Top Gear fans? Clarkson sacked from TG

I agree that one shouldn’t always accept another opinion without facts to back it up. I believed I read your post carefully before responding but nonetheless, misinterpreted your intentions. Please accept my apologies.

And please accept my apologies if the way the post was written was unclear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sure. Without verbal inflection, the written word can be a bit cryptic.

Agreed.

I do my best to be as clear as possible, but like you say, there are important contextual clues in speech that don't exist in text.

And beside the occasional smiley, I refuse to resort to emoticons.

There has to be a better way! If anyone knows of one I'm totally onboard.

:) :D :I :( :,,,,(

;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve resorted to using them occasionally but dislike doing so.

On the other hand, had the aforementioned, Mr. Clarkson, elected to text with an :mad: instead of fisticuffs he might still be employed at the BBC. (I will avoid ending this with an emoticon).

If you look at a situation in all its simplicity, then yes, taking action to defend yourself or loved ones is an easy choice. Every healthy growing boy knows this because all the cartoons are written that way. But most of the time in life, there are complications or unknowns that affect what the right choice is.

For example, what do you do when your out with your kids and a group of guys are causing trouble for you? Do you stand your ground and take them all on and inevitably get beaten in front of your kids? How much trouble / insult warrants you getting violent? How can you protect your kids when you just got pummelled into a pulp?

What if the other guy is mentally unhealthy / high off his rocker? Can you guarantee yourself that he is going to be beat you down in a gentlemanly way?

Some of you might laugh at this but there are some people you just don't mess with (bikies, drug dealers etc) unless you want follow on trouble

My general solution is within reason to avoid situations where I or my family are vulnerable. Its easy. In the majority of confrontations between adults, alcohol is nearby.

Back
Top Bottom