Tiny Mixer for rehearsing?

Hallstein

Hi !

I'm a new Axe-FX user, and using the POD HD500 before, i liked the possibility to hook a 3,5mm jack from my computer to the POD, and going into my headphones for silent rehearsing when my better half's asleep.

I'm wondering how i can hook this up with my Axe-FX, do i need to buy a small mixer?

I have already gotten the Axe-FX working with my headphones by running the Unbalanced Left and Right mono outs to my headphones. (using some adapters)

1/4inch mono jacks -> 2x Mono Phono.
Phono -> 3,5mm Female Stereo jack
3,5mm Female Stereo Jack -> Headphones, adjusting volume with Output1 pot.

Is there some kind of Headphone amp maybe, with 2 inputs and 1 output?

Thanks.

PHONIC maybe?

Hi Hallstein,
I use one of these PHONIC mini mixers. Nothing special. But very good to get the AXE, an MP3 player and the TV on the headphones. So I have all options for late night playing ... and I can even connect a little stereo sytem to get decent sound at bedroom level. :twisted

I'd stay away from behringer. But that's just me ... :roll

Cheers!

Hi there, I'm laso interested in buying a mixer for bedroom playing and, I was considering a small mixer. behringer was an option, so I would appreciate if Micha could tell me/us why you don't recommend behringer. Since there are a lot of mixers out there, and (in my case)i'm not very much experienced with them, some extra info would be highly appreciated.

Ok, you got me ...

Hi there, I'm laso interested in buying a mixer for bedroom playing and, I was considering a small mixer. behringer was an option, so I would appreciate if Micha could tell me/us why you don't recommend behringer. Since there are a lot of mixers out there, and (in my case)i'm not very much experienced with them, some extra info would be highly appreciated.
Hi Marty!
Ok, you got me. :mrgreen
Maybe there's a small amount of prejudice involved ... :eek:ops
But I got the recommendation to buy the PHONIC over the Behringer stuff. It's the values in the specs sheets and that Behringer builts in cheap components and produces in China (ok, they have to, to keep the price low). Maybe it's all nearly the same in this price range. And I must admit that I have no experience with Behringer mixers.
Yes, I have an FCB1010 which ... I'm glad that I have it :roll . But I'm sure that I'll switch to the MFC as soon as I can affort it.
So I should be consequent and say that you shouldn't buy in this price range if you want to have something decent.
But as I said, at home, the PHONIC does the job. Maybe the Behringer does it as well.
No special Behringer bashing here ... :mrgreen

We picked up a small Behringer mixer for along the lines you're looking
It doesn't even get used for a paper weight
The AxeFx is too nice to plug into it
Don't waste your money

You can do it without a mixer. Add an FX Loop block to the grid and route it directly to the main output mixer. Connect your computer audio to input 2 / FX return. Don't forget that if your global EQ settings are not flat it will effect the the sound of your audio on input 2. You can get around this by adding a Graphic EQ block between the FX Loop block and the output mixer, set the Graphic EQ up as a mirror opposite of you global EQ settings.

Hi Hallstein,

I use a Behringer Xenyx 802, with no problems at all, especially for headphone playing in the middle of the night.

Another option, which has a direct connection (hi-Z) for the guitar is the Mackie 402-VLZ 3. This unit was not available when I was looking but looks promising.

As far as brand loyalty is concerned... either will do the job... both have their strengths and weaknesses... Go have a look at both and then decide.;)

You can do it without a mixer. Add an FX Loop block to the grid and route it directly to the main output mixer. Connect your computer audio to input 2 / FX return. Don't forget that if your global EQ settings are not flat it will effect the the sound of your audio on input 2. You can get around this by adding a Graphic EQ block between the FX Loop block and the output mixer, set the Graphic EQ up as a mirror opposite of you global EQ settings.

Wow, i will definately try this !

Tried the FX-Loop method today. It works.
Since im not using any external pedals (why would i?) this method works just great. Plugged my Headphones out from my computer into the FX Loop, and an FX Loop block straight into output in the patch. XLR Outs go out to my monitors, or i may also use the Line Out for my headphones, they drive them no problem.

No mixer needed, no mixer used.

We picked up a small Behringer mixer for along the lines you're looking
It doesn't even get used for a paper weight
The AxeFx is too nice to plug into it
Don't waste your money
I have to disagree with some of the B*ringer comments - including this one. My $0.02 is that it DEPENDS!~! B*ringer DOES make some VERY good products for the price point. Sure they build in China to keep costs down, but do your research before you buy elsewhere. You get what you pay for these days and small-footprint mixers are small-footprint! Xenyx mixers have had good feedback, even the smaller ones. Their headphone amps, mixers, DSP's are generally OK. They are not guaranteed for life, but what is these days. And the Truth series studio monitors have had excellent reviews and are a great buy!

That said, your decision should be based on best-bang-for-the-buck budget needs. Sometimes this IS B*Ringer. Don't be a gear snob - go with what works for you. Not everyone can afford Genelec, Digi or Amek gear.. There is a place for Mackie, B*ringer, Kustom and Nady in the MI market.

Back
Top Bottom