Tips for using Mesa sims

Very nice thread - there are obviously a lot of us Mk 3 & 4 Boogie lovers out there :shock: :p :shock:

Just Curious: What exactly is Cliff's HPF circuit doing? Is the envelope control dropping more lows when you play hard, or the opposite effect, and why is this more effective than just using the HPF with no envelope control? Pray tell! ;)

PS: Just tried to download the original V-30 Cab and it says the download has expired :oops:

Radley said:
....PS: Just tried to download the original V-30 Cab and it says the download has expired :oops:

Here it is (the forum let me attach it now).

Attachments

• Original 4x12 V30.syx
    7.7 KB · Views: 47
shredi knight said:
Radley said:
....PS: Just tried to download the original V-30 Cab and it says the download has expired :oops:

Here it is (the forum let me attach it now).

Thanks Shredi,

Another question: Why was this particular Cab 'controversial', and eventually removed from the AFX?

Radley said:
Another question: Why was this particular Cab 'controversial', and eventually removed from the AFX?

Cliff used the IR in the Axe FX without the permission of it's "creator", who then had a hissy fit. Cliff later discovered that apparently he got it from somewhere else himself, and didn't actually create it (it was also discovered that it might not be an IR of an actual cab). :roll: Despite it all, it's always been my favorite cam sim for high gain.

If you do a search on here for "Framus 4x12", you should be able to find all the posts about the past drama (one of the main threads on the subject was called "Do you use stock or user cabs more?").

Post 9.0 update I've found (as many have mentioned) dropping both warmth and thump to 0 and increasing the master a bit gives the sound more body. Though this is really an overall tip, it seems to have had a particularly nice effect on my Mesa patches.

Also, the new tone control tapers along with Radley's tip about moving the tonestack to post allowed me to get the same tone without needing the post-amp PEQ block.

Another thing that may be worth mentioning - I was recently reading a thread about the speaker resonance freq parameter (amp block, not cab). I hadn't used it before, however I'm finding that adjusting it to match whatever cab I'm using brings in a nice chunk for plam muted riffs. Particularly I found it helped me get closer to the sound and feel I get when using my actual 4x12. Haven't found a scientific way of setting the value - I just sweep it while playing until I find the sweet spot. It varies quite a bit!

Back
Top Bottom