Tone match

windoor

Tone match. Does it really Work?
This may be the deciding factor for me to upgrade from my Ultra?

Wow.

It's been quite a while since I posted on these forums. I've been away from music making for a while, as I do from time to time. I come back to see a new feature with FX 2, that I was wishing for a couple of years ago, now become a reality. Cool.

I remember well, a thread I started about this very thing. I was wishing for a device that could match the tone of a prominent player, just by sending a sample in and let the device analyze the sound to make a match.

I was ridiculed by Jay (is he still here?) about how it could never work, and was foolish to suggest such a thing.

I told him he sounded like my sister when she interrupted an episode of Star Trek we were watching. Kirk was talking to a computer. With her vast, newly acquired knowledge from school, she stated that the computer would be have to be as large as a house just to do some simple math equations. Arrogantly stating that we will never be able to "talk" to computers. We just shrugged our shoulders and asked her leave the room. Quietly.

I love my new I-phone with Siri?

Being the resident "expert" on all things acoustic, I can't help but wonder what Jay has to say about this new feature (tone match) of the Axe Fx?

Never say never.

Regards,

Windoor.

Yes, tone match works great.

Not all tone matched presets out there are created equal tho. Most of it is based on the fidelity of the recording to take the match off of; check around for other people's experience with it.

It's not perfect (other things like guitar/pups/fingers/talent) will factor in, but the bottom line is that if you really *need* to get a specific tone, I think its a great starting point.

Tone match. Does it really Work?
This may be the deciding factor for me to upgrade from my Ultra?

One thing I think is worth mentioning, tone matching (talking an artists recorded tone) does not translate well through guitar cabs. It's primarily a direct/FRFR tool. At least that's been my understanding/experience.

Back
Top Bottom