Tickling the Red

I would like tickle the red.

I read what the manual says about input level and I have adjusted from the default 50% to 100% for the the first input. Guitars are maxed and straight in to either instrument in. Input an the front panel is fairly solid on the 3rd (yellow) led. The Axe III interface monitor shows about 80% (in the levels and the preset view).

Presets are all working well and sound fine (subtly better at 100% than 50%). These are Strats and I did see a video suggesting that Strats or similar may need to be maxed but I expected that at 100% I would be tickling away.

Is this expected or am I missing something?

Palm muted chugging is typically the loudest output noise I can make. See if that can make it clip.

Just a few days ago I updated the manuals to say that it's totally fine for lower output guitars to not reach the red.
Set the input trim as high as you can without MORE than tickling the red.

I have a strat that likes it near 50% and a 7 string with DiMarzio humbuckers that likes it around 15%. I need to test a bit more but this is reassuring. I assumed I'd lose some dynamic range on the strat if I just leave it at 15% all the time. Not that my gate is dialed in well enough to make that matter yet. I'm new so I'm usually rushing past all that to play with amps and effects.

I would like tickle the red.

I read what the manual says about input level and I have adjusted from the default 50% to 100% for the the first input. Guitars are maxed and straight in to either instrument in. Input an the front panel is fairly solid on the 3rd (yellow) led. The Axe III interface monitor shows about 80% (in the levels and the preset view).

Presets are all working well and sound fine (subtly better at 100% than 50%). These are Strats and I did see a video suggesting that Strats or similar may need to be maxed but I expected that at 100% I would be tickling away.

Is this expected or am I missing something?
all is good. you don't need to tickle the red. you just don't want to be in red. if 100% doesn't get you to red, that's totally fine. this is not input "gain" or anything that affects the presets. it's a signal-to-noise ratio.

set for your loudest guitar, then you're done, even if other guitars don't hit as hard.

Back
Top Bottom