Tool - Fear Inoculum

iaresee

Administrator
GET IN MAH FRIKKIN' EAR HOLES!

Screen Shot 2019-08-31 at 9.04.24 AM.png

So good. The ultra-dry mix is fantastic. Sounds so upfront and aggressive.

Culling Voices almost sounds like Tool writing a Rush song.

I got to listen to the whole thing end-to-end on the drive home yesterday. With the windows down and a full-on spectucular, blue sky California sunshine afternoon. It was perfect.

And can I just point out the similarities in that tone on Litanie contre la Peur and this thing I was noodling around with months ago? You think Adam Jones hangs out on the forum? :D

Last edited:
GET IN MAH FRIKKIN' EAR HOLES!

View attachment 57870

So good. The ultra-dry mix is fantastic. Sounds so upfront and aggressive.

Descending almost sounds like Tool writing a Rush song.

I got to listen to the whole thing end-to-end on the drive home yesterday. With the windows down and a full-on spectucular, blue sky California sunshine afternoon. It was perfect.

And can I just point out the similarities in that tone on Litanie contre la Peur and this thing I was noodling around with months ago? You think Adam Jones hangs out on the forum? :D

I just was told by the beer and music director (!) of my fave Chicago restaurant (The Publican) that he is a synth tech as well, and is hitting the road with Tool this fall!

The album sounds great but I was really underwhelmed my first listen. I felt like there was a lot of stuff that was just directionless. Just repeating a simple riff for minutes at a time with little to no development. I’ll give it a few more listens though.

The album sounds great but I was really underwhelmed my first listen. I felt like there was a lot of stuff that was just directionless. Just repeating a simple riff for minutes at a time with little to no development. I’ll give it a few more listens though.
I can definitely see this point of view. Lot of very long tracks on the album. It’s more instrumental than anything previous.

Tool is not specially my cup of tea (as I prefer beer) but this album is pleasing. It has something...interesting even if I can’t pinpoint what. Subtilities you feel but don’t catch at firt listening.

I don’t get people not liking this album. To me, it just sounds like an extension of Lateralus and 10,000 Days with new vocals.

I don’t get people not liking this album. To me, it just sounds like an extension of Lateralus and 10,000 Days with new vocals.

To me, it sounds like a bunch of filler, unfinished ideas, and overlong jam sessions that don't really go anywhere. Maynard also sounds really disengaged on every song where he makes an appearance. When I compare it to previous releases, it's barely even consequential. I'm not shitting on anyone who loves it, just stating my feelings on the subject.

To me, it sounds like a bunch of filler, unfinished ideas, and overlong jam sessions that don't really go anywhere. Maynard also sounds really disengaged on every song. When I compare it to previous releases, it's barely even consequential. I'm not shitting on anyone who loves it, just stating my feelings on the subject.
I’ve listened to it several times and it’s grown on me each time. Nothing really stands out like Aenima or Lateralus. This one is more of a slow burn, even for Tool.

I’ve listened to it several times and it’s grown on me each time. Nothing really stands out like Aenima or Lateralus. This one is more of a slow burn, even for Tool.

I would call it a slow burn too if I ever felt the fire at some point. I just...don't in this case. I've always had a very visceral reaction to their material. FI just sort of...washes over me, like background music or something. I hate myself a little for even typing that out, but that's where I'm at.

I think that’s the approach. I have to be in the mood for certain things. Some Meshuggah albums had me feeling the same way. First listen was “wtf is this.” Then one day it was like Ohhhhh and it’s been on repeat for years now.

I just appreciate that they’re using real instruments and the basically same tones for all songs. I’m tired of the “single” mentality where you use very specific special sounds to define a song rather than just writing a good song.

Their whole “no streaming” thing left a bad taste in my mouth for a while. Yet I completely understand. So haven’t listened to Tool for years and years. Glad we have something now that can be accessed like all my other favorite artists.

Back
Top Bottom