Top. frfr speakers?

Tommymo

Inspired
Does anyone have a favourite fr speaker they recommend for the Fm3. It seems the choices at our local music stores in Canada are limited. Thoughts?

Lots of options in Canada, just look for full range powered cabinets. Yorkville has a great selection for example.

You actually don't need to buy an FRFR PA Cab marketed for "modeling devices." And while I did initially buy a pair of Atomic CLR wedges for the Axe-Fx II, I realized pretty quickly its just not necessary.

I played just over 40 dates using a Behringer EPQ 2000 power amp out to a pair of Peavey 215 cabinets. Dialed in for that rig and nothing but compliments.

YMMV

Headrush FRFR 108 is pretty good for the price. I've not long bought a Friedman ASC-10 and that sounds really good. Programming presets on my studio monitors usually translates very well and vice versa.

Headrush FRFR 108 is pretty good for the price. I've not long bought a Friedman ASC-10 and that sounds really good. Programming presets on my studio monitors usually translates very well and vice versa.

Headrush 108 or the 12" version works. How is the Friedman compared to the 108 in terms of sound? My back loves the 108 and cannot justify buying the Friedman...my cork sniffing days are all but over.

This all day long!!! 110% & it’s always good to build your presets on neutral studio speakers at gig volume. Then check them again at gig volume on your FRFR system.

I love the Headrush FRFR-108’s as a stereo pair for personal stage monitoring only.

If I had to fill a smaller room, I’d use a pair of Friedman ASC-10’s.

We all tend to recommend what we’ve purchased, but I think there are many good options here. This thread (& countless others) lists lots of great choices at all different price points.

Good luck in your quest!

Tim

Last edited:
I had once rented a Yorkville YX10p from Long & McQuade and liked it. I currently own the Headrush FRFR108 and it's good for the money, but I think I liked the Yorkville slightly more. I thinks it's about 150$ more than the headrush though, but still good price. Also, they go on sale often. I think next month is Yorkville month at Long and McQuade, so you can expect to find sales on a bunch of their stuff.

Headrush 108 or the 12" version works. How is the Friedman compared to the 108 in terms of sound? My back loves the 108 and cannot justify buying the Friedman...my cork sniffing days are all but over.

Both sound pretty awesome! I find the Headrush to be a little harsher which is to be expected as it's made of plastic and not birch. I'd recommend the ASC10 instead of the 12 it weighs a lot less. I just wanted that feel of a guitar cab in the room which you definitely get with the Friedman. The most important thing like Tim said it needs to translate well from my studio monitors to the headrush and to the Friedman and it definitely does.

I'd try one with your rig first to see if you like it. Maybe buy one from a dealer that has a good returns policy.

Thanks again for the recommendation on the Friedman by the way Tim.

CLR's are awesome. I"ve had mine since 2013 and they are so clear and handle anything you throw at it. I love them as they double as monitors for my keyboard and general music listening. They work great as mixing monitors also. I put my bass through them last night and equally did that well. I'm a canuck as well and bought them on faith; based on all the research and this forum at the time. I recall getting stung pretty good with import duties but it was well worth it.

You can pretty much cross the CLR off the list if you’re hoping to find a new one. They’re pretty much vapor ware at this point. That aside they haven’t even posted on Twitter since 2015, and aren’t much more active on other channels.

You can pretty much cross the CLR off the list if you’re hoping to find a new one. They’re pretty much vapor ware at this point. That aside they haven’t even posted on Twitter since 2015, and aren’t much more active on other channels.
They sold a bunch just a few months ago...

Do you base all your gear purchases based on Twitter activity? ;)

I use a pair of JBL EON612 with the FM3 and before with the AX8.
Why? It is very flat, and is the most used powered speaker around here and many other places, so you are always sure that you are gonna sound exactly like home when you are though the PA system.

QSC K10 is what I've used with many modellers and now with the FM3. In my experience, this monitor is very close to what I hear with my Westone IEM's and require very little tweaking at the soundboard.

Back
Top Bottom