Tone Match Clip Request: Dream Theater (Jonh Petrucci) "About To Crash (Reprise)"

shredi knight

Power User
Since I can't afford an Axe-FX II, I'm forced to live vicariously through those of you who can. :D
Would love to hear a tone match of Petrucci's tone from the intro of this song. His amp for this was a Mesa Boogie Mark IIc+:

Alright, did ATC reprise...
Disclaimer:
- don't have JP's guitar, strings, pick, fingers and was to lazy how to play that riff exactly.
- my sample is single tracked & bone dry (i.e. just amp + TM block) vs. JP's (at least) double tracked, effected and mastered recording
- this was done within under 30 sec :D

That said, I think it sounds decent :)

Watcha think?

Thanks guys, really appreciate you taking the time to do those. Both are definitely in the ballpark and have the general character of the tone, but seem to be lacking some girth/punch/thickness (whatever). Both also seem to have a somewhat undefined, fizzy high end. I'm sure these issues are nothing that couldn't be remedied with a little bit of tweaking and refinement.

I think this new Tone Matching feature will finally take care of the problem I've always struggled with on my Axe-FX Standard with the USA amp sims and their not having a graphic eq modeled after the on-board graphic eq that is on the Mesa Boogie Mark IVs and IIc+s and is an integral part to the sound of those amps. The Tone Match will copy the "Classic V" eq curve that is very commonly used on the Mark Boogies and take the place of using a graphic/parametric eq after the amp sim, which is what I have always had to do on my USA Lead patches.

All of this has pushed me over the edge and I am now on the waiting list for an Axe-FX II. Standards seem to be going for around $1200 (more than I would have thought) and I have a very nice Larrivee acoustic that for whatever reason, I've never really bonded with. Despite that I've had it for several years, it is in pretty much mint/brand new condition (it even still smells new) from not being played and always being in it's case. They seem to be going for $800 to $1000. So between Ebaying those and the little bit of play money my wife has allowed me to have :)D), I should be able to swing it and get the II. :)

"Since I can't afford an Axe-FX II, I'm forced to live vicariously through those of you who can."

I know how you feel. Saving for an engagement ring so unfortunately there is no end in sight for the distant future either.

Ok, since you gen2 people keep nagging us gen1 guys I figured I'd take this challenge with my Standard :). Obviously I can't tone match with it, so I just used the stock Cali. I used Ozone a bit, but not for creating IR. I just used the EQ curve as reference and tried to tame the biggest peaks with EQs and filters. Took me about half an hour. I double tracked over the original, and panned the original quite a bit to the left.

It's been ages since I played this song and I was in a hurry so it's just one take, don't mind the sloppiness.

Last edited:
Who is this shredi night that lurks...???

:?

Hopefully he's a near future Axe-FX II owner. Then the Axe II forums will be overrun with his endless smart-ass replies and bad quality audio sound clips he extracted from videos shot with a digital camera - Hehehehehehe

Back
Top Bottom