Tone match as a mastering tool?

pauliusmm

Fractal Fanatic
Would this work if you want to use tone matching to make your recorded song sound like some pro recording?

I doubt it. You'd have to match each instrument individually, and even then you'd only steal the EQ (if I am understanding tone matching correctly). Plus if tone match is built into the amp block, you wont even be able to do that unless you want to hear your bass drum through a guitar amp.

I thought of a very close use of tone matching : Tone match a Snare, Kick drum or bass !
Do you think it will be possible ?

When i started mixing/mastering songs of my band i thought about the same, but it didnt work as well as i initially thought. The main reson behind that is simple: Imagine for example, the eq comparison tells you, that you've got less mids than the track you want to match. The problem now is, on which instrument do they lack?guitar?bass?snare?vocals? With "song matching" you are boosting those frequencies on EVERY instrument, which will sound odd in most cases. In addition to that, a different song with the same sound settings will have a different eq-curve, so the only way it would eventually work properly would be a cover of the song you are trying to match.

The comparison is helpful nevertheless to get an overall better feeling for the frequency spectrum of a song.

On individual tracks it could be useful in a studio where outboard gear is used a lot , and could also work in a stem mastering situation but only if you had all the stems from another session to compare to yours, and both sessions had near identical arrangements/combinations of sounds and timbres.

Otherwise if you're working mostly inside the box then it makes more sense to use match eq style plugins.

Back
Top Bottom