tool clip : jambi. patch available.

I tried opening the patch file in Axe-Edit for my Axe-FX standard and it's not working right. Is this an Ultra patch?

simon this is indeed an ultra patch. i think it might be too much processor load for the standard?

burner.. thats 2 tracks one panned hard left, the other hard right.

zorran:
Awesome tone, and awesome playing! I agree with what everyone else is saying. You could've fooled me saying those were original recordings from the song :)

I got my Axe-FX standard yesterday, and I was sad to see I couldn't load up this patch. I have tried loading it up and then piece by piece taking things away, but I'm not getting any sound at all since I'm still learning how to use Axe-Edit and whatnot. Also, I'm not sure it actually loads in everything needed or stops halfway when it detects CPU overload.

In any case, I'm asking if you, or anyone else for that matter, has any tips on how to achieve a similar (but watered down) version of this tone for the Axe-FX standard.
I was dying to play with this tone (without reading the whole thread), and I'm hoping to play something at least a bit similar some time in the future. If I can, I will post some results if I manage to learn and tweak it myself. But in the meantime, if anyone feels inclined, please post some tips, or a ready standard version tone!

slave said:
Great work man and thanx for the patch!

I think there is a market out there for people that are very good at mixing and who understands what is needed to achieve a particular guitar sound with the AxeFx. The problem with patches is that they sound different when using a different guitar. If you are a semi-professional AxeFx "dude" you could set up a service where you allowed people to post a clip of a guitar sound they wanted and also post a clip of themselves recording parts of these riffs dry with their own guitar. Then create a patch on the dry tracks and send the patch back to the customer. I would be happy to pay for a service like this :) So, anybody up for the job?

yea i was thinking the same thing a while back. I think lots of people would pay a few bucks for that.

Is there any chance someone could repost the patch? Since the forum migrated over, patches posted before then are now corrupted and can't be used.

Thanks,
Bill

I would be interested in grabbing this too. Any chance of a re-upload, Zorran? Also, any chance you can share the main meat of how you achieved the sound for us Standard users who cannot upload your patch?

I don't know what firmware this was made on, but it's likely it won't sound the same now as it did when Zorran originally did it. That being said...

Skadoosh!

Attachments

• Tool 00Z.syx
    2 KB · Views: 146
hey your clip sounds absolutely incredible!!!!! i uploaded it to my ultra and i seem to be getting some seriously horrible low end rumble happening (seems to be coming from the Das Metal). i tried adjusting the low cut on the amp but was still very much there. tried changing the 1st band of the 1st PEQ in turning it into a blocking EQ and it seemed to kill the rumble but also heavily affected the intended tone. why would this be happenning? what's a good way to eliminate this?

Last edited:
ZZ Top! This patch wasn't working when I borrowed Keshav's Ultra :-( Just loaded up an empty patch. Or maybe I was doing something wrong?

Great Job man!

the guitar was a 1 month old stock les paul studio. pretty nice guitar for all stock. think it should sound fairly similar on most guitars :)

Zorran,

Great job on this patch! My friend/bandmate and I were just discussing the other day how much Adam's sound has evolved/changed over the years and through the albums! If you've played some of there older stuff, do you find some tangible (and drastic) differences between (what I call) his "post-millenium guitar-sound" (Lateralus & 10,000 Days LP's) versus his "1990's-era guitar-sound" (Opiate EP, Undertow & Aeinima LP's)? I'm just curious if you hear it that way too?!?

For example in the 1990's, I sense that Adam went for a less pre-gain, more bass, and less upper-midrange frequencies. I think that may have been a result of his "multiple/parallel amp-blending" and choosing to use a much higher percentage (%-blend) of Modded Marshall Super Bass, (NO amp-blending, and thus 100%-Marshall very early on - for Opiate EP & Undertow LP; approx. "50%-Marshall & 50%-Diezel" on Aenima LP; approx. "40%-Marshall & 60%-Diezel" on Lateralus LP: and approx. "20%-Marshall & 60%-Diezel & 20%-others-combined" - I.E. Rivera, Peavey, Mesa, etc. - on 10,000 Days LP.) These are NOT facts, but just approximations based on articles I've read AND what my ears tell me - LOL! The other noticeable difference I hear (especially on the most recent 10,000 Days LP) is a brighter/more-"attacky" upper-midrange emphasis, AND a seemingly MUCH wider stereo-image on the majority of the rhythm-guitars! (As your "Jambi" demonstration accurately seems to have been mixed with such a wide stereo-image!) Besides the amps and raw-tone differences, I think it's pretty clear that Adam has also gradually (over the years) developed more of a fondness for effects to help create his amazing Tool-Textures! Early on (1990-1995) he had cited a bit of disdain for very elaborate/complex/"effect-laden" guitar-rigs. He obviously uses many more effects now than he did in 1992, but that WAS a long-ass time ago - LOL!

Anyways, those are my general thoughts on Adam's tones from early-on until more recently. Do you agree with what I've mentioned in general, or do you hear it much differently? I'm just curious, because after hearing your "Jambi"-demo, I respect your excellent ears and playing abilities too!

P.S. I'm NOT sure I completely agree with your assessment of "...think it should sound fairly similar on most guitars" I mean, "fairly similar" as you say, YES! However, as an example: A vintage Gibson Silverburst LP Custom (with a Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge-position) will have decidely more midrange AND output-level than a Gibson Les Paul Studio with stock PAF-type humbucker-pickups. There is also the differences in wood-density and finishes from "one-guitar-to-another," which (IMO) would affect the "brightness/treble-response" too. All of the aforementioned would affect the PEQ-parameters, as well as pre-gain/front-end amp-tab parameters/characteristics within the patch. I think we can safely assume that NO ONE will try to cop the Adam Jones "Jambi" tone with a "stock-Telecaster" - LOL! That all said, I'm sure your patch is an AWESOME point-of-reference for most humbucker-equipped guitars, which would then require minimum-tweakage!

Excellent job!

~Bill~

All patches that were migrated from the old Fractal forum are corrupt. Hopefully someone saved this who still reads the board and can re-upload. I'd love a pre-made Tool preset.

For those who can't get the patch to work, go back to post #28. Sidivan's uploaded patch worked fine in the latest editor for me.

Back
Top Bottom