Tonex One

Pre-ordered as well. This will be used in the loop of fm3 and also by itself. It's rare for me to see amps I have trouble emulating by tweaking the fm3, but they exist. This will serve 1) as a digital replacement for these amps dialed my way and 2) as a backup for fm3.

Is this reffering to cleaning up the sound with the guitar's volume pot or altering the gain with the knob on the unit itself?

If it's the later, and that would mean such units are toys, the numbers of touring bands relying on "toys" (like the Kemper especially before liquid profiling) are countless.

If it's about the volume pot on the guitar, well, I'm sure tonex is not perfect in all measurable ways, including this one. But I wouldn't go from some discrepancies in accuracy to "it's a toy".
Guitar Volume Knob. This is a basic thing which needs to be perfect. Just have a look at B.B. King or Angus Young. But I'm sure there are also other things like adapting the amp settings which will result in bad sounds. If you want to copy your amp with one setting, this can be a solution but to find your prefered sound in their database with such limitations. Never ... I don't want to know if you can change the cab or mic, but I bet no. Just fixed settings. I can't understand that ToneX and Kemper are still a topic. Also if its my amp with one setting, I want to be able to change the sound characteristics with the tone or volume pot of guitar the way I know it. FAS rules! Just my thoughts.

I bought a used FM3 additionally to my FXIII and also thought about other solutions. I ddin*t want to search for my sound all the time. With FXIII I already found it (after months of work with a lot of mistakes as beginner) and it was easy to transfer it to FM3. FM3 is small enough for my holiday trips and I'm sure also for guitarists on bike on tour to next stage :)

Last edited:
Guitar Volume Knob. This is a basic thing which needs to be perfect. Just have a look at B.B. King or Angus Young. But I'm sure there are also other things like adapting the amp settings which will result in bad sounds. If you want to copy your amp with one setting, this can be a solution but to find your prefered sound in their database with such limitations. Never ... I don't want to know if you can change the cab or mic, but I bet no. Just fixed settings. I can't understand that ToneX and Kemper are still a topic. Also if its my amp with one setting, I want to be able to change the sound characteristics with the tone or volume pot of guitar the way I know it. FAS rules! Just my thoughts.

I am sure you can get a good sound out of the Tonex. Just find one or two amp models that you like and make all your sounds from there. One clean, one drive channel. I don’t need fifty or more amps. Just one good amp model will do for a gig. Just like with a real amp. I don’t care if it’s a capture or not.

You can capture amps without including mic'd cab. That offers some more flexibility as you can use IRs. You can also change cabs with captures that include the full rig. Much like with Kemper, this tends to assume where the mic'd cab part begins, if dealing with full rig captures, and it doesn't work as well for me.

Capture devices are still a topic partly because they do a fairy good job imo. I generally prefer the fractal approach, but it also has its shortcomings compared to the capturing approach. Fractal largely replaced me having to lug amps to profile, but there's amps that do no have equivalent fractal sims. Most of the time, I can still tweak the existing fractal sims to get close enough.

But some times I get better results using neural amp modeller and even tonex. It's just a different approach. I understand the convenience of tweaking digital knobs, but also why one would want to use capture based devices or software. Some times, it's just easier and quicker to profile/capture a tone if it's already set up. And in some other cases, as described, you can access tone you otherwise wouldn't have/it would be difficult to have.

In regards to the guitar volume pot issue, I'm not sure if any digital unit is "perfect" for that, much like they aren't for tones with volume pot maxed out either. But it depends on what being "perfect" implies. In my opinion, measuring methods themselves have limitations. I learned that quick when working on guitar pickups, and it was a real issue. Which is to say: I think a reasonable convo can be had about what is "good enough" of a standard.

On that end, I care more so about what I perceive as a guitar player. On that end, I think tonex with volume pot lowered generally isn't "exactly the same as the source", but great nonetheless. The standards may change from player to player, but these are mine.

I bought a used FM3 additionally to my FXIII and also thought about other solutions. I ddin*t want to search for my sound all the time. With FXIII I already found it (after months of work with a lot of mistakes as beginner) and it was easy to transfer it to FM3. FM3 is small enough for my holiday trips and I'm sure also for guitarists on bike on tour to next stage :)
Generally fm3 is small enough for my uses. But some times, I also want something even lighter, due to neurological issues. For that reason, I imagine that the tonex one will be easier to carry around if I have to.

That said, ideally I probably wouldn't want to use tonex by itself, but as part of an fm3 rig.

Weird analogy, but I'm thinking of the Tonex One as like a little USB stick for downloading work from a Fractal.

