Tone Junkie Modeling is Dead

Funny how these shills never talk about the Axe-Fx in these doom and gloom discussions, even though it has offered the exact solution they're proposing and as done so for over a decade now... but they can't monetize it so it doesn't count to them, even in their hypothetical predictions about how the market will move.
I think you nailed it. They can’t easily monetize the Axe-FX so it is irrelevant in their minds.

people who just post an informative video get buried by all this. it's all pretty silly right now.
There are a handful in the studio space that are great. Most of them aren't nearly as successful as the clickbait-y "quick and easy path" guys, but they're out there.

I still think TPS is probably the best guitar gear channel on YT. There are a handful of others (like Leon Todd) that cover interesting things...it's just that the videos are shorter and necessarily less in-depth. Still super-valuable. And there are a handful of really great players and "look at this cool thing I did" channels that at least provide inspiration.

I don't think calling it all silly is really fair. It's just that you kind of have to actually have a YT account and use the "not interested" and "don't recommend channel" buttons for YT to suggest it to you.

Incoming text wall.

So this guy is saying that the profiling market is fragmenting out from just Kemper to all these separate ecosystems. Quad Cortex, ToneX, etc. and eventually "amp profile content creators" (gross) are not going to be able to sell profiles in all these different systems because X additional profiles to create for X different ecosystems means X more work, and people are going to get confused about what profiler to get, and individual options for each profiler are going to get a lot worse because of said profiler production issues... so he is predicting that the market is going to eventually try to solve this problem with a single "computer" or some kind of dedicated hardware device that is going to run all the software from all these different companies, which themselves will convert their own ecosystems to some kind of compatible VST software that will run on this hypothetical computer thing. So in other words, you'll be able to take your "OmniProfiler" box and load up the Kepmer VST software and the Quad Cortex VST software and do whatever from there.

We already have general use computers, piles of plugins, DAWs that will run them all, and a couple things made with live performance in mind (Mainstage, Ableton, etc.). This guy is behind the times by 15 years or so.

Then he goes on to say that, like the world of computers, there might be a company like Apple that will have the smoothest user experience because everything from the hardware to the OS to the virtual amps will all be under the development of a single company within a single product.

He's describing a nightmare.

FWIW, I'm thinking about going back to Apple for my next computer....but I have a lot of misgivings about it, largely because of that vertical integration BS. That's not how I believe computers are supposed to work. Fortunately, Apple hasn't actually locked people in as much as lay people think they have....they just make it less obvious just how much control you have.

Despite the fact that I think FAS is head and shoulders above everything else I've played...I'm glad there's competition. It's better for everyone.

Funny how these shills never talk about the Axe-Fx in these doom and gloom discussions, even though it has offered the exact solution they're proposing and as done so for over a decade now... but they can't monetize it so it doesn't count to them, even in their hypothetical predictions about how the market will move.

They could monetize it. People buy and sell presets for Fractal. There are people essentially doing the RJM/CAE/Bradshaw-style rig building thing mostly/entirely inside Fractals for players who have more money than ability or inclination to tweak settings....and I'm under the impression that some of them are both very good and relatively expensive (compared to turning knobs).

The problem with that idea is that anyone with a Fractal can create, save, and share presets.

With a profiler, you have to have physical access to the thing you're profiling. So...if you want to profile a Dumble, you have to own or borrow a Dumble. If you want to release a fractal preset of a Dumble...Cliff has to have had access to a Dumble in the past to create a model....which he did.

I don't really think it's about monetization....I think it's because selling presets for a modeler means you actually have to have enough creativity and talent to make one that people couldn't come up with on their own....or provide enough individual attention and really know your sh*t to the point that you can do it better than your clients can on their own.

Being able to sell profiles is mostly about setting up a halfway decent recording system and buying the physical stuff...which is a lot easier but a lot more expensive...which means fewer people are going to do it...which means you don't have to be as good at it to be competitive.

Selling a profile is about access.

Selling a model preset is about expertise and customer service.

That's the difference.

And the cynical part of me wants to say that anyone complaining about modeling for that reason....probably can't create a profile that's worth paying for. I've also never worked with these people or bought a profile, though....so maybe I'm wrong.

I understand the people who get profilers to capture their own rigs with minimal effort, and I understand people who make and sell profiles, but I cannot for the life of me understand people who buy profiles. You want to pay money for a completely static image of an amp as dialed in by someone who isn't you, who doesn't understand what you want out of gear? Why on earth would anybody do that? And then you want to pay AGAIN for another profile of the same amp but with, like, the treble knob turned up a bit? What??? If you're going to do that, why on earth wouldn't you just get a modeler instead of a profiler?

100% agree.

Playing a Kemper for the first time was fun. Until I realized that the EQ knobs didn't do what I knew they should on that amp. And that the one I played didn't have any of the amps I was interested in trying (or at least they weren't named so that I could find them) and I'd have to spend a couple grand on a box just so I could scour the internet for someone who owned the amps I wanted to try and profiled them them at all the settings I'd want to try out...just to see if I like playing the box...and you'll still have to keep all your time-based effects as opposed to having the option to recreate them in the magic box.no thanks.

I'll stick a tube screamer in front of a hot rod deluxe or a DSL or something instead of dealing with that headache.

Profiling makes no sense to me.

I have a Kemper but hardly use it. But something like ToneX is an inexpensive way to get amps you don’t have in the Axe especially if you have the amp and can setup and capture it exactly the way you want it. Stick it in the AxeFX loop and you are done.

Can't believe I missed this thread at the beginning and then I watched the video in the first post and was glad I did.

Rule #1 of rating how useless a YouTuber is: If the first thing they start talking about in their video is the numbers their previous videos did, it's useless shyte and should be clicked away from immediately because YouTube tracks how long a person stays on a particular video.

Don't forget to give the video a thumbs down! Or the algorithm will continually suggest content from that Clown Shoe until you forcibly tell it to not suggest that channel ever again.

Don't forget to give the video a thumbs down! Or the algorithm will continually suggest content from that Clown Shoe until you forcibly tell it to not suggest that channel ever again.
My solution is to watch unvetted content “incognito”. If the algorithm can’t track you, it can’t spam you. ;)

My solution is to watch unvetted content “incognito”. If the algorithm can’t track you, it can’t spam you. ;)
afaik, "incognito" is like "private" on mac and does not prevent tracking - it just does not retain any local evidence you were there - so helps, as it prevents history of that vid from influencing what's served to you, but I don't think it prevents YT /Google from tracking - other stuff is needed for that (ie vpn...)

afaik, "incognito" is like "private" on mac and does not prevent tracking - it just does not retain any local evidence you were there - so helps, as it prevents history of that vid from influencing what's served to you, but I don't think it prevents YT /Google from tracking - other stuff is needed for that (ie vpn...)
Yep. Always on VPN at our router. That's a different kettle of fish, but I recommend it highly.

I infer from this article that Google was not supposed to track "incognito mode", but was caught and now has to pay a $5B settlement. I'm guessing they probably aren't tracking anymore, or else they'd get in bigger trouble by continuing the bad act, but I'm not a lawyer, so 🤷‍♂️.

https://www.npr.org/2023/12/30/1222268415/google-settles-5-billion-privacy-lawsuit

I infer from this article that Google was not supposed to track "incognito mode", but was caught and now has to pay a $5B settlement. I'm guessing they probably aren't tracking anymore, or else they'd get in bigger trouble by continuing the bad act, but I'm not a lawyer, so 🤷‍♂️.

https://www.npr.org/2023/12/30/1222268415/google-settles-5-billion-privacy-lawsuit
but the jist of my point was also that a lot of people seem to think incognito / private modes totally prevent the ability to track - they do not afaik - without further measures we are relying on / hoping for ethical behaviour - probably ok in this case as you suggest, but I would not count on it in all scenarios (personally I don't care that much - I don't mind getting inundated with guitar and golf ads😂).

Back
Top Bottom