Tips for organizing User Presets?

Got my Ultra not too long ago and am just starting to move beyond the factory supplied presets. I understand that there is no longer empty space available on "Bank C" for saving my own presets, so this means that I have to save my new or edited preset over one of the existing 384 presets - correct?

So - how do folks go about reorganizing presets, assuming you have to write over your least favorite factory presets with your own presets? Do you just write over the ones you don't like (in place), or do you move them around and keep your own presets in sequential order, and where? Any tips for doing this efficiently?

I'm just curious to see if anyone has "a system" for doing this, before I head to far down the path.

Thanks!!

- Mark

I wrote this tool partly for that reason:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=7615

Basically, I download the firmware banks from the Fractal download page, split them into individual patches, and then just start creating my own patches at 000 (or 001, depending on how you've set it up). Since I can audition/tweak any factory patch because I have them available on my computer, I don't really care about how they're numbered - I organize my presets according to how I play them in a gig.

- S

I think it really just depends on how you are using the Axe-fx, how many presets you have and what makes sense to you. In short, there is no "right" way.

I didn't like the factory presets, so I cleared all but about 5 that I kept to learn from- IE the crystal echo patch and the touch wah patch.

I play in a U2 tribute. My first 4 presets are just amps with reverb, a drive pedal and tap delay- an AC-30, a Fender, a Marshall and a Recto.

After that, I have 112 presets for U2 tunes that go by album track order and chronologically. Preset 5 is "I Will Follow"- preset 116 is "Breathe."

:)

The point is: go with what works. Also, be prepared to move presets around- you wont really know what works for you until you use the unit live for a while.

Finally- keep in mind that it doesn't always matter where your presets are. I use a GCP to control the Axe-fx. So, since it has it's own "presets," I can make preset 5 on my GCP call up 105 on the Axe-Fx if I want to.

-Phil

My foot controller (Rocktron MidiMate) will only work with bank A, so that rules out using bank C. And I don't really use the factory presets anyway.

My patches are pretty disorganized, mainly because I'm constantly tweaking, and I usually do A/B comparisons when I alter something. So I end up keeping the original patch, and saving new versions to other locations.

I guess ideally, I'd have patches organized in banks of 5, starting at 000 optimized for my different guitars, because my controller can access 5 patches at a time in controller mode.

My footcontroller has 10 presets per bank.
So I have always the same kind of sound on the same switch 0-9.
No matter if I am in the bank for Marshall, Metal or Pop or whatever,
on Place 3,6,9 are clean sounds, 2,5,8 are solos, 1,4,7 is distorted-rhythm.
That makes it easier to always step on the right one.
It also makes editing easier.
Bernd

Back
Top Bottom