Time Well Spent...

bleujazz3

Fractal Fanatic
Enjoyed an afternoon to myself and the FM9. Earlier today, I repaired my PRS DGT SE's intermittent 3-way toggle, although the work looks slipshod. Have determined to do a better job once new parts arrive. The good news is, for now, the DGT passes signal to the FM9 (didn't before).

So for a good 3 hours, I thought it wise to spend time with my FM9, tweaking parameters so that the DGT SE would be the baseline guitar from which any of all additional level adjustments could be made.

Am very happy with my 3 banks of 5 presets. Previously, either things were too loud or too quiet; the gain structure too granular, and not smooth enough. Am happy to report that my DGT SE repair "put a bee in my bonnet" this afternoon, and the results of FM9 grokking/tweaking for 2-½ hours were nothing short of amazing.

Ever experience a day where you start out knowing you've got to fix something you'd previously messed up, you solve the problem, and that inspires you to bigger things? That was how my day progressed. It almost always feels good when you correct a problem and are rewarded for your efforts.

I would make one suggestion as you dial in any Fractal with a new guitar. I keep the amplifier block's "Input Level" on the performance page so you can tweak it to find the sweet spot. At this point, I know my single coil guitars like it at noon...and the humbuckers like it at 9 o'clock. It's a quick twist/save and I'm ready to go.

One day, Fractal might implement global blocks to control parameters like this on the FM9, but it's an easy enough adjustment.

Those are the best days my friend!! Sometimes rare but well worth it!!
Thanks, it was one day I didn't need to do anything unwarranted. Just enjoyed the afternoon with my FM9.
I would make one suggestion as you dial in any Fractal with a new guitar. I keep the amplifier block's "Input Level" on the performance page so you can tweak it to find the sweet spot. At this point, I know my single coil guitars like it at noon...and the humbuckers like it at 9 o'clock. It's a quick twist/save and I'm ready to go.

One day, Fractal might implement global blocks to control parameters like this on the FM9, but it's an easy enough adjustment.
TBH, I don't use the OFM9G layout with PERFORM, just the factory-stock layouts. Does anyone know if "Input Level" can be adjusted within a layout other than PERFORM? FTR, I don't own any single-coil guitars, just humbuckers. This may the reason why I don't tweak input level...

My "real" thought once I'd finished with guitar was to put my groceries away where they belong. Reality, or subjective opinion?

TBH, I don't use the OFM9G layout with PERFORM, just the factory-stock layouts. Does anyone know if "Input Level" can be adjusted within a layout other than PERFORM? FTR, I don't own any single-coil guitars, just humbuckers. This may the reason why I don't tweak input level...

I'm not quite sure what you're saying The layouts shouldn't have anything to do with the performance pages.

I'm not quite sure what you're saying The layouts shouldn't have anything to do with the performance pages.
Then you're speaking above my pay grade...am not sure where to locate performance pages, unless it's from the front panel...how does one access?

Ahhh.... no worries.

On the unit's display, if you click the page right button, you'll see parameters that can be adjusted (gain, bass, mid, treble, etc). These are the performance pages and they are totally configurable. I've set my performance pages up to have quick access to parameters that I might want to tweak when gigging.

Leon Todd has a great video on how to modify the performance pages.

You can also set up custom "Per Preset" parameters that change when you switch presets. It's a more advanced topic but worth knowing about as you become more familiar with the unit.

Ahhh.... no worries.

On the unit's display, if you click the page right button, you'll see parameters that can be adjusted (gain, bass, mid, treble, etc). These are the performance pages and they are totally configurable. I've set my performance pages up to have quick access to parameters that I might want to tweak when gigging.

Leon Todd has a great video on how to modify the performance pages.

You can also set up custom "Per Preset" parameters that change when you switch presets. It's a more advanced topic but worth knowing about as you become more familiar with the unit.

Thanks. I'd thought there was something from the front panel that would do this. (These I've not explored just yet; I've not yet taken the FM9 to gigs or open-mics; will bookmark this post and refer back to it when needed.)

Back
Top Bottom