Time for new amp-SD PS 170 or Quilter Tone Block 201?

gibvictory

Inspired
Searched the forum and read what I could find on each. The price point and form factor is roughly the same.

I've been gigging my Axe FX II since late 2013. I'm playing a Brian Moore piezo equipped 13 pin guitar through a 16 ohm Matrix NL12 which serves me well onstage. I bought it mainly as a guitar cab with enough frequency range to monitor piezo and synth sounds. I also bought a Matrix GT1000 along with the cab and did not get along with it, primarily a feel thing, plus the congested mids I've heard others mention. Tried my Mesa 20/20 amp and the feel was back. The Mesa color didn't bother me. I just found amps within the Axe that worked well with this combo. I've never gone the FRFR route to "take advantage" of all the different amp and cab voicings. I found a half dozen or so "go to" amps in the Axe and I'm good. The mesa has had to be serviced more lately than I'd like and it's time to move on. I'm monitoring myself on output 2 and sending FOH from out 1 via FX Loop using an IR of the Matrix cab.

Any advantage of one over the other for my purposes? Which one would be powerful enough for a 16 ohm cab at fairly loud volume? I've looked for comparisons between those two specifically on this forum and on Youtube but found little to go on. I have read Yek's recent positive thread about the SD PS 170. There was also a thread, recently, where Cliff recommended the Quilter to the OP. I don't remember the particulars of that thread.

Any thoughts appreciated.

So, you’ve tried some things and still want to “monitor” with amp/cab, is this correct?

I have the SD 170 and a Quilter Pro Block.
I enjoy both. Here’s a couple things about each.
SD170: treble, mid, bass along with a volume knob. I have used it with a 4X12 live with no problems. The big thing for this unit is it has only 1 speaker out, no chance of running 2 cabs. Although it does have the smaller footprint of the two choices.
Quilter: has a variety of tone shaping options, yet not the traditional treble, mid, bass knobs. Also plenty of headroom for use live. Has 2 speaker outs, so that’s a big difference. This one has a bigger footprint, yet not so much so that it couldn’t be on a pedalboard if that works for you. Also, has a gain control. Check out the difference between Tone Block and Pro Block.

Both will work for a single 4X12 scenario, yet only the Quilter offers the dual speaker option.
I found both very usable live with cabs, and each has tone shaping controls to help.

I still have both, and don’t necessarily see myself selling one. They both are quite good and I do use 2 cabs once in a while, so I need the Quilter for that, if for no other reason.

I would definitely try them out...see what gets it done for you!!

Thanks for your reply. It was helpful. I pulled the trigger on the Powerstage. Don't need stereo, form factor is smaller and weighs less (need to cram it in the back of a 4ru rack) and full retail is $50 less than the Quilter, although I did find a good price that made it a $90 difference. My only concern is if there will be enough headroom at about 40 watts with a 16 ohm cabinet. I'll find out soon enough.

If anyone else wants to chime in I'm all ears.

Update: After two full days I have to say I'm pretty surprised and satisfied. I thought there would be quite a difference between the Mesa 20/20 and the Powerstage. There's plenty of headroom for my 1-12, 16 0hm cabinet. The feel is just ever so slightly stiffer. It will never be exactly the same but with surprisingly little tweaking I have full confidence for this weekends gigs. That's a full on classic rock band with two guitars, keys, bass, drums, percussion and lots of vocals. I don't think the band or my soundman will notice the difference. Score!

Back
Top Bottom