TOTAL newbie question!

I think any gator or skb case will work. I have mine in a 4 rack space skb. So I have the Axe (2) spaces. Power cond (1) space and wireless (1) space. Since you are going to use a power amp you might need a bigger case. But welcome to the Axe Family you are going be so happy you bought one. Also you may want a pedal or two to control your wah and volume. Fractal has a really nice pedal now and a lot of people like the Misson pedals. I use a Misson sp-1 that allows me to control wah and volume with one pedal. And Chris from axefextutorials.com has a great video to teach you how to set that up.

Well guess what everyone?! I took back the gear I purchased within the last 30 days to GC and got my 100% REFUND! I had bought the 5150III 50W head and 2x12 cab as well as the Fender American Tele, and Fender Twin Reverb (what a heavy mofo that beast was!)

Total refund - $4300!

So HELLO FRACTAL AXE FX II XL+ !

WOOHOO!

Getting the Axe, MFC 101 MIDI foot controller. probably the Carvin TS100 TUBE Power Amp and...XiTone 2x12 stereo speaker cab which, I believe, is FRFR

Feel free to him in and recommend. Like what is a good rack to hold my new gear? And I also could add some extra money if I need to so... Let me know what you think!

Damn I am so excited!

Welcome to the Machine!

And would it be better to get a something like a Carvin TS100 TUBE power amp as opposed to a solid state like the Matrix GT? Just curious if that makes much of a difference. I want to get the right equipment the first time haha!

I am so glad I found this product AND this great forum! Very helpful and I REALLY appreciate everyone taking the time to help me.
I use FRFR, but I have read numerous times on the forum that most folks using power amp & cab say go with a SS amp.
I have no experience , just what I have read over the last few years.
Just might be worth doing a search on this-plenty of threads about it

You made a great decision - best one I ever made in 30+ years of playing guitar

Many users (myself included) are of the opinion that FRFR is the way to go… you've got myriad amps and cabs inside the Axe; why lock yourself into running all of them through a head and cab that will add their own coloration to everything you play?

Last edited:
When I get this Fractal set up would I just run it through a 2x12 cab and get rid of my Vox, Fender and 5150 III head? As well as my h9's etc?
Im just confused as to how most musicians use this.
It seems like its so awesome at amp modeling that it would be strange to run it through an amp?

I run my AFX through an A/B switcher that goes to my Samson Studio monitors then out to my Mackie mixer (EQ flat) out to 2 Alto Professional TS115A speakers. This helps me get flat response near field modification, then live front of house simulation on the fly.

When I use it live, I always plug in FOH on stage (Out 1) and have some sort of powered wedge or IEMs (Out 2) to monitor my tone. Typically I am playing it at church over the weekends and only require stereo out from Output 1 into the main mix as we have an on stage IEM solution.

Personally I would invest in some solid studio monitors for proper FRFR monitoring to see how the AFX will respond for your specific tone(s).
EDIT: XiTone cabs are perfect so you're all set ;)

Whenever you plug in your AFX to an amp you're adding "color" as they say which could sound completely different if you send it FOH making it more "flat". You wouldn't want to improperly dial in all your tone specifically for your particular amp you're monitoring through.

Well guess what everyone?! I took back the gear I purchased within the last 30 days to GC and got my 100% REFUND! I had bought the 5150III 50W head and 2x12 cab as well as the Fender American Tele, and Fender Twin Reverb (what a heavy mofo that beast was!)

Total refund - $4300!

So HELLO FRACTAL AXE FX II XL+ !

WOOHOO!

Getting the Axe, MFC 101 MIDI foot controller. probably the Carvin TS100 TUBE Power Amp and...XiTone 2x12 stereo speaker cab which, I believe, is FRFR

Feel free to him in and recommend. Like what is a good rack to hold my new gear? And I also could add some extra money if I need to so... Let me know what you think!

Damn I am so excited!

Speaking from experience about the TS100 do yourself a favor and purchase something like the Carvin DCM1540L instead. I have the TS100 and while it sounds ok with the Axe I just got the 1540L and it just works better with it. The tS100 adds a certain fizz or something when using the power amp modeling but is just lacking something when you disable it. These problems do not exist when using the 1540L.

That being said if your still determined to use the tS100 i have one with brand new tubes I might sell you...lol.

Just 1 month ago I would have told you I would NEVER use a solid state amp over tubes. I've been playing tube amps for the better part of 40 years and the Axe Fx has changed my mind......

Welcome to AX world.. Like anything, you need to think about your goals.. I bought the AXE cause i wanted to lighten my load playing live.. I didn't want to have to carry all that stuff. Old rig was one or 2 Marshall 4X12's Rack unit with Mesa 50/50 power amp. TC Electronics Effects units ( X 2) ADA MP1 Preamp. Wireless guitar rig, power, midi pedal and volume and wah on the floor.. Rack weighed a Ton. Plus the cabs.. That's 3 trips right there.. Now add 3 guitars, Cable bag, ect and so fourth.. I would have to make at least 4 -5 Trips to the van. Now I have gone very minimal in my rig.. I have a 6 space RACK with wheels ( suite case style) ( AXE, Wireless guitar , IEM transmiters, and power) Another case for the MFC101. Thats IT !!! I run nothing on stage for volume/monitoring. I Run Output 1 L/R to FOH , Out 2 left only into IEM Transmitter Left input and then FOH monitor mix into my right channel. Then Run my receiver in mono mode so I can hear my guitar and the monitor mix. I start with my output 2 volume all the way down and have the FOH engineer set up my Monitor mix with everything in it ( My guitar + everything else).. Then I will add just a touch of output 2 which is just guitar. This way I will always have guitar in my ears if for some reason FOH monitor mix goes to hell.. Also i can mess with my guitar and such with out having to have it going to any body else.. Works great. Rest of band took some getting used to not having cranked guitar on stage and now having to have it all in there monitors, . But FOH guys love it.. easy to mix. If you don't have IEM then you would want to have some type of FRFR personal monitor so you can hear yourself. or amp and cab as the rest have talked about.. But again.. if your looking to lighten the load.. whats the point of bringing a amp and cab.. thats my 2 cents.. have fun. Takes some getting used to but you will love it in the end..

Back
Top Bottom