Totally BIASed Video

These kind of comparisons I enjoy. Whenever something new comes out everyone, has to jump on it to be the first to demo and rave how its the best amp sim ever!
The reality of it IF Cliff, becomes slightly threatened by any of these "other" amp sims, we all know he'll be in his lab figuring out what makes them what they are and finding a way to make the AXE sound x1000 better.

So, I say keep these comparisons coming. Cliff, needs to stay fresh and on his toes. ;)

I tried the Bias, but the latency was terrible. I have a beefy system, 8 cores, 32gb ram, using a Focusrite pro 40 to my computer to Reaper, still to much latency for my taste.

I tried the Bias, but the latency was terrible. I have a beefy system, 8 cores, 32gb ram, using a Focusrite pro 40 to my computer to Reaper, still to much latency for my taste.

I have bias on my ipad and I have the exact same problem.
I bought it for practice at night...but never us it because the latency gets annoying. Especially the more you edit.

It doesn't come close to sounding as good as my axe....but I can certainly play it and be happy....if the latency wasn't so bad.

I have bias on my ipad and I have the exact same problem.
I bought it for practice at night...but never us it because the latency gets annoying. Especially the more you edit.

It doesn't come close to sounding as good as my axe....but I can certainly play it and be happy....if the latency wasn't so bad.

Totally man, I would of picked it up just to have for quick recordings and such, but latency is a deal breaker for me. I am sure someone will jump in and say they get none, and that is great for them, but they need to take in to account that I've been building my own systems for over 30 years and have a pretty deep knowledge of how to build monster systems and so I am pretty confident it's not my setup and I sure will not change a setup that is rock solid to get it working.

Totally man, I would of picked it up just to have for quick recordings and such, but latency is a deal breaker for me. I am sure someone will jump in and say they get none, and that is great for them, but they need to take in to account that I've been building my own systems for over( 30 years and have a pretty deep knowledge of how to build monster systems and so I am pretty confident it's not my setup and I sure will not change a setup that is rock solid to get it working.

Yes, the latency is terrible on the iPad version of bias. On the PC version it's noticeable, although not totally disastrous ( but it depends on your hardware and asio driver and buffer settings).

Latency is never a factor for me on axefx.
I think it's kind of important to be able to play in time :) and latency certainly doesn't help matters.

Well, didn't Meshuggah use the stock VST amp sims in Cubase for Koloss, and use the Axe as an AD converter? They use the Axe live though.

It's pretty easy to get a decent high gain tone out of most modellers and software. Where it gets tricky is with mid and low gain tones. It's also tricky to get the guitar tone to come through in most high gain sims where the Axe shines. At a guess I'd say that other sims tend to use some form of noise generator (harmonics unrelated to the fundamental of the input signal) rather than simulating the distortion characteristics of a tube amp.

Sounds good but that guy is a "pain in the ass".
Really? I'd say it's a "bi in the ass". Ba-dum-dish.

@thread: are we really comparing a $2.000 unit with a $200 software? Why does anyone feel the urge to defend the Axe over this in any way? For the price point, Bias is an amazing product and I'd definitely feel no shame recommending it to anyone who wants a budget recording solution.

Last edited:
Yes, the latency is terrible on the iPad version of bias. On the PC version it's noticeable, although not totally disastrous ( but it depends on your hardware and asio driver and buffer settings).

Latency is never a factor for me on axefx.
I think it's kind of important to be able to play in time :) and latency certainly doesn't help matters.

Exactly, Use my Focus Pro 40 with ASIO, and get 0 latency when using the axe II and the Pro Asio, with the Bias it's just to much to do any real recording. I am sure if I changed my setup it can be made to work, but No way would I change a perfectly solid setup for it. I then went to their site to see if there were any tips, nope, they have 0 help on the subject, "acting as if there isnt' an issue, when there is since I know my system is a beast compared to the average user" and so that tells me they probably have some weak customer service "another thing I dislike" and so yeah not for me:)

i guess if you reamp with bias it could be useful for hobbyists?? i could see it being useful in that situation. i've heard other demos where it sounds good. it's a decent product, sounds much better than guitar rig or anything like that, to me....but comparing it to the Axe...lets be for real, lol

Let's see if they can fix the latency issue... this could definitely be a gamechanger for the bedroom guitarist.

I'd love to have a light practice rig I can use anywhere with just my 14" note. And with mobiles getting more and more CPU, I can see this end up in an app sooner or later.

Yeah, I think BIAS sounds good for a budget plug-in, but not in the same ballpark with our beloved magic black box - wow, they were really lost in the first mix they used as an example - but they needed to compare it to the best, so be happy, we have what they're trying to demonstrate their product holds a candle to! Now here's a much fairer comparison and I think most you will enjoy this test, I swear since they sound pretty much the same, I picked which samples I just liked better and the Axe won each time (and this is not a vid trying to sell you anything - well maybe that T-shirt :D ) Some decent jamming on this one too, with a real drummer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EtxHlJ2FPo

This is what is missing Axe-Fx - free VST-plugin for owners hard device. Axe-Edit is the great thing but I'd like to edit everything inside host

This is what is missing Axe-Fx - free VST-plugin for owners hard device. Axe-Edit is the great thing but I'd like to edit everything inside host

Sounds more like a free plugin for everyone. :lol Piracy would kill FAS.

Anyways I did this test now and I'm going to release the results in an ML Sound Lab Episode. I did a completely fair comparison. I used the same IR for both units since both have tone matching. Then I compared the JCM800 and Recto models of both to one another. IMO there's no comparison since it literally felt like comparing Guitar Rig to Axe-Fx. You can be the judge when the video is out. :)

I bought iPad Bias on sale for five bucks. Five bucks!

No, it's not even close to an alternative to the Axe....but it's not quite little league compared to MLB either. For five bucks, it's bloody amazing.

I do have to say the OP video will probably hurt their sales more than help, though.

Back
Top Bottom