Too much 1k mids in amp models?

Hi there all. So I'm doing this the whole time, that I'm owning the FM3 and want to clarify it finally.

To me, all the amp models in the FM3 sound like they have way too much of the 1k mids! This makes the sound very soft and mid focused, but looses any aggressivity in the top end and doesn't have a proper low end. I tried to compare this to a real savage 60 amp a real 5150 head and a Marshall JCM800. Even the Peavey had way less of that midrange! This actually isn't really the mids you need in the guitar sound, as they mostly fight with the vocals. When I try and scoop out the 1k around 4dB with Q=4, then the sound becomes more real. Adding some 1-2dB in the 2k and 4k region and some 3dB in the 125Hz gives it the final shape of a real amp. I'm playing the FM3 over a Matrix GT1000Fx and a real 4x12 ENGL V30/V60 cabinet. No IR is active in the patch, it's just amp, drive pedal an a noise gate. I tried to play with the impedance curve of the speaker in the FM3, but it didn't help. Also I have the FM3 amp block in SS amp + cab setup. I just want to know what is the motivation behind? Even when recording a real amp through a loadbox and then applying the same IR, you can hear a massive difference!

You can also find tons of videos on YT where the axe III / FM3 can be easily recognized by just listening to the midrange... Even the Kemper doesn't have this strange feature.

Yep, Parametric EQ with Q=4 and then 125Hz +3dB, scoop mids around 1k -4dB, then +1-2dB on the 2k and 4k range. Bang and the axe sound so much better. I haven't been able to figure our any amp parameter to make this as close as possible. I usually play with the pwr amp hardness and then the speaker impedance curve. Though raising the resonance of the cab to 200% helps a ton in making better note definition, it does not solve this problem with the mids. Neither does playing with the high/low resonances. I'm just still wondering why this is so? It's on the cleans as well.

I am experiencing the mid-range thing too, but to date it hasn't been anything that bothered me that much. Yes, after layering 4 or 5 tracks there's a buildup of mids, but I've always had that anyway without changing eq/guitars/cabs with each track. So Milan I will try this on a couple of presets - thanks for the tip.

Well, I do.... I am thinking of miking up the ENGL Savage and 5150 through the the cab vs miking the FM3 through matrix and the same cab and mic...

you need to run the FM3 into the same power section , running g a matrix against a tube power amp is going to show some differences for sure

Actually sounded that the Kemper had more mids in the video. The only way we're I could do some proper A/B test was with an old Morgan AC40, and there I heard no significant difference. (Standard Amp deviation)

I don't think that this is by intention, but just the way the models sound which they are modeled after.

Haven’t heard any particular sound “signature” with the fm3. Some say they can pick a kemper on a blind test due to something like that. I guess my ears are not that good

I love the sound of FM3 but I tend to agree that there is more mids on FM3. I specially remarked this when translating FM3 patches to Axe FX II. It is more or less variable with the amp, and quite pronounced with Plexis. I love the sound of the Plexis in FM3 though ;-). I don't have their physical counterparts, maybe it is related to the absence of ultra IR's in FM3 ?

Post scriptum : I suggest though you have a look in the speakertab from the amp block in FM3 vs Axe Fx II. You'll notice that the HF EQ and Q are mostly situated in 1200-1600Hz for FM3 while generally there are lower values parametered in the Axe Fx II speakertab.

You sure you don't have an expression pedal set to always on, in wah mode, so that it sounds like a wah in the half-cocked position all the time? My AxeFx3 sounds superb, running into a pair of Line 6 PowerCab Pluses set to FRFR mode. Certainly no 1KHz hump in there. But I DID get that with AustinBuddy's Gold pack - until he figured out that I needed to set the expression pedal setting on the unit itself to 100%. I don't have an expression pedal attached.

Back
Top Bottom