Tone Match, Eq curve and Reverb

Clive

Experienced
Hi,

I'd like to know if the Tone Match process just capture the Eq curve or the Eq curve + Reverb.

Thanks.

just the EQ curve. However, if the reverb is adding to the frequencies of the tone, it will appear in the tonematch

just the EQ curve. However, if the reverb is adding to the frequencies of the tone, it will appear in the tonematch

Thanks.

So that's not good news.
-Before tone matching, is it possible to calculate (or approach) the IR of this reverb first ?
-If I call R this impulse response of this reverb, O the original signal of the guitar without reverb and F the signal with reverb, we know that the link between these three things is :
O * R = F where * is the convolution product.
As we know that this reverb is applied to the original sound (without reverb) with this IR using that convolution product, is it possible to find the original sound without reverb ?
I found on Internet that I'll have to make a deconvolution but I don't know if it's efficient.
Then if I could find O, I could make my tone match with it (original guitar sound without reverb).

What are you trying to tone match?

A guitar track only that has reverb and I would like to eliminate it before tone matching. I also would like to catch this reverb and add it after the tonematch in the end.
This is two jobs hard to be done.

Last edited:
Reverb only exists as Reverb over time, not in a moment of time captured, in this case only as a frequency curve.

So you would need the original wet Reverb track to minus out anything that is Reverb.
Regards,

Reverb only exists as Reverb over time, not in a moment of time captured, in this case only as a frequency curve.

So you would need the original wet Reverb track to minus out anything that is Reverb.
Regards,

The reverb is always there except if the reverb has a ducking effect. Moreover, the reverb also comes from the room and this hasn't ducking effect.

Zynaptiq UNVEIL | Music Tech reviews | MusicRadar

You could try something like this, however I couldnt say how well it would work. Probably works much better on transient sounds like drums, ect. Guitar is gonna be a little tricky I think.

Thank you very much toolfanem ! I'll give it a try.
One more thing : does this tool calculate reverb. It can eliminate it but I want to have it back later. Do you know another tools who does this ?

Thank you very much toolfanem ! I'll give it a try.
One more thing : does this tool calculate reverb. It can eliminate it but I want to have it back later. Do you know another tools who does this ?

Not sure since I haven't actually used it myself, but it may have a "reverb solo" function that you could listen to a try matching to.

Have you tried matching the track with the reverb? That will match the track with tone contributed by the reverb.

After matching try adding a Reverb block before the TMA block and see how it sounds, then move the Reverb block after the TMA block and see how it sounds? Try the digital reverb models so the reverb color is coming from the match of the original track.

Have you tried matching the track with the reverb? That will match the track with tone contributed by the reverb.

Yes but that should not be as it.

After matching try adding a Reverb block before the TMA block and see how it sounds

It should be a ducking reverb in order not to not color the eq curve a second time. Other problem : this added reverb block will reverberate the sound with its eq curve modified by the original reverb and it should not. In the end, the curve eq is not right.

then move the Reverb block after the TMA block and see how it sounds?

It should sound the same because applying first an eq curve (TMA) and then a reverb or the contrary is the same. Indeed, they are IRs and mathematically, they are applied using a convolution product and this convolution product is symmetrical (commutative).

When I tone match I am following the youtube video... but he is not using any existing IR.. hes just using the amp and it sounds like an un-cabbed play tone in the second window. in the manual of the Axe it says to make a preset with the closest sound to the target tone trying to be matched... including a similar IR or IR blend. Im still lost on tone match.. although that guys method is working for some reason...

Back
Top Bottom