Tone-matching Kemper Profiles of Boutique Amps

You want to make a copy of a copy? Why?

Different paradigm here brotha. Too many ways to create your own tone with what you have. Tone match exists, but as far as I can tell it's not really widespread. It's not terribly hard to find any tone anyway with this box. If you're in the market, and don't want to really dig in, plenty of good preset builders in the 'Preset Exchange' that you can check out (if you have an Axe III.)

You want to make a copy of a copy? Why?

Different paradigm here brotha. Too many ways to create your own tone with what you have. Tone match exists, but as far as I can tell it's not really widespread. It's not terribly hard to find any tone anyway with this box. If you're in the market, and don't want to really dig in, plenty of good preset builders in the 'Preset Exchange' that you can check out (if you have an Axe III.)
Thanks mate! New to the community and can't wait to dig in. Y'all do amazing work.

My buddy has a Kemper that has a particular Marshall sounding preset that I love overall. I recorded him playing, as per instructions for tone matching, and transferred that to my III. I chose what I felt like was a similar preset on the III and attempted to tone match the sound he was getting via the automated process.

While I have zero doubts the Fractal can duplicate the sound/tone of the Kemper preset I was not even able to get close using the tone match process. I am neither expert or beginner and feel I followed the correct procedure for this experiment but I did not invest a great deal of time with after tweaking.

This is where preset builders and folks that live, breathe, and have patience for the technical aspects of Fractal can help out if you have a tone you must have. Due to an abundance of available killer tones, and a short attention span, I moved on.

The first answer I would have liked to see here is:

"Sure, why not? You'd just follow the tone matching mini manual and see how it turns out."

In fact I've been asked to do this by various customers and endorsers who decided that the Axe-Fx was better for them. It works but I can't share any details here.

Last edited:
Wondering If this has been done with a great deal of success and where to go to hear results? YouTube etc.

I don't know about boutique amps, but I've tone matched quite a few Kemper profiles with excellent results. Practically all of them were high gain; however, I have little doubt the results would've been just as successful otherwise.

My buddy has a Kemper that has a particular Marshall sounding preset that I love overall. I recorded him playing, as per instructions for tone matching, and transferred that to my III. I chose what I felt like was a similar preset on the III and attempted to tone match the sound he was getting via the automated process.

While I have zero doubts the Fractal can duplicate the sound/tone of the Kemper preset I was not even able to get close using the tone match process. I am neither expert or beginner and feel I followed the correct procedure for this experiment but I did not invest a great deal of time with after tweaking.

This is where preset builders and folks that live, breathe, and have patience for the technical aspects of Fractal can help out if you have a tone you must have. Due to an abundance of available killer tones, and a short attention span, I moved on.

If I had a DI sample of your guitar and a recording of the Kemper profile you're referring to, I'd be glad to give it a shot. Assuming the TM block is set correctly, it's dead simple.

If I had a DI sample of your guitar and a recording of the Kemper profile you're referring to, I'd be glad to give it a shot. Assuming the TM block is set correctly, it's dead simple.
Thank you for this offer. I deleted the Logic project containing his sound but it's easy enough to replicate. Give me some time and I would like to take you up on this.

Thank you for this offer. I deleted the Logic project containing his sound but it's easy enough to replicate. Give me some time and I would like to take you up on this.

Sure, just give me a shout. Oh, and it's worth mentioning that in order for the Tone Match to be as effective as possible, I recommend playing the same melody/chords in the guitar DI as the Kemper sample. The closer, the better.

Last edited:
Reactions: mwd
Back
Top Bottom