Tony MacAlpine

la szum

Axe-Master
I remember grabbing Tony's first album Edge of Insanity when I was stationed in Orlando at the
Navy Base there. It was insane to me that someone could be so talented. A world-class classical
pianist. Oh, and watch me shred on guitar. :)

Always enjoyed his emphasis on melody in his playing.

I saw him when he played in Steve Vai's band. Billy Sheehan on bass, and Dave Weiner also on guitar. So much talent on one stage! They traded eights on "My guitar wants to Kill yer Mama" and it was jaw dropping. Tony would play Keys and guitar simultaneously!

I saw him when he played in Steve Vai's band. Billy Sheehan on bass, and Dave Weiner also on guitar. So much talent on one stage! They traded eights on "My guitar wants to Kill yer Mama" and it was jaw dropping. Tony would play Keys and guitar simultaneously!

That was the same lineup from the G3 Live in Tokyo DVD, IIRC. One of those guys I never got around to checking out. Or maybe I did and forgot.

Saw Tony with Simon Phillips, Marco Minneman, Eddie Jobson, and Trey Gunn in a club in DC 10 years ago or so. Tony is an amazing talent. Check out Protocol IV if you haven’t before.

Those two first Soloalbums of his are still some of the best, never get tired of them.
bought most of the later ones too, but the first ones are special.
Seems like such a cool guy as well!

A friend of me got him for a gig he organized in Germany Speyer.
With Mike Terrana and Ricky Ricardo.
My friend was the support band with own songs and covers of Malmsteen and McAlpine. Tony for sure was the Headliner. I was helping on stage and entry. I stopped Tony entering without paying because he had a hoody on and his face was hidden 🤣
After the gig we had a nice time with them backstage.
Best thing I remember is that Riccardo took all the rest of the meatballs made by mother of my friend for the catering and put them in aluminum foil for the hotel and trip back home 😂

And for sure... Great music at this evening.

Also remember buying 'Edge of Insanity'. It was an eye-opener then and it still has the power to hold your attention.
I bought Vinnie Moore's 'Minds eye' and Satch's 'Not of this earth' at the same time but Tony's got more play. He played Keyboards on 'Minds eye' !! also.. One talented guy..

A friend of me got him for a gig he organized in Germany Speyer.
With Mike Terrana and Ricky Ricardo.
My friend was the support band with own songs and covers of Malmsteen and McAlpine. Tony for sure was the Headliner. I was helping on stage and entry. I stopped Tony entering without paying because he had a hoody on and his face was hidden 🤣
After the gig we had a nice time with them backstage.
Best thing I remember is that Riccardo took all the rest of the meatballs made by mother of my friend for the catering and put them in aluminum foil for the hotel and trip back home 😂

And for sure... Great music at this evening.

Great story. Thanks for sharing. :)

His hands are like face huggers from Alien. Dude is super connected to music.

Haha! For sure. He even mentions in the Beato interview how helpful that is
for certain styles of composing. He joked that with small hands you can still
play Bach and Mozart, though.

I bet that was some kind of slam in the classical world. :)

I had this really, really crazy friend I met in school. The guy was really nuts. So one day when he starts going on and on about this tape he lifted from a record store, some guy, Tony MacAlpine, who plays all the instruments and it's amazing; I filter this as sure, okay. A while later, he grabs the tape to play in my car when we were going somewhere. I would never get in his car if he was driving it. The tape was Maximum Security, and I was hooked from the first notes.

Saw Tony with Simon Phillips, Marco Minneman, Eddie Jobson, and Trey Gunn in a club in DC 10 years ago or so. Tony is an amazing talent. Check out Protocol IV if you haven’t before.
That would be Greg Howe according to this page (referencing Protocol 4):

http://www.simon-phillips.com/

Totally different guitarist from the same era... I've seen some recent performance videos of Greg with Simon and it's excellent!

I had a recording of Tears of Sahara back in the day. George Lynch took a solo on it. Great song! Must have had that album but it got lost over the years. That song is pretty old now. Mid 80’s from what I recall. I don’t even need to listen to your link to play it in my head. It’s been 10+ years since I heard it too.

Back
Top Bottom