Thoughts On FM3 Into Seymore Duncan PowerStage 170

22 frets

Experienced
I hope I can ‘splain my question so that it makes sense. I play in a Classic Rock covers band and I have a pair of QSC