tips for modifying a heavy rhythm sound for a solo tone

Alan Benjamin

Inspired
Greetings,

I've been making a good amount of progress in getting the basic sounds I need for my prog band's live show, but have noticed my previous approach to programming solo/lead tones (modified from heavier rhythm sounds) isn't working the way I'd like. Prior to migrating to the AX8, I played a Vox ToneLab SE through a Fender Hot Rod DeVille 410 and I always seemed to be able to dial in good heavier rhythm sounds and then crank up the gain, volume, and add delay to get the solo tone I wanted.

I tried this approach on the AX8, but the solo tones end up sounding deeper, muddier, and less aggressive than their corresponding source rhythm tones (when I switch back and forth). I'm guessing there must be a better approach on the AX8, but am not exactly sure if that would be using a PEQ/GEQ, and/or drive pedal to modify the actual timbre of the source patch.

I haven't used the traditional pedals-into-an-amp in over 25 years now (and had a very basic setup back then), so any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and take care,

Alan

I'd start with adding more mids on top of what you are already doing, this could be in the amp or adding a mid heavy drive pedal like a tubescreamer.

Greetings,

I've been making a good amount of progress in getting the basic sounds I need for my prog band's live show, but have noticed my previous approach to programming solo/lead tones (modified from heavier rhythm sounds) isn't working the way I'd like. Prior to migrating to the AX8, I played a Vox ToneLab SE through a Fender Hot Rod DeVille 410 and I always seemed to be able to dial in good heavier rhythm sounds and then crank up the gain, volume, and add delay to get the solo tone I wanted.

I tried this approach on the AX8, but the solo tones end up sounding deeper, muddier, and less aggressive than their corresponding source rhythm tones (when I switch back and forth). I'm guessing there must be a better approach on the AX8, but am not exactly sure if that would be using a PEQ/GEQ, and/or drive pedal to modify the actual timbre of the source patch.

I haven't used the traditional pedals-into-an-amp in over 25 years now (and had a very basic setup back then), so any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and take care,

Alan
Filter block before amp block, filter block after the amp . Before will increase gain, after will increase volume depending on where levels are set

A lot depends on the style.

If your rhythm sound is scooped, try a tube screamer with drive 0 in front to cut the bass and boost mids.

I actually use the same amp between rhythm and lead (Bogner Shiva) but my lead sound boosts the shiva with an overdrive. Usually an RC booster or a t808 mod, and I change the IR to something brighter and more present.

My rhythm sound uses greenbacks, lead uses v30s.

Greetings,

Thanks for all the helpful feedback. Will experiment accordingly and let you know how it goes.

What amp are you using for rhythm?

Three amp setups like this thus far:
  1. TX Star Lead (with a BB Pre DRV)
  2. Plexi 100W High (with a T808 OD DRV)
  3. USA Lead Brt + (no drive pedal)
Take care and best wishes,

Alan

I've been trying this with the dweezil bman. I used to have a heavily modded super reverb that sounded pretty similar. I'm trying to decide whether to use the X/Y switch to same amp with different settings, or completely different amp with scenes. Way too many options on this unit....

For me, some amps make better lead channels than others. I like them heavy with lots of gain and usually I just need to add a little delay, reverb, and a boost. Adding in a little midrange can for sure help cut in the mix as well. No matter what rhythm amp I'm using, I still just use one amp for leads. I don't match the two.

You can also modify input gain using scene controllers.

I've been using a vol block at the end of the grid to attenuate all but my lead scene. Lets me set all scenes to 0dB on the VU meter and then back off by X dB for all but lead. Easier to change your mind about the lead boost level since you don't have to rebalance all the other scenes.

Back
Top Bottom