Tips and tricks for using Axe Fx with IEMs

unix-guy

Master of RTFM
So, my 1964ears V6s IEMs finally arrived! Now to the task of getting usable sounds in conjunction with the Axe Fx.

I've done just a bit of experimenting, and this has helped a lot. Let me first say what I have already tried, and then I would really appreciate your tips and tricks.

Ultimately, I would love to be able to use the same presets with IEMs and with my Xitone+ Matrix FRFR rig. I plan to setup routing so the reverb is going to Output 1 for IEM mix but not to Output 2 for the speakers.

First step was putting the reverb on and in series for everything. Previously, I had just the smallest amount of reverb in parallel and only on my clean sounds. With out the reverb everything was very harsh sounding. I used the Studio setting but dialed the time down to about 1.8 and increased size to 40. Mix was about 20%. I'm not a big reverb user... I don't like to "hear" it, if that makes sense?

Next I set the stereo cab block to actually have panning. Ended up with the setting at about -75/+75, but I will play around more with this.

These two things helped dramatically!

Other things I tried:

Altering the hi/low cut in the cab block: low was already at 80 or 85, High was at 8500. I dropped high down to 6500... I need more time on this one.

Altering the hi/low cut in the reverb block. Seems to help keep things clearer. I think I was using something like 120/4000.

I've already had some EQing in the chorus block, so no change there.

I added a small cut of maybe 2-3db in the amp EQ at 250Hz.

I always have a compressor at the start of my chain, set to Studio type but fairly light compression. I lowered the threshold from -45 to something like -60. This helped tame some of the pick attack transients that were grating on me with IEMs.

I tried out the enhancer block, too. I will probably revisit this, but not sure it's really something that makes sense for live use with another guitarist.

Something else I recently did before getting IEMs that helped with clarity in my presets was to enable Ducking in my delay, which is something I have on all the time (time around 360ms, mix about 12%, regeneration set for 1-2 repeats). I set the threshold down to around -70 and attenuation of 8db.

Hopefully these help somebody else? I've got more work ahead of me but I'm starting to be hapy!

Please share your ideas and techniques :rolleyes:

I run my axe in stereo hard panned into two channels. I tweak for my monitor, this usually means my Iem mix needs a little more bass which I make up for with the eq on my sennheiser pack. Or on the mixer channels going to iems.

I also cut highs in cab block down to 6-8k depending on the cab. Panning in your mix helps open up the mix, sounds less congested.

I can only offer that I mic my cab to the mixing console, and my in ears go through AUX send from mixing console into Rolls headphone amp, even for rehearsals. The entire band mix is in my ears. I don't have to adjust anything except my personal volume.

Personally. The hardest thing about using IEM when I made the switch on my first tour is just the proximity of the sound source. Sound coming from Speakers on stage have a certain distance to travel to your ears, IEM has fractions of an inch to get there.

Without washing your patches in reverb, I just decided to mike up my amps and practice with IEM, you can do the same with the AxeFx and the headphone jack. Just get used to playing that way.

Some room mic irs and reverb can help soften the 'immediacy' but in general it's just getting used to having your sound right next to your eardrum.

Personally. The hardest thing about using IEM when I made the switch on my first tour is just the proximity of the sound source. Sound coming from Speakers on stage have a certain distance to travel to your ears, IEM has fractions of an inch to get there.

Without washing your patches in reverb, I just decided to mike up my amps and practice with IEM, you can do the same with the AxeFx and the headphone jack. Just get used to playing that way.

Some room mic irs and reverb can help soften the 'immediacy' but in general it's just getting used to having your sound right next to your eardrum.
Yes, that is what I am finding... Also, I can't really run the IEM levels as loud as my speakers.

I'm starting to realize that I need to get my head around hearing things in my ear rather than from outside. Similar to the switch from guitar cabs to FRFR... I think half the battle is mental!

I've also gone through much of my signal chain and started refining settings that never really stood out as being an issue with speakers but are for me with IEM: Compressor, ducking on the Delay, different Chorus settings, panning the Cab block -100/+100 made a big difference in overall clarity.

Yes, that is what I am finding... Also, I can't really run the IEM levels as loud as my speakers.

I'm starting to realize that I need to get my head around hearing things in my ear rather than from outside. Similar to the switch from guitar cabs to FRFR... I think half the battle is mental!

I've also gone through much of my signal chain and started refining settings that never really stood out as being an issue with speakers but are for me with IEM: Compressor, ducking on the Delay, different Chorus settings, panning the Cab block -100/+100 made a big difference in overall clarity.

Yeah, it's a tough switch. And I did it with analog amps and mics before I got into the Fractal/Running direct game. I always ended up having a ribbon mic put about shoulder height in front of the amp, if I could get the monitor guy to do it for me. Basically putting the mic where your head traditionally is. That particular tour also had the cabs miked off-stage which was great.

One trick I did to "transition" into IEM was using the IEM in one ear, and an earplug in the other as I got used to it. I would switch side the IEM was on to help ease into it. I did that during my first rehearsals until I was comfortable with keeping both in.

I run IEM a lot now (JH16 custom molded) and I'm pretty used to how direct the sound is. Usually, if I take a guitar solo or something that I need to really "feel" that distance between my ears and cab, I usually pop one IEM out and solo away and pop it back in. It's kind of an art. 95% of the time, I'm comfortable and confident with keeping both in.

I just get the same mix as FOH but with vocals a little more focused.

I think a big waste of time is caring about how perfect your own sound is and wasting your gig focusing on your monitor instead of performing.... but that's just me I guess.
I think that depends on the person. Personally, I didn't spend $4-5k on gear to not worry about my sound. I play music first and foremost for MY enjoyment... If I didn't care, I'd just use a Zoom and some crappy ear buds!

I think that depends on the person. Personally, I didn't spend $4-5k on gear to not worry about my sound. I play music first and foremost for MY enjoyment... If I didn't care, I'd just use a Zoom and some crappy ear buds!
I get your point, but it struck me funny because one of the primary reasons I picked up my Axe-FX was to STOP worrying about my sound and I couldn't be happier.

Regardless of the quality of my mix (and I prefer IEM's but sometimes logistics dictate I use whatever) and what I hear for myself, I never worry about FoH and that's what matters to me.

[QUOTE="Severed, post: 1373767, member: 30237"I think a big waste of time is caring about how perfect your own sound is and wasting your gig focusing on your monitor instead of performing.... but that's just me I guess.[/QUOTE]

Spot on!

This also applies to most band mates I've ever played with.

Gigging is way more enjoyable once you cross this mental threshold.

I started using a Haas delay effect on my patches and it really made a difference in they way a perceive my guitar tone. The enhancer block does a similar effect, but I think I prefer just using a dual delay block and setting that up to do the Haas effect.

man, never use one ear, you will whomp that ear. Very easy to test. Put in your earbuds, get to a good volume that is comfortable, then remove one. What just happened, sounds like it's lower volume. Your brain perceives a volume drop so what do you do? Go for the volume to compensate, so you are doing more damage than good.

I have a pretty good mix going now with our ear rig. I didn't reach for any volume all night long, just played. I can almost hear my guitar too well, makes me a bit more conscious of my playing. Watching video back spots where I thought I miffed something, sounded fine out in the mix.

If my sound is not right I have problems getting to that sweet spot in my mind where my improvisation soars, a not good sound is a distraction.

Exactly!

Everyone has different needs... My bassist doesn't care about the sound quality at all. For him, this is just a tool to be able to hear everything at the appropriate levels.

For me, as a tone freak, i want a great sound.

I've got $3k in the Axe Fx and MFC, I've got $1500 in IEMs and wireless, and $2k+ in mixer and peripheral stuff. This shit should sound fantastic! Not just passable, not "meh"...

I think it's worthwhile to develop a mix that is inspiring.

But for a lot of situations, the live monitor mix is a compromise not an ideal.
This was why we moved away from traditional monitors in the first place...so we have control, and it is a good and consistent sound.

I've been thinking about going back to IEM's but I am very hesitant.

I've played around with IEM's for a long time, it's a love hate relationship. They are very convenient, space saving and I absolutely love them for Vocals. As much as I love them for vocals it's the polar opposite for guitar, I hate IEM for guitar. It never feels and sounds right on guitar.

Good luck on your quest.

I like to split snake stuff when it comes to running monitor and foh mixes. If you have a mixer that is on stage with you to handle nothing but in ears for yourself and band, that is likely one of the best ways to insure you get what you want, short of having a dedicated sound guy that knows what you want and is use to working with you.

If you need to alter the eq's for your in ears, do it from the monitor mixer, with the split snake it will be independent of what your sending to foh or even to FRFR if you are using those as well. I highly recommend a digital mixer in this case to handle the monitor mixes. Since your mixes will likely not change much night to night. Being able to recall settings from a backup is great. Not to mention no chance of knobs getting turned during transport.

just my 2cents though.

This is a very helpful thread as I'm about to take steps into the IEM world. This past weekend I used a Jamhub and Blue Mofi's to see if its something I wanted to invest in. I've had the Jamhub for years just sitting in a box until I found out it could be used as an IEM solution. I was very pleased with the results and plan to use it this weekend when we play in LA, but this time with Shure SE530s, that I thought were broken but actually sounded great.

Back
Top Bottom