For me I might get one primarily to play in between meetings in my office. My rig and Fractal are all in my basement and my office is on my third floor, so I'd just bloop my current preset onto the Tonex and keep the Tonex in my office. Also do love the idea of stashing a Tonex in the pocket of my gig bag.

Will probably grab once they start hitting the used market.

EDIT: I may not be understanding the One correctly. Is it only for existing captures or can it be used to create a capture as well?

Weird analogy, but I'm thinking of the Tonex One as like a little USB stick for downloading work from a Fractal.

For me I might get one primarily to play in between meetings in my office. My rig and Fractal are all in my basement and my office is on my third floor, so I'd just bloop my current preset onto the Tonex and keep the Tonex in my office. Also do love the idea of stashing a Tonex in the pocket of my gig bag.

Will probably grab once they start hitting the used market.

EDIT: I may not be understanding the One correctly. Is it only for existing captures or can it be used to create a capture as well?
You can get captures others made or make your own via the software on pc or Mac. Then load them into tonex one.

You can get captures others made or make your own via the software on pc or Mac. Then load them into tonex one.
Thanks! Having to pull in the laptop to capture makes it marginally less attractive. I was hoping somehow I could just leave it in the Fractal loop and just reroute a couple blocks and press a button to make a capture. Still kind of interesting.

With these things I always worry about gain staging. One thing I always love about using a Fractal is I can be confident that the amp input level is "right" and it's responding to guitars in a reasonable way, and I never have to think about it. Set and forget. With Tonex captures wouldn't I need to do some calibration to get the levels right with respect to how my FM3 responds?

Some of the captures made are pretty good , Henning Pauly just did a review and his captures that he said will be available soon sounded great , there is another guy XOG who did the Bogner XTC
Red channel so there are some good ones out there

Some of the captures made are pretty good , Henning Pauly just did a review and his captures that he said will be available soon sounded great , there is another guy XOG who did the Bogner XTC
I like to muck about and tinker, and like the idea of both "ownership" and consistency with what I'm doing via Fractal, so I'm pretty sure I wouldn't end up trying out others' captures.

I really like the idea of it as an accessory to my FM3 rather than a separate new ecosystem for me to learn and immerse myself in.

Put another way: if Fractal offered a product that came in two pieces, one of which had the screen and many knobs and switches, and the other of which just had the input/output, one button, and the DSP, such that you could dock the DSP into the full housing for full editing and features but then just grab the DSP and go for two switchable sounds, I'm sure a lot of people would find that convenient and compelling.

There are some great ones, yeah. I typically have done my own with kemper and later on tonex and (much more so) nam. For me, most third party captures or profiles have proved not very useful.. considering different pickups, guitars, play style, taste, etc. That said, there has been a trend of of people making more direct captures (amp only) than in the old kemper days, which gives us some more flexibility by using different IRs.

Still, I expect to use mostly my own captures, with the occasional exception.

Thanks! Having to pull in the laptop to capture makes it marginally less attractive. I was hoping somehow I could just leave it in the Fractal loop and just reroute a couple blocks and press a button to make a capture. Still kind of interesting.

With these things I always worry about gain staging. One thing I always love about using a Fractal is I can be confident that the amp input level is "right" and it's responding to guitars in a reasonable way, and I never have to think about it. Set and forget. With Tonex captures wouldn't I need to do some calibration to get the levels right with respect to how my FM3 responds?
This is true for me as well, how the amp input level seems right out the gate with fractal. With tonex software this seems more convoluted. For example, there has been a lot of debate about how to set so-called "input trim". Seems a bit simpler with the pedal and maybe tonex one, but still.

Kemper and quad cortex can make captures from the hardware itself. I have made captures of FM3. Kemper imposed the mosquito-ts pedal thing on top and I really dislike that, so did not use these captures. But tonex has generally done better, and nam even more so. Both of these don't do the job in hardware though.

Quad cortex is generally more accurate than kemper, in my experience, especially for how the mutes feel, but costs a lot.. where as tonex one is 200 euros here in Finland and comes with the software you need to make captures. I do not have enough reason to buy costly units such as the quad cortex when I have the fm3, but can justify tonex one for certain amp tones and as a backup.

Also, at least in my opinion, tonex software UI is a tragedy. They've improved it recently but it's still quite a badly designed UI, for me personally. So with tonex one my goal will be to get in and out as fast as possible from desktop app.

Last edited:
200 bucks for 2 raw tones and no midi, I don’t think that’s a great deal at all.

Yes it’s small, but that’s a lot of money for 2 amps captures.

Back
Top Bottom