Thoughts, please: out with FX II and in with the AX-8?

Don't you guys suspect that eventually a full featured floor pedal will come out with equal processing power to the current rack? That would give the customer the choice as to which they'd buy for themselves. Kind of like what Line 6 has done with the Helix.

You could have the FX8 for effects only, the AX8 for performance and amp modeling (1 amp), then the new Axe Fx III (just a guess) in either rack or pedal formats. Let's see what happens...

As I posted in a similar thread I'm really torn on selling the II for the AX8. My 4 space rack carries the II, extra power, mini mixer (for acoustic gigs and backup to the big mixer), my wireless and is essentially one cable on the floor for any gig. I can also fit a lot of cables and such in the back, in fact ALL of the cables I need for my PA for acoustic gigs. It's also prewired for stereo when I use my PA and has outs to go stereo at venues where they can accommodate. I like my rig neat and tidy with very minimal cabling / plugging in...

The AX8 will be awesome for looping and hit it and quit it gigs BUT --
Probably won't use my wireless
Probably won't run stereo
Won't have the option for dual amps (which I don't use but have started to consider because I am the sole guitarist in essentially a 3 piece)
Will require power cable and audio cable to mixer
The II is of course perfectly suited as the brains to my home studio rack desk.

Oddly enough for reamping the II is not quite full featured enough so that is a wash between the II and AX8 (for reamping I would use an analog solution in most cases, at least for dry runs)

Many decisions to make, but I can honestly say having many gigs coming up that I'd love to be able to throw the AX8 into a backpark vs. drag a second 4 space rack (my primary mixer is the Behringer XR18 + IEM rack).

I'd like the AX8 - and can wait until it's more easily available without waiting too long from G66 for EU buyers.

But I don't think I'd give up my AxeFX rig ..... we've bonded ..... I might marry it in Vegas

The AxeFX is a dream come true. So I would never choose owning the AX8 over owning the AxeFX.

I am, however, selling my 2013 AxeFX II Mark II (feel free to PM me with serious offers) to fund my AX8 purchase.

But, I'm definitely keeping my 2014 AxeFX II XL.

The AX8 is a welcome addition to our FAS arsenal, one that will come in very handy for someone like me that has two powered FRFR Atomic CLR NEO wedges.

How, you might ask? I can take one guitar, one powered wedge and one AX8 to my small gigs, jams, practice sessions, vacations, etc., where I may not want to haul around the full physical footprint and tonage of a six-space rack and two CLRs. I also recognize that I will not always need to have the large sonic footprint of a full blown two-amp AxeFX II preset dominating the mix for every situation (boy that's hard to admit).

Your bandmates, friends and family members may appreciate the AX8 option too for the smaller events described above.

I plan on making strategic and extensive use of the AX8, but its not a replacement for my XL for home studio use, recording and bigger events.

I'm right there with ya as I think most are. I'm a little scared to lose everything we have in the axe. But I'm fairly certain I can make do very well with everything its going to have. The fact like you say to basically just need a guitar, small pedalboard and speaker. Ditching the rack which happens to be my heaviest part.

For Gigs though I'll still have a rack with poweramp and conditioner in it. For practice I plan to use my little EHX 44magnum mounted on my pedal board. It will do the job for rehearsal. Fact is no compromise in tone for the amps, drives, fx, cabs...etc. all at your feet. The thought of super portable lightweight rig is just awesome.

I think 1st time Fractal buyers will be thrilled with AX8, but a lot of guys used to Axe-Fx II could be setting their expectations too high. I predict some future complaining about the 'lack' of CPU power. But then, there are bound to be guys who will buy it and not realize that you can't just load Axe-Fx presets into it directly.. even though that is already well documented.

Pre-release everyone is dazzled getting Fractal sound in this form factor and price.

agreed. this is going to be an excellent device for first-time FAS customers. for current Axe owners, many are viewing it as a "step down" and in regard to certain functions and features, perhaps it can be viewed as such. but i would rather suggest viewing it as a "step sideways" and an option. the AX8 is not a direct replacement for an Axe-Fx II, and knowing that going in should alleviate a lot of unjustified disappointment.

I never used 10% of the AxeFx's total capabilities. I had one patch that used two amps that technically I can live without. I welcome the opportunity to downsize.........soon...........hopefully.......

After carrying my 6 space rack to practice yet again last night, I've decided I should most definitely be able to deal with a few cuts of the ax8 for the ultimate portability. I'm just pumped. I have a mono dual bag. I can even store a small AX8 in the second guitar compartment if I want. Its just a no brainer. The 1% uncertainty is only because the final details of what's included are still a bit unofficial.

I've already sold my Mark II and MFC figuring it would bring a couple bucks more before the AX-8 was released. Boy was that a mistake. :(

I think 1st time Fractal buyers will be thrilled with AX8, but a lot of guys used to Axe-Fx II could be setting their expectations too high. I predict some future complaining about the 'lack' of CPU power. But then, there are bound to be guys who will buy it and not realize that you can't just load Axe-Fx presets into it directly.. even though that is already well documented.

Pre-release everyone is dazzled getting Fractal sound in this form factor and price.

Even some Axe-FXII owners may be happy. Less options is a good thing sometimes.

My rig is almost identical, except I'm still running a STD unit. I'm on the AX8 wait list, but I'm debating just buying an AXE II. If I go with the AX8, I will probably buy a pedaltrain, and mount my X2 wireless underneath the pedaltrain. I think it will fit just fine, an then I'm left with the decision of what to do with my power amp and 2x12 cab. I could just put the amp in a separate rack, or go with a powered monitor. Not sure yet.

......and mount my X2 wireless underneath the pedaltrain.......

Huh....hadn't thought of that. I may try the X2/P2 mount....now I'm back on the AX8 side of the argument (and I've been an Ultra/AxeII/MFC owner for some time).

As I posted in a similar thread I'm really torn on selling the II for the AX8. My 4 space rack carries the II, extra power, mini mixer (for acoustic gigs and backup to the big mixer), my wireless and is essentially one cable on the floor for any gig. I can also fit a lot of cables and such in the back, in fact ALL of the cables I need for my PA for acoustic gigs. It's also prewired for stereo when I use my PA and has outs to go stereo at venues where they can accommodate. I like my rig neat and tidy with very minimal cabling / plugging in...

The AX8 will be awesome for looping and hit it and quit it gigs BUT --
Probably won't use my wireless
Probably won't run stereo
Won't have the option for dual amps (which I don't use but have started to consider because I am the sole guitarist in essentially a 3 piece)
Will require power cable and audio cable to mixer
The II is of course perfectly suited as the brains to my home studio rack desk.

Oddly enough for reamping the II is not quite full featured enough so that is a wash between the II and AX8 (for reamping I would use an analog solution in most cases, at least for dry runs)

Many decisions to make, but I can honestly say having many gigs coming up that I'd love to be able to throw the AX8 into a backpark vs. drag a second 4 space rack (my primary mixer is the Behringer XR18 + IEM rack).
keep both like many guys here are doing...

agreed. this is going to be an excellent device for first-time FAS customers. for current Axe owners, many are viewing it as a "step down" and in regard to certain functions and features, perhaps it can be viewed as such. but i would rather suggest viewing it as a "step sideways" and an option. the AX8 is not a direct replacement for an Axe-Fx II, and knowing that going in should alleviate a lot of unjustified disappointment.
glad i dont have this issue...To justify an axefx2xl+ and an ax8 i would need to be making a great living from just playing my own music...and because i just cannot afford the axefx2xl+ with MFC thingy...i will get the ax8 and try it out.

Back
Top Bottom