Tone stack questions

reused

Firstly, when switching between different amp types in the amp sim block, will the tonestack type be chosen automatically to correspond to the particular amp type selected?
also, lets say i select the blackface amp type, the tonestack type by default seems to be 'Passive', will this be effectively a simulation of a blackface tonestack?

Secondly, Iv been reading through the manual and noticed under the amp sim section it says things like:

"Some of the amps simulated do not have the full complement of tone controls. In those cases setting the control to 12:00 replicates the original. For example, some early amps did not have Mid controls. To capture the original faithfully simply set the control to ‘0’"

Im a little confused as 12 'o' clock isnt 0 on the controls.
Does this mean 12:00 when using active tonestack and 0 when using passive?

To answer your first question, yes.

As for the second question, I'm not really sure... But I think he means 12:00 whether you have passive or active.

That part of the manual seems to have been written before the passive tone stacks came into existence. I think 12 o'clock is 0 for active, and all the way left would be 0 for passive. I'm not by my axe at the moment so I can't double check this.

Use noon for either active or passive, that's the "reference point".

If the preamp type is "active" that means you can go ±12 dB from that reference point. Note that the "reference point" is generally not the same as setting the amp flat, even if you choose the "active" tonestack - most amps have a built-in midrange scoop due to the fact that their native tonestacks are passive.

If the preamp type is "passive", then it models the passive tonestack in the original amp; any missing controls are assumed to be at the reference point, which allows you to go up or down from the amp's normal behavior.

If the preamp type is anything else, it's still passive but now you've transplanted a different tonestack into your amp. (Unless it's the one that came with it: on a Blackface amp, "passive" and "blackface" are the same.)

Back
Top Bottom