• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Tone and Technique

Sidivan

Fractal Fanatic
We've all heard about "the tone is in your fingers" and I've always been a big supporter of this. I know when I pick up somebody else's guitar plugged into their rig that I simply don't sound like them; I sound like me. What I didn't realize is that even though I've been playing guitar for 10+ years that what "my" tone sounded like is still improving and developing.

I've played in a few bar bands and am currently playing in an original band, but I got the call to join a full time cover band (we're talking 4-5 nights a week, quit my day job scenario). I've decided that if I really am going to make music my career that I've got to step up my game, so I've spent 2 hours a day, 7 days a week playing with a metronome running technique stuff (scales, arpeggios, etc...) for the last few weeks. I've been doing most of this with a simple clean on a marshal 1x10 practice amp and really focusing on making each note sound good despite the amp. I've never been a shredder, so it's not about speed. I just wanted to develop my technique to be clean and precise.

Last night, I plugged into my Axe FX and went to a patch I haven't used in a month and I noticed that the tone was drastically different than what I had originally dialed in. I tried out my normal lead patch, which I don't use very often, and the rest of my band asked if I had done a bunch of work on it because it really sang. The only thing I've changed is how much technique practice I've been putting in.

Even though I was always a big believer in tone coming from your hands, I really did not expect such a drastic difference in such a short time. I thought my tone in my hands was locked in at this point, but boy was I wrong! The funny thing is that when I told my wife, who is a budding bass player, she said, "You're constantly telling me that my tone will improve with practice. Why are you so surprised?"

I guess my message is that if you're not getting a great tone out of your equipment, it's probably not just the equipment. Work on your technique and it'll do wonders, though I can't explain why or how. It doesn't matter how good you think your technique already is, it still needs work.

P

plexi59

Not to dispute your main point (I agree with it 100%), but aural memory is so short, my patches sometimes sound "drastically different" the next day after I dial them in. :)

I record everything I play on a Sony portable recorder, and save it to my file server at home. That way I can at least tell if I'm getting better or if I'm fooling myself. I wish I started doing this years ago.

Sidivan

Fractal Fanatic
I agree that aural memory isn't always accurate, but the reason I know it's drastically different is because I have literally never heard this sound coming out of any amp/patch I've ever used. Petrucci has this focused laser like sound on single notes that I really enjoy, but have never been able to achieve (e.g. right at 1:06 on Glass Prison). Last night, it was very reminiscent of that sound.

Top Bottom