Thoughts on passive FRFR speakers?

OverAmp

So I see the much loved Verve FBT series is also available in the passive variety.

I currently have a QSC GX3 power amp and was wondering if this pairing would work decently or would I be better served just getting an all in one powered speaker like the QSC k10 or the powered version of the verve fbt?

Anyone running a power amp/passive setup like this?

OverAmp said:
So I see the much loved Verve FBT series is also available in the passive variety.

I currently have a QSC GX3 power amp and was wondering if this pairing would work decently or would I be better served just getting an all in one powered speaker like the QSC k10 or the powered version of the verve fbt?

Anyone running a power amp/passive setup like this?

You might PM boleary2. He just bought a pair of Verve 12 m's and he is going to run an SLA-2 that I used to own for power. He should have things up and running unless he didn't have any time this weekend. It should prove to be a winner.

How would using the built in power amp of the FBT be different than using my QSC GX3? I assume that perhaps the powered FBT might still be a better option...

Anyone else got this type of setup going?

OverAmp said:
How would using the built in power amp of the FBT be different than using my QSC GX3? I assume that perhaps the powered FBT might still be a better option...

Anyone else got this type of setup going?

If I'm not mistaken the FBT Verve 12ma is bi-amped so the quick and dirty is the crossover network is placed in front of the amplifiers befor the two signals are amplified.

Definitely a more efficient way of doing things. How this translates to things sounding better is the internal amps are not having to work as hard trying to amplify frequencies that they would normally have to in a typical full range type of amplification so more clarity, headroom and efficiency are the results.

According to FBT the active crossover is set at 1.8 khz so everything below that number is delt with by the 300 watt amp and everything above that number is taken care of with the 100 watt amp.

Back
Top Bottom