Tone Matching - What do you play and for how long?

sheky

Experienced
I am tone matching my amp head using a load box and Di (using the live mode).

I don't know what to play. A few chords? Single notes? Palm muting? Is it more accurate the longer I play? I noticed that if I play for a long time, like 30 seconds or longer, the graph in the config tab flattens out as if it's been smoothed which leads me to believe I'm losing accuracy the longer I play.

If I tone match on the bridge pickup would I need a separate tone match for the other pickups? How about different guitars?

Thx!

The choice of guitar or pickup doesn’t matter as long as you use the same both times. The important thing is to play the exact same thing both times. A sine sweep or broad band noise works well, but if you use a guitar, play a wide range of notes up and down the fretboard. usually 5-10 seconds is sufficient.

The choice of guitar or pickup doesn’t matter as long as you use the same both times. The important thing is to play the exact same thing both times. A sine sweep or broad band noise works well, but if you use a guitar, play a wide range of notes up and down the fretboard. usually 5-10 seconds is sufficient.
I'm using 'live' mode so I only have to play one time. Is the sine sweep more accurate?

Thx!

I don't think there's a "best" source for all situations. For me, sometimes a guitar works better, sometimes not.

Reactions: J.C
I've been testing this out and I find I get a different result whether I use pink noise or white noise. If I let the noise run more than an instant before matching, the curve in the graphic totally smooths out. Here is the result for white noise after 5 seconds. It's totally smooth curve.
Playing with the Averaging time in the config page doesn't seem to matter.

White noise  5 seconds.png

Here is the curve when running the noise for 2 seconds - it's a little more defined but still looks very wrong -

White noise  2 seconds.png

And if run the tone match for under a second before Matching, I get a more defined curve

White noise  instant.png

This curve looks different than when I run the same test on pink noise but I think that's enough images :).

This also happens when playing guitar, if I play too long, the curve becomes totally smooth. what am I doing wrong?

thx.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom