tips and info for a new matrix owner?

Jaekae

anyone who can give some tips on using the matrix gt1000 amp with the axe fx 2, or give a link to where i can find info, like the approach of creating presets and how to connect them the best way etc.

Right now i can get good clean/semi clean tones, but everything with distortion sound weird and hollow and kinda like a blanket is put over the cab,

I've updated to v10 but it feels like my axe never perform as good as it should, all clips i hear is alot better than what ive ever managed to get (even when downloading that same preset)

I've heard people have this problem but I don't experience this. I run my GT1500FX out of Output 2 via the FX loop and have the Output 2 Level maxed for unity out on the Axe. I use the channel levels knobs on the Matrix to control volume. I've found I have to get the channel levels to a sufficient point to drive the cab's speakers before it sounds like it should.

What kind of cab and speakers? When I got my GT1000 I was blown away with how great it sounded! I use 2 EVM12l's in a Budda open back cab.

This is a bit old, but it might be helpful. From Matrix themselves

Tweakistry :: Matrix

Matrix also says on that page: "Some of our clients have already worked out a few tips and tricks to get from a patch designed for a valve amp to a patch better suited for a solid state amp."

I think it's a much better idea to start your patches over from scratch. They were also using a GT800 amp, the OP has a GT1000.

right now i use a xlr cable from output 1 to the matrix amp, and cab sims OFF in the global setting, ive started over with everything, did a complete factory reset when i got fw10, started over with all presets and t, ive made one patch with a fender ampsim that sound reallly good with the matrix into the suhr 1x12 cab with scumback m75 speaker, but i cant seem to get any distorted sound to sound like it should, it becomes hollow and muddy, in a couple of days ill get to try it with a mesa 2x12 v30 cab also.. bought the matrix amp with 15 days of testing and full money back guarantee , but still want it to work.

edit: tried output 2 to the matrix and got of the tiny hum i had :) but still cant get any decent distorted tone, but this cab ive never tried with distortion before also, ony used it with a suhr badger amp before. maby it become better with a 2x12 with v30 speakers?

Last edited:
anyone who can give some tips on using the matrix gt1000 amp with the axe fx 2, or give a link to where i can find info, like the approach of creating presets and how to connect them the best way etc.

Right now i can get good clean/semi clean tones, but everything with distortion sound weird and hollow and kinda like a blanket is put over the cab,

I've updated to v10 but it feels like my axe never perform as good as it should, all clips i hear is alot better than what ive ever managed to get (even when downloading that same preset)

VERY IMPORTANT: If you have turned power amp modeling OFF, then the Presence control in the Amp block becomes a "high pass" filter, and if the the presence is set too low, it will sound muffled. Go to the Amp block, and turn up Presence until you get the tone you're looking for. This solved most of my issues with running through a matrix into regular speakers.

i have poweramp modeling on
will try adding more depth, im pretty sure its only axe settings problems, since the matrix amp work flawless on my clean patch

I think Cliff mentioned in another post that you had to adjust the LF resonance (FW10) on amp sim to match the cab when you are using not using FRFR and using a power amp and traditional cabs.

Each cabinet (traditional guitar cab) is going to have a different number (I think someone with a Marshall cab hit it by accident (80-85).

So before you start spinning dials I would go there and play with that setting until you find a match to the cab you are using.

What LVC said is correct, this will make a big difference. You can dial it in by ear, or look up the value for your speaker. From what Scott Peterson said on another thread, the cab raises the resonance by ~10. So for instance, my Eminence Man O Wars have a Resonance Freq of 91 Hz, so I would try around 101 until the speaker sympathizes. Let us know what you find, but this is more of a polishing step, and you may have another issue.

Last edited:
This is a bit old, but it might be helpful. From Matrix themselves

Tweakistry :: Matrix

Thats my vid, and I probably wouldn't go by that too much any more.

Firstly it was shot when the GT800 came out, and the GT1000/1600/1500 are slightly different. Secondly it was a way for those coming from a Valve power amp to audition the Matrix using their existing patches. Just make a few minor changes (as per the vid), save them in a other patch and you could switch patches and amps to get a reasonable comparison which made the process easier (as opposed to designing new patches for the new amp). It is always better to design new patches when you get new equipment. That said - worth a try if the OP is struggling.

Its possible the OP is having FW10 issues as others have - how was FW9?

Also, if the Op can post a patch - we could have a look and see if theres something obvious, or if its the OPs expectation (ie we all think its fine and he doesnt).

Back
Top Bottom