Tips for QSC K12s???

Alarto

Inspired
Hi there,

What do you QSC K12 users do to make your sound better? I found speakers on-axis frequency response QSC Audio Forum • View topic - Frequency Response Charts. I have tried to make corrective eq in Global settings according to that but I don't know... They just doesn't sound right. I have them enough out from the wall at 1.5 m hight in stands, and used them in many places. I have tried LF ext bass setting that cuts them at 100 Hz. Still, they are ridiculously bassy/boomy so definitely a lot of low-cut is needed which leads to other problems. The most disturbing thing, however, is how they sound in loud volumes. Plastic, box... distortion becomes nasty harsh and whatever.. aaargh.. I'm begin to be really frustrated. Any tips, please?

Ilkka

My K10 sounded exactly like you describe... that's just how the K's sound IMO. It's not only a EQ thing, it's their character.
Really happy with my RCF NX12-SMA...
I'm going to try the Atomic CLR when it's readily available in Germany, too.

in my experience, the K series has tons of High and Low frequencies to help it sound better for FOH applications.

for guitar or stage monitors, i would use a low and high cut in my graphics to prevent unwanted feedback and to get more signal (mids more present). i'm not sure of the exact frequencies, but making a frowny face on the graphic helped a ton.

Thanks so far! I'll continue to mess with PEQ & MBC. I know what I should do with recordings & Logic in a similar situation. Unfortunately, the AFX's MBC block is behaving quite differently compared to Logic. Compressing certain frequencies should help a lot but I haven't found right settings or AFX's MBC just doesn't work in this case (not AFX's fault!). But if anyone finds something, please tell & post blocks.

i think the issue with using the MBC to fix the QSC's, is that it's not the Axe, blocks, etc that have "too much bass" for example. so trying to limit it there may not affect how the QSC interprets the sound.

EQ adjustments i think are the better angle of attack - either EQ's last in your layout or use the Global Graphic EQs. that's how i approached it.

Thanks Chris! I think it's now more about "the character" as per Peter said. I'll try filters as well. I have to fix this as I have a gig on Sat in a small pub and I won't be using any other backline due to lack of space. I just hope their PA sounds better. BTW!!! QSCs are using "extensive" DSP which means they can be reprogrammed, right? Maybe I throw a mail to QSC. Wouldn't they do a AFX friendly DSP program :) heh heh?

Jay Mitchell once had a K10 (AFAIR) in his lab and did not measure too much treble in its response, quite the contrary.
That's why I said it's its characteristic sound, it's harsh even without having too much highs. And the low end is sounding boomy but not clear.
The mids sound like plastic. And the louder you play it the uglier it gets.
Good luck with EQing. And the MBC won't help too much either I bet.
Sorry to say that...

with an SM58 at "normal" distance and signal rejection from the k10 as a stage monitor, my 10k and 16k was going crazy. to me, it boosts the highs :)

I use a k12 and it sounds great to me, just turn the bass down. I use mine in the middle position (not deep or sub) and just use the amp controls, and I put it up half way on the volume on the k12 and control volume from the axe front panel. I dont use an corrective eq's or any of that stuff. In the cab block turn down the proximity to lower low end, can also in the amp block on the speaker tab lower the low res parameter. Watch the depth on the amp block.

The qsc's are a good representation of what is being used for monitors and FOH around here in clubs, so if it sounds good out of it, it will sound good out in the foh. I also prefer it on it's side aiming up in monitor position. I used it this weekend at a party and all the sound guy did was pull up the fader, done.

My main chunky metal tone is the 5150III red or blue with the mesa v30 either with one 57 and the royer, or just the royer. I used to use the recto orange but that got douched in v10. Still not 100% happy with this tone, but it's growing on me.

YMMV.

I made A/B testings with QSC K12 vs. affordable Genelec 6020 at my home studio. Checked my input and preset's (amp & cab only) so that internal I/O levels were good. Set AFX Right XLR out to Apogee duet and line -10 dBV. Then I adjusted AFX level 1 so that Apogee Maestro 2 metered line input around -10 - -6 dBV while playing. The same good signal was sent from AFX Left XLR out to QSC K12. I also changed L/R outs for comparison to make sure there is no difference in outs. I adjusted dB levels by ear and dB level meter.

And yes, there is a huge difference! Genelec provides sound where I can hear my guitars own characteristics and dynamics as well as real amp/cab sound with smooth distortion. Really studio quality sound! QSC's sound was so bad that I have not enough words to describe it, bassy, boxy, plastic etc... Anything over average 85 dB (peak 91) was pure pain with QSCs, and that level is not enough for monitoring at stage.

Damn.. I wish I would have bought any Genelecs! Somebody want to buy my QSCs?

Back
Top Bottom