Touring with Axe Fx, what to bring?

Erik Hammero

Inspired
I'm doing a good bit of touring with my AF2 MK1 and wonder if there is something like "spare parts" I should bring? I have it in a shock rack with a power conditioner but should I bring like an extra PSU or an extra Eprom? Or? I use a cat5 cable with the MFC and will bring double of all cables included ordinary midi cables and an extra power supply for it. Anything else I should consider besides an extra Axe Fx. ☺

Besides an axe-fx ii xl, nothing, I think you have it well covered. Shock rack is the most crucial part, IMO.

mark 1 you can backup your presets and system locally on the box. I'd check and see if you have a boot rom, if not order one. but if you arent messing with firmwares you probably wont need it.

mark 1 you can backup your presets and system locally on the box. I'd check and see if you have a boot rom, if not order one. but if you arent messing with firmwares you probably wont need it.

I won't be messing with any updates while I'm on the road but would it be wise to have a spare boot rom? Have read that some have gotten into some trouble with the PSU but is that a thing I also should consider, you think?

I tour with my AxeFX in a shock rack. It's never given me any trouble while touring. I also have my "emergency" rig in my briefcase : a Line6 M9. If the extremely remote possibility of an AxeFX failure, I can switch over and limp through the show using the M9. I've never had to use it.

Given that you have a shock rack and a power conditioner, you're probably pretty well prepared for most of the physical logistics. As others have suggested, make sure you back up you patches. I really wish the AxeFX and the MFC-101 had the ability to store / load their sysex from a USB thumb drive. That would be a very handy way to manage and back up everything without needing a laptop on the road, and in case of any issue you could just reinitialize the unit and reload your sysex.

Add that to the wish list for sure. A bootable Usb thumb drive port, wouldn't take up much space and be a huge benefit to the axe-ii.

I tour a lot. Fly with my axe fx a lot. Have a shock mount rack and never use it. :0) I always have to get on the plane and off with it. So ipuse a 2 space rack bag. :0) but I hear on the shock mount if your not carrying it your self. I bring my system and bank A back up on a thumb drive just incase I have to load them into a new unit or a borrowed one on the road. I would suggest bringing back up of presets and system.

I've eased mine inside and outside of the country with no power issues. In face the only issues I have had have been checking my MFC. 101 on flights and the airlines losing my bag.....5 times! Once it never came back. So for those times now. If I check the Mfc I carry on a small liquid foot jr plus. Again I have to be able to get of the plane an play . :0)

Echoing the sentiments for above.

I helped build Def Leppards rigs. I would also recommend backing up your presets in a cloud service such as Dropbox. I taped spare copies of presets and settings to thumb drives gaffed tape to the rig, dated etc. spares of everything is always a no brainer

I also have a spare power supply and a couple of eproms in my bag, as well as a 10.1" Winbook touchscreen tablet to use for Axe Edit/Fractal Bot, etc.
have a great tour

Back
Top Bottom