Time spent playing guitar vs time spent learning/tweaking AXEFX

Wherever you go, there you are …

duck dynasty ae GIF by Beamly US

Is this the right question? Or is it how much time do I spend watching people on YouTube tweak patches vs actually playing? :D

But really I find that the tweaking presets thing ebbs and flows. I did spend a lot of time learning, even though I had an Axe-Fx 2 for years. Massive shout out to Leon Todd (like he needs another) for making this so approachable. I end up with things that I’m really happy with and then either some new effect comes along or Leon or Cooper Carter talk about something I never considered and then it’s back to re-examining all my patches. Keeps things interesting.

Is this the right question? Or is it how much time do I spend watching people on YouTube tweak patches vs actually playing? :D

But really I find that the tweaking presets thing ebbs and flows. I did spend a lot of time learning, even though I had an Axe-Fx 2 for years. Massive shout out to Leon Todd (like he needs another) for making this so approachable. I end up with things that I’m really happy with and then either some new effect comes along or Leon or Cooper Carter talk about something I never considered and then it’s back to re-examining all my patches. Keeps things interesting.
I love watching those people AND they put their stuff on exchange for free. They tweak, we play. At 59 and playing since the seventies I’ve “learned” more about amps and effects and the relationship in chains since I got the FM3 then the Axe than all the years of real amps and effects. Edit sure makes it easier than crawling around connecting and switching cables.

My tweaking happens in waves, generally right after a significant firmware release when I upgrade and check all my presets. I also like to check out any new goodies Cliff adds to the FW. I'm a preset per song guy so I also spend some time tweaking making new presets when my band learns new songs. Some of those take a few minutes, and others might take a few days to refine...depends on the song. The rest of the time is playing time, usually just running problematic parts of songs I already know or refreshing my memory between gigs.

I'd rather tweak alot and learn the gear i used money on. The reason i bought it was to be able to do just that. Why is this even up for debate?

I find it interesting tht people use the unit so differently, and of course there are multiple ways of using it. IMHO this is the most fantastic ting about it. And, people are different.

For my part, I don't strive to be a shredder or some kind of guitar god. I just want the music i play to sound good to my ears. (And hopefully others)

Back
Top Bottom