Tips on using a Quilter power amp with Fractal gear.

joegold

Fractal Fanatic
So I'm checking out a Quilter Overdrive 200 amp at the moment.

It sounds very good and very tube-amp-like through my EVM-12Ls when I use it as a stand-alone amp.
I'm sure that a big part of that is the way they've incorporated a negative feedback loop in their power amp creating a dynamic impedance interaction between the speaker and the power amp that normally wouldn't be there in a typical ss power amp design like a Matrix power amp.

But when I use my Axe-FXII (Cab Block off, obviously) to drive the Quilter power amp (Axe > Quilter Return jack) it doesn't sound nearly as good as when I use my Matrix GT1000 to do same.
I figure that the difference is due mostly to the Quilter's impedance interaction.
The only way to "normalize" this seems to be to turn the Negative Feedback parameter in the Amp Block down to 0.
And then the signal through the Matrix (with the Preset's normal Neg Feedback value) and the signal through the Quilter (with Neg Feedback at 0) sound quite similar.

But if I adjust all my Presets to work with the Quilter it will ruin them for FRFR applications like recording or a FOH feed.
[I.e. There are still situations where I want a direct feed from the Axe as opposed to mic'ing my cabs.
I've got some 12L IRs now that sound very much like my actual cabs.]
So I don't want to do that.

Have any of you who are using a Quilter come across this same issue and, if so, how have you dealt with it?

[It seems to me that the only way to do this satisfactorily would be if Quilter included a switch to turn off the speaker reactance feature thereby turning its power amp into a normal FRFR ss power amp.
Based on my emails back and forth with Mr. Quilter, I don't see them doing that.
So I don't think any of the Quilter amps are going to be suitable for me to use with my Axe-FX.
FWIW My old Pearce G2r also has a reactance thing built in to its stereo power amp.
But it also has a bridged mono configuration that defeats that circuit.
So it can be done, I'm assuming.]

I went from a matrix to a quilter. AB’d them and can’t hear a difference. But my ears aren’t the greatest.

Back
Top Bottom