Tone Match Problem

I've been having issues trying to tone match similar to what the OP was talking about. My tone match ends up adding frequencies above 12khz and below 50hz whereas the reference track has nothing above 12khz and not boosted frequencies below 50hz.
It's like the tonematch block is stretching the frequencies from the reference across a wider spectrum.
Anyone know a solution for this?
The fact that it doesn't have anything above 12khz is exactly the problem. Ideally, you'd use a reference that consists of noise or a sweep so you get information about the response throughout the entire frequency range. Using a recorded track means you'll get less than ideal results and you should expect you'll need to do some adjusting in that situation.

Thanks for the reply Glenn appreciate it. After seeing the success that GuitarJon had tonematching metallica tones I was trying my hand at it as well. I thought the Axe had the tone match block for recorded tones and real amp matching in mind.

It can be done, but in regions of the frequency domain where either the reference or target have very little energy, it's difficult to get an accurate match. You're basically doing multiplication and division with numbers that are too close to zero. A common indication of this is when the troublesome region shows a widely varying response adjustment when you repeat the tone match.

Reactions: Rex
Ah so this is why some people were asking for a frequency range option. Makes sense now. I wonder how people have worked around this to get nice tone matches from recorded guitars. What I've started doing is eschew the tone block and instead have been matching the frequency ranges in my daw with parametric EQs in my signal chain.

I've been having issues trying to tone match similar to what the OP was talking about. My tone match ends up adding frequencies above 12khz and below 50hz whereas the reference track has nothing above 12khz and not boosted frequencies below 50hz.
It's like the tonematch block is stretching the frequencies from the reference across a wider spectrum.
Anyone know a solution for this?
Yes, a high and low pass.

I'm thinking if I run white noise in the higher spectrum of frequencies I might be able to fix the issues that are happening with recorded guitar matches. Will report back if it works.

No dice. It barely made a difference. I see other people's tonematches where the frequency curve on the tonematch block drops everything below 12k or so but it seems I can't produce the same results as them.

I wonder how people have worked around this to get nice tone matches from recorded guitars.
I've created numerous Tone Matches of recorded guitars, and in my opinion, there's nothing to work around. In my experience, there's not enough energy at 12kHz to be audible or usable. But if you're worried about it, just use a high/low pass.

Some of my Tone Matches:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom