Tone Match frequency analysis - TMA block, exported cab and double tone matching.

npx

Inspired
After having a bit of a play with V6 tone matching, I found my most accurate matches were obtained when I applied a high pass blocking filter at 80Hz after the TMA block.

Just for my own curiosity I ran a frequency analysis (using FuzzMeasure for OS X) to compare between the original, TMA block and exported User Cab versions of a basic tone match. I hadn't intended posting the results, but I figure a few of you might be interested so I did a few more comparisons. (Apologies if someone has posted something similar before, I did a quick search but found nothing.)

For consistency, I recorded some DI guitar over usb and re-amped it through a basic HBE patch (Drive 7 Master 9 Presence 5) and an 4x12 SLM M75 (OH) cab for the original.

An easy tone match patch was made by dropping the Presence to 0, adding a TMA block instead of the cab and using the same DI guitar for the local capture signal.

ORANGE is the original HBE tone
RED is the Tone Match block version
GREEN is with a User Cab exported from that Tone Match block.

HBEToneMatchEQ.jpg

Here is the same thing using an SLO 100 LEAD amp block on default settings. (Presence on 5 for the original patch and 0 to create the matched version.)

SLOToneMatchEQ.jpg

By adding +7db to the level of the TMA block to bring it up to equal loudness with the original patch, the added bass response is more obvious. Also notable is the extra energy around the 11kHz area.

SLOTMABlock7db.jpg

As you can see, the resulting match is very accurate within the usual electric guitar range of 80Hz to 10.5k, but a little less so outside of that. I haven't tried to tone match any basses yet, but I imagine the less accurate low end response may come into play there.

Lastly, I exported the matched SLO block to a user cab, added a new TMA block after it and did a second tone match. To get the level the same on the graph I needed to boost the cab block +5db as well as +7db on the TMA block. The result is in PINK.

SLOdoubleToneMatch.jpg

The new EQ curve is slightly closer to the original in the areas that were most askew before, but almost exactly the same in the main guitar range.

Although the 3 patch levels now match on the graph, the pink double tone matched one is audibly slightly louder. When that patch is exactly the same level to my ear, its plot on the graph is below the others. Maybe a very subtle compression results from a smoothing algorithm in the tone matching process, and in turn is magnified by the double helping??

Anyway, food for thought.

yeah, i posted seeveral times now, that the tma block is not very accurate below 90hz and above 11khz. Using a peq block with these frequencies blocked after the tma helps to get a more accurate match. Nice that you underlined this with pictures, using ozone i came to the same conclusion.

Interesting results, I was going to do some measures aswell in the next days.

I've found that you always have to compensate the exported cab for 3-4 dB to match the loudness of the TMA block.

What happened to the tone match if you added the high pass filter before the TMA block in the chain?
Does it show the same "default" curve up to 100Hz?

Interesting results, I was going to do some measures aswell in the next days.

I've found that you always have to compensate the exported cab for 3-4 dB to match the loudness of the TMA block.

What happened to the tone match if you added the high pass filter before the TMA block in the chain?
Does it show the same "default" curve up to 100Hz?
I think that would actually exacerbate it unless you bypassed it prior to doing the tone match.

Shasha is right, it makes it worse. The result is in blue.

Amp Block -> PEQ blocking 79.91Hz and 10776Hz -> TMA

SLO80Hz10776HzPEQTMA.jpg

Back
Top Bottom