Tip to avoid audio gap

Marco Fanton

Fractal Fanatic
Vendor
as you may have noticed, there are some blocks that create an audio gap if you change the channel.
some of these blocks are amp, Drive and Cabinet.
To avoid the audio gap you can use two blocks but remember to let the blocks in the same channels even if the block is in bypass!!!!
To check this you can use the block layout where you can see the channel status.
Be sure the blocks don't change the status even if they are in bypass, for example let all blocks on channel "A"
Only in this case you have a perfect seamless scenes change :)

Delay and Chorus are not affected of this issue.
I hope in the future the drive block channel behavior will be improved like in AX8

Ciao ;)

Hmm. So... If I understand correctly, you're saying that if I want to switch between a high-gain amp and a clean amp, my best bet is to place two amp blocks in a row, both on the same channel, and bypass one while the other engages, correct? This, as opposed to using only one amp block, but 2 different channels?

...my best bet is to place two amp blocks in a row, both on the same channel, and bypass one while the other engages, correct?
Cliff has stated in the past that one should NEVER put Amp blocks in series. I don't recall why but I do remember him stating that here.

He suggested if you want to use 2 amp blocks, put them in parallel them and set their Bypass Modes to Mute Output.

Hmm. So... If I understand correctly, you're saying that if I want to switch between a high-gain amp and a clean amp, my best bet is to place two amp blocks in a row, both on the same channel, and bypass one while the other engages, correct? This, as opposed to using only one amp block, but 2 different channels?

I made this video to show how I compose my rig diagram.
I use two amp block in parallel, cabinet is the same but you can use two cabs in the same way,
Two drives in parallel
As you can see there is no any audio gap between the scenes.

Marco,
I had to look at this twice because I got lost in your playing and forgot to look at what you were showing!

Am I correct in that you have 2 amps in parallel and amp 1 is "B" and amp 2 is "A"?

I thought both amps need to be "A" or "B" etc?

Marco,
I had to look at this twice because I got lost in your playing and forgot to look at what you were showing!

Am I correct in that you have 2 amps in parallel and amp 1 is "B" and amp 2 is "A"?

I thought both amps need to be "A" or "B" etc?
:D
doesn't matter which channel, it is important the block stay in the same channel in all scenes.
the gap occurs when you switch the channels of these blocks. Even of they are bypasses.
i love so much to switch from hard distortion to clean seamless :)

I'm not at my Axe right now but couldn't you have a setup like this: When you switch to scene 2, amp 2, couldn't you also have amp 1 go to channel B as it bypasses so that channel would be available for scene 3 with no gaps? Then as you go back to amp 1 in scene 3, you could have amp 2 go to channel B as it bypasses so that channel would be available for scene 4. I'm not sure this will work but I would think that bypass on & off happens faster than channel switch so the new amp block would be engaged instantly which would hide the channel switch on the previous amp block. I hope this makes sense (and works LOL!)

Just curious about your MF Fryette Dream patch, did you need to update it to sound better with Firmware release 3.01?

I'm not at my Axe right now but couldn't you have a setup like this: When you switch to scene 2, amp 2, couldn't you also have amp 1 go to channel B as it bypasses so that channel would be available for scene 3 with no gaps? Then as you go back to amp 1 in scene 3, you could have amp 2 go to channel B as it bypasses so that channel would be available for scene 4. I'm not sure this will work but I would think that bypass on & off happens faster than channel switch so the new amp block would be engaged instantly which would hide the channel switch on the previous amp block. I hope this makes sense (and works LOL!)

it is very simple, both amp stay always on the same channel A or B or what you prefer, but never change the channel!! This is important!.
In any scene you can switch ON or OFF the amp (clean or Distorted) without any gap.
You can try yourself

So are you saying that the AX8 has faster A/B switching then the channel switching on the AXE3?
The amp changing on AX8 is not Faster than AXE FX III, but you have no chance because you have only one amp block,
In the last FW 10.01 is faster enough to play live without problem if you know the behavior and you anticipate the switching.
I say the drive block has no issue like drive block on AXE FX III.
In AX8 I use only one drive block and I switch X/Y without gap.
IN AXE FX III you can fell the gap even if the drive block is OFF. This is the reason I use to drive blocks.

I agree on these gaps. It makes amp channels and cab channels useful for having a bunch of sounds within a preset that doesn't need to be seamless, but useless in the sense of a scene having multiple amps and cab combos available over 8 seamless scenes.

This is where for me, more amp blocks would help.

I don't seem to experience any gap when changing channel on Drive blocks.

All my presets are currently a "pedal platform" design with a base "clean" sound and using different channels on the Drive blocks for drive variation.

I'll try to confirm tonight, but that gap has always been a thorn in my side from Axe Fx II X/Y...

Definitely there for Amp blocks... Although much faster than Axe Fx II.

I don't seem to experience any gap when changing channel on Drive blocks.

All my presets are currently a "pedal platform" design with a base "clean" sound and using different channels on the Drive blocks for drive variation.

I'll try to confirm tonight, but that gap has always been a thorn in my side from Axe Fx II X/Y...

Definitely there for Amp blocks... Although much faster than Axe Fx II.
We did some recording at a show a couple weeks back and I can definitely hear the dropout when I change form rhythm to lead patch.

But are you sure it's not from changing amp channels? I'm definitely going to test.
It definitely is from changing channels on the amp block. I didn't notice during the show but it was obvious from the recording that the audience is hearing it.

It definitely is from changing channels on the amp block. I didn't notice during the show but it was obvious from the recording that the audience is hearing it.

the gap is very very small, of course you can play without any problem.
But AXE FX III si so powerfull that you can create de "Dream rig" :D
This is the reason I call my presets "Dream presets" :D

Back
Top Bottom