Tips on a sound card for Vista x64 for S/PDIF recording?

steverosburg

Experienced
All:

My motherboard has S/PDIF input, and though the Realtek ALC889 audio codec claims to support 24-bit/192kHz I/O, apparently the Realtek HD Audio Manager driver is limited to 16-bit input. There are no 24-bit options available in the input format selection of the audio manager, and when I connect my Axe-Fx via S/PDIF it indicates 16-bit/44.1kHz (which is obviously wrong). If I try to explicitly specify a depth/rate of 24/48 in software (Audacity in this case, since I don't own any DAW software), I just get a bunch of rice crispies. However, if I connect to the digital output from my DVD player, it locks on at 16-bit/48kHz and records perfectly, so I know the S/PDIF input itself does work.

I was really hoping to avoid buying any extra hardware, but I don't think I have any other choice if I want to record my Axe-Fx using S/PDIF. Can any of you suggest a decent, yet affordable, sound card that I can use to record my Axe-Fx via S/PDIF? Please note that I am running Vista x64, so I need a card that is certified for Windows Vista. My motherboard has both PCI and PCI-Express (x1) slots available. Also, if anyone has run into this problem before and solved it without resorting to an add-on card or external box, please let me know; I would be so happy to find out it's just a case of user error.

Thanks in advance,
Steve

I have a presonus firebox which supports 24/96, though I've only used it for audio so far.

For 64 bit vista you need to download drivers from their website and not do the install from disc.

No problems with mine, except I occasionally need to unplug and replug the firewire at the start of a session

I just bought a used E-MU 1212m v2 off eBay for $85. It's supposed to have 64-bit Vista drivers, and I don't need anything beyond basic 2 channel + S/PDIF input, so hopefully this will do the trick. I will update this thread once I get it and have a chance to install and test it out with my Axe-Fx.

steverosburg said:
I just bought a used E-MU 1212m v2 off eBay for $85. It's supposed to have 64-bit Vista drivers, and I don't need anything beyond basic 2 channel + S/PDIF input, so hopefully this will do the trick. I will update this thread once I get it and have a chance to install and test it out with my Axe-Fx.

Got the card, installed it and latest Vista 64-bit drivers. Works, but takes over my Realtek sound, so I no longer have my microphone and standard PC output -- this is my new sound card. Using the PatchMix DSP app is a bit of a hassle, and not particularly intuitive (for example, mapping S/PDIF input to ASIO so it can be read by DAW), but it works.

-Steve

Back
Top Bottom