Tips for getting fuller sound from FRFR

Yes this would be interesting to know!

I have been messing with the Air & freq settings in the cab block! this really opens the sound up and gets you away from that direct sound of a close mic'd I/R.

TBH, I never understood this. What AIR does, is letting part of the signal bypass the Cab block processing entirely. That's not opening up and not equivalent to "amp/cab in the room"....

Yes this would be interesting to know!

I have been messing with the Air & freq settings in the cab block! this really opens the sound up and gets you away from that direct sound of a close mic'd I/R.

Biggest difference makers were:
Preset 2 copy - @90db
  • adjust amp "tone" circuits (I use a vox amp block - rolled highs and lows back) it took a while to find the tone I was looking for
  • lowered the effects mix about 20% in the reverb and delay blocks - also rolled off high and low frequencies (granted these sounded normal in my headphones - too much wash out in the frfr's)
  • added some "thump" control although I could not really hear much difference
That's really all it took :)

Other things I tried on another preset that worked and I could have easily went that direction as well:
Preset 1 - @90db
  • lowered some high end on the impulse response - nice tweak
  • added a parametric eq block at the end of the chain (rolled off highs and lows and added a mid bump after doing a freq sweep)
  • changed one of my IR's to the Factory 2 Pig 57
  • Adjusted the speaker balance to 9am / 3pm
  • added speaker thump ??
This approach would have been fine to stick with and complete for final satisfaction I think, but I decided to go in different direction with Preset 2.

Ultimately what I ended up with is a sound that is "very" close to what I hear in my in-ear monitors. It was a noticeable improvement over the thin far away / cheap amp sound I did have.

Great to see you managed to get something you like :)

I personally never succeeded in getting a sound I like from any monitor (even with great one like Adam A7X that I eventually sold) / FRFR solution, that probably my hears...

Actually the best "live" sound I have is using the "power amp" input from my BOSS Katana Artist MKII (it act like a power amp + cab).

Great to see you managed to get something you like :)

I personally never succeeded in getting a sound I like from any monitor (even with great one like Adam A7X that I eventually sold) / FRFR solution, that probably my hears...

Actually the best "live" sound I have is using the "power amp" input from my BOSS Katana Artist MKII (it act like a power amp + cab).

Thanks!

Did you use your Katana with a fractal?

Back
Top Bottom