Tips/advice for "bright' guitars with the Axe-Fx?

Thank god for my ability to dial in a tone that sucks! :lol

Maybe we should get back on topic with the marshalls, but that's a those amps I am less familiar with.

Jens

Edit: I think that the YouTube videos just show that the amp is in fact modelled quite accurately, which is quite comforting,
even if it makes you doubt you A/D converters...

Last edited:
Reactions: jon
Put a PEQ first in your chain, and dial out the offending freqs that cause the map models to sound harsh.

Well the recording posted reinforces my comment... it IS on 15-17 fret and on E and B strings.... no Axe problem but a guitar setup problem is my O2.... regarding overtone or ghost notes..

Well here's a take on a marshall tone, I am not sure if this is too much gain to call it crunch, but I was going for dialling out the high end.
It is recorded with at strat using the bridge pick up.

@joeymexico, which recording are you referring to mine or Paul's? I don't think that my guitar has any setup issues like that, that I can hear anyway.

Jens

Attachments

• 1987x Mod.syx
    2 KB · Views: 7
I was referring to the Ghost notes or little overtones that paul mentioned... which in the clean recording are present, like a tiny high pitched vibrations after picking...and when you switch to other more clear (bridge or bridge-middle configs specially single coils) pickup configs or you exert more force in the strings it becomes more pronounced...
Regarding high tones I suggest you tell us how is your setup, speakers? amps? ... I was getting frustrated with my bassy tones some weeks ago... I did a lot of changes which included turning poweramps sims off, take out all the PEQ used in effort to correct the bassy tones, increase the presence on my power amp (to make it more a linear response they say).... Before this I made a mess with all that, and the old power amp tubes were contributing to my bassy tones... treat the Axe like a real tube amp... minor adjustments... (I use a tube amp VHT 2902) and also I changed my amp tubes and now I love my setup ... the amp I am using more and more is the Hiwatt (know for being trebbly sometimes) and I nailed a pink floyd tone so perfect that I am going to make a recording cause is scary precise....everybody that hears it immediately after they hear it they begin talking about how similar to Gilmour sounds....... I am using it with everything hahah... the Wrecker, JCM800 and Plexi are alive now... my suggestion is start simple, once you like the tone you are getting then add whatever you like... PEQ, Rev, ETc... Also the Axe seems to like High gain pickups .. dont know why... but a very gainy Ibanez with Steve Vai pups is the Sh*t when I plug it with High gain patches but also reveals much more detail with clean patches...
Good Luck with your tones...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom