Three Sessions In... What's not to Love?

Big Joe Daddy

Experienced
I've just completed three full evening sessions getting to know the AX8 and I just felt I owed Team Fractal the courtesy of a response. For the record, I'm running a MM Majesty >> AX8 >> Atomic CLR. (My usual rig consists of the AxeFX II along with the MFC 101 direct to the PA, and we all run in-ears.)

Anyway, on with my initial thoughts.....
The AX8 user interface is a masterpiece. Unbelievably well thought out and so, so versatile. After studying the thing for several hours, I spent another couple of hours simply planning how I would set it up for my particular wants and needs. With so many choices, sometimes it's tough to choose. The end result is absolutely no compromises. The interface is one of the most clever arrangements I've seen. One one hand, it's the most simple setup you could ever want. Then turn the page and it becomes a monster of possibilities. The physical layout is really well done and the build quality of the unit itself appears to be built like a tank.

AX8-EDIT is a perfect match for the AX8 and is simply icing on the cake. My familiarity with Axe Edit made it a snap to learn my way around. But the incorporation of all the foot switch programming, scene and block management, just hits it right out of the park. Kudos to those responsible for building such a fine piece of software.

But let's not forget the real purpose of this thing. The tone! Right out of the box, so many of the factory presets just sound awesome. That should be a real winner for those new to the Fractal world. I've read several of the threads explaining that the modeling in the AX8 is exactly the same as the AxeFX. That may be true, but I've stumbled across a whole new set of 'favorites'. For instance, the Tucana Lead, the 30W Top Boost, the Dirty Shirley, and the Plexi 100W 1970, all rang the bell for me. I've even ventured into Fender realm where I typically don't spend much time, and got some great results.

All-in all, it's just an amazing little box. Incredibly portable and convenient, packed with a plethora of versatile features and functionality, and so many awesome tone possibilities. If you can't find the tone you're looking for in this little unit, you might want to check to see if all your marbles are in place.

It's rather comical when I think about the fact that I bought this thing simply out of curiosity. I didn't need it. I already own two AxeFX II's. But what a wonderful tool and I'm stoked that I did buy it. When the situation presents itself, I can leave the rack at home and walk out the door with this little thing under my arm and be ready to gig in minutes. So what's not to love?

Thanks Fractal. You hit a homerun with this one.

Couldn't agree with you more!!!!
The buildquality
The userinterface
And the tone!
I had it for one month and just played
Three patches double verb top boost
And the plexi this covers it all...
I just Wanna play and not feel the need of tweaking.....

First time in my playing career (30 years) that i've not yearned for something better... A floor Ax was always on my wish list back when i first bought the Ultra years ago and I have to say i am utterly and completely satisfied with the AX8. No more gas here...

That's actually the biggest problem with Ax8 - I like GAS, and I like the joy of getting a new 'toy'. With the Ax8, I have no GAS for pedals or amps. I have GAS for guitars now, but the guitars I want are sooooo expensive :D

I agree completely with OP. It is a wonderful tool, and I find it extremely fast to set up song specific patches. A good amp tone and a few effects, and I am done.

First time in my playing career (30 years) that i've not yearned for something better... A floor Ax was always on my wish list back when i first bought the Ultra years ago and I have to say i am utterly and completely satisfied with the AX8. No more gas here...
Couldn't agree more!
R.I.P. GAS!!!

That's actually the biggest problem with Ax8 - I like GAS, and I like the joy of getting a new 'toy'. With the Ax8, I have no GAS for pedals or amps. I have GAS for guitars now, but the guitars I want are sooooo expensive :D

I agree completely with OP. It is a wonderful tool, and I find it extremely fast to set up song specific patches. A good amp tone and a few effects, and I am done.

I have been suffering from that ever sense Axe FX days! but it is nice to only be wanting just guitars and not both.

I also agree. I just bought Fremens Presets for the AX8. They were also the basis for my Axe Fx2, and he did a great job with the AX8 Patches.
Thers a patch called Euro Blue crunch, which is love a lot. I love this unit, how it reacts when you play with your Volume Control.
Cliffndid an awsome Job with his stuff. I started with the original Axe Fx and continued until present AX8.
I never buy anything else!

My GAS for pedals and amps has gone away, but what is the three letter acronym (TLA) for amp and effects settings within the AX8 or Axe FX II? I learn a lot on this forum!

Back
Top Bottom