Too high demand for FAS products?

I see your point as well, and agree that it could be done, but still has risks. Delivering on an exact date is almost impossible. Being overly conservative or aggressive risks losing and alienating customers, probably more than saying nothing.

True but that's why one would say "estimated" in addition to the current notification method this way customers are somewhat informed and the company is not locked into making promises it can't keep. As long as the customers knows this going in I don't see any issues with this type of deal. I know I would personally would like this type of notification as opposed to just "will send you an email when you name comes up on the list".

I think if they were taking deposits, or partial payments they should provide an estimated delivery date, but they are not. We will get it when we get it. I am personally planning on June. Anything before then and I will be pleasantly surprised and after that will be mild disappointment.

True but that's why one would say "estimated" in addition to the current notification method this way customers are somewhat informed and the company is not locked into making promises it can't keep. As long as the customers knows this going in I don't see any issues with this type of deal. I know I would personally would like this type of notification as opposed to just "will send you an email when you name comes up on the list".

I am new to all this, but it seems prior products have been "over promised", with multiple missed delivery dates. It makes sense the company might be less than enthusiastic about promising dates given their experience with the challenges in delivering prior new products.

I get as a consumer it is frustrating. Especially as it is a relatively large capital expenditure, and some peoples livelihood is even tied to it. Typically in business it is better to "under promise and over deliver", but sometimes it is even better/easier to say nothing.

I see your point as well, and agree that it could be done, but still has risks. Delivering on an exact date is almost impossible. Being overly conservative or aggressive risks losing and alienating customers, probably more than saying nothing.
I agree with you. The problem is this: FAS doesn't "say nothing."

They drop hints on here and on FB and IG and twitter. They post photos of giant stacks of boxes. They tell people to get on the wait list "next week"... then they DON'T post a wait list. They say, October shipping. Then they say Q4 shipping (which is technically correct for a select few). Then they say well after the holidays. Then crickets. Either communicate, or don't communicate -- that's all people want.

When I realized it was going to be 4-6 months longer than the initial time frame FAS posted, I bought another Kemper. So I'm all good for now. The AX8 can come in 2017 and it won't bother me.

It's the passive/aggressive marketing approach that people are generally turned off by. And I won't pollute the subject any further.

Last edited:
I agree with you. The problem is this: FAS doesn't "say nothing."

They drop hints on here and on FB and IG and twitter. They post photos of giant stacks of boxes. They tell people to get on the wait list "next week"... then they DON'T post a wait list. They say, October shipping. Then they say Q4 shipping (which is technically correct for a select few). Then they say well after the holidays. Then crickets. Either communicate, or don't communicate -- that's all people want.

When I realized it was going to be 4-6 months longer than the initial time frame FAS posted, I bought another Kemper. So I'm all good for now. The AX8 can come in 2017 and it won't bother me.

It's the passive/aggressive people are generally turned off by. And I won't pollute the subject any further.

I think that's the best way I've heard it put. Either communicate or don't. Either extreme is fine, but semi-communication is just frustrating to people.

A while back I took a small business building course, and one thing they stressed a lot was to "stay small or go big- the middle ground will kill you." Going big results in a loss of control by product developers, as bean counters and investors end up forcing a lot of decisions on them. Fractal has steadily been increasing their product line up, but adding staff and facilities to increase distribution would bring them closer to that dangerous middle ground. Staying small allows them to maintain high quality standards while minimizing their risk of investment failure. And so we wait... ;)

I remember when companies like PRS had almost 2 year waiting period to get a guitar and they would take part of your money up front. As much as everyone would love to give FAS their cash to ensure they get their unit FAS is cool enough to say no we will just put you on a list when it is your turn we will let you know

Agreed!
I don't really have a problem with long waiting times, sure it would be cool to pick it up in a store,
but some things are worth the wait. I've been taking part in the development and birth of my own custom amp
for 1.5 years now, and it is just now finally coming to life (will be delivered this weekend).

Waited 6 months for my custom Fibenare, will probably wait 4 months+ for my two custom orders from Smitty guitars..
10401926_515488798632628_6238842107931194583_n (1).jpg

Last edited:
To no one in particular-just a statement.........they also do have a product for sale , so if its that important that folks need to tell FAS what they should and shouldn't do---sell something and buy an axefx---The product is available last time I looked.
I am not a rich person by any means but if I wanted one I would sell what I could and get one--actually that's what I did a long time ago.

To no one in particular-just a statement.........they also do have a product for sale , so if its that important that folks need to tell FAS what they should and shouldn't do---sell something and buy an axefx---The product is available last time I looked.
I am not a rich person by any means but if I wanted one I would sell what I could and get one--actually that's what I did a long time ago.
This does not help if you want an AX8. If you want an BMW it does not help to sell your house and by a Porsche. The people are exchanging ideas. FAS will anyway do what they want and maybe catch an idea here. And the people waist the time until IT arrives.

This does not help if you want an AX8. If you want an BMW it does not help to sell your house and by a Porsche. The people are exchanging ideas. FAS will anyway do what they want and maybe catch an idea here. And the people waist the time until IT arrives.

Yes I understand that-Just don't get the Monday morning quarterback stuff. I guess if that's what one has to do to justify waiting, well ok then.

When we all waited for the AxefxII, or whatever there was not nearly all this "this is how you should run your business stuff" That's all.
FAS gets "pushed" by outright outrage almost so they sometimes feel compelled to say something.....I wish they wouldn't either.

It does not hurt sales...if someone does not want to wait they won't, simple really. Just seems really crazy this time around-Maybe price point has something to do with it. Obviously.....Whatever...............

Course if you take too long you run the risk people will lose interest or buy something else or just simply not have the money when the time comes to buy. Technology moves fast - I'd be nervous making people wait a year plus for something.

Once you release a product you need to distribute it as quick as you can while the hype is big. Taking a long time to roll out stuff would hamper my own progress with research and new product releases.

Also, you don't have to hire full time employees during a busy season with full benefits. I'd just contract what was needed and get it done - offer overtime incentives to existing employees etc. Perhaps they don't do this because of quality concern or something not sure.

In any case I know there's been tons of times I've been excited about a guitar or amp and on the wait list for it to come out - and if I finally got that email like 4-6 months later I almost every time just deleted it cause I'd moved on and grown tired of waiting.

The FAS model seems to be based mainly on that one sale. There isn't any charge for updates or maint, which is a good thing - but all the more reason to capture that sale and as many as you can.

Back
Top Bottom