Toggling Fx

slinky005

Power User
Using a Morningstar MC6 and toggling fx on and off for the first time. I use scenes as well but sometimes this way is more handy. My issue is that when I first go to a patch and hit the effect toggle, I need to hit it twice the first time I arrive at the patch. Every other time it works properly.
Until I go to a new patch and want to toggle any other effect. Need to hit the toggle two times for it to kick in the first time.
Is there a fix?
I tried sending a toggle effect off at the same time as the PC but it doesn't help.

Most likely your MC6 is not staying in sync with the block states of the new preset. Generic MIDI controllers blindly alternate between sending 0 and 127 values for CC controllers for Off and On messages. If you switch to a preset where the block in question is off, yet your controller's switch is in the on state (or vice versa), you'll have to hit the switch twice to get in back in sync. Typically only controllers that have an Axe FX II specific mode can poll for block states via sysex data and stay in sync. Not sure if the MC6 can support that.

Most likely your MC6 is not staying in sync with the block states of the new preset. Generic MIDI controllers blindly alternate between sending 0 and 127 values for CC controllers for Off and On messages. If you switch to a preset where the block in question is off, yet your controller's switch is in the on state (or vice versa), you'll have to hit the switch twice to get in back in sync. Typically only controllers that have an Axe FX II specific mode can poll for block states via sysex data and stay in sync. Not sure if the MC6 can support that.
Sounds about right. My Fc-300 does the exact same thing.

That is the beauty of the MFC101, two way communication with the Axe, so that when you change a patch, all the status LED's update, turning on and off to reflect how that patch is setup. Anything else is basically going to only be accurate until you go and change something.

If you turn everything that is latching off, and then change to a patch which defaults to everything off, your status LED's will be in sync, lighting up as you turn an effect on, but then you need to go through the whole process again.

I think there are a few units like an RJM mastermind that can be programmed to reflect per patch changes, but I don't think any of the cheap basic midi controllers, FC300 etc can do this. I'd suggest picking up a used older MFC101, you can get one for around $350 or so these days, about the same price as many other controllers, and its pure plug and play.

Part of my attraction to the MC was size and weight. Still extremely happy with my choice.
Both the Axe and MC are so flexible that you can always find a solution around something.

That is the beauty of the MFC101, two way communication with the Axe, so that when you change a patch, all the status LED's update, turning on and off to reflect how that patch is setup. Anything else is basically going to only be accurate until you go and change something.

If you turn everything that is latching off, and then change to a patch which defaults to everything off, your status LED's will be in sync, lighting up as you turn an effect on, but then you need to go through the whole process again.

I think there are a few units like an RJM mastermind that can be programmed to reflect per patch changes, but I don't think any of the cheap basic midi controllers, FC300 etc can do this. I'd suggest picking up a used older MFC101, you can get one for around $350 or so these days, about the same price as many other controllers, and its pure plug and play.

The RJM masterminds, Liquidfoot stuff, BJ Devices (I believe) and FCB1010 w/Eurekaprom can all automatically sync fx states with the Axe FX units, no extra programming required. You just need to program the unit for which CC it is monitoring. This is one of the advantages of an all-in-one unit like the AX8. Plus in an all-in-one, you can have the buttons do different things in every preset if you want (you can also do the same with the RJM and I believe Liquidfoot units, but more programming is required).
-
Austin

The RJM masterminds, Liquidfoot stuff, BJ Devices (I believe) and FCB1010 w/Eurekaprom can all automatically sync fx states with the Axe FX units, no extra programming required. You just need to program the unit for which CC it is monitoring. This is one of the advantages of an all-in-one unit like the AX8. Plus in an all-in-one, you can have the buttons do different things in every preset if you want (you can also do the same with the RJM and I believe Liquidfoot units, but more programming is required).
-
Austin
Other than the states of the effect toggles, the MC does all of that.

That is well and good your MC does so much, but isn't the point of your posting that you want to have the status of each effect toggle updated correctly on patch changes ??

That is well and good your MC does so much, but isn't the point of your posting that you want to have the status of each effect toggle updated correctly on patch changes ??
Just stating for others that you don't have to spend an arm and a leg for a controller.
You're singing the praises of the MFC and I am for the MC.
All in a day's discussion.

Back
Top Bottom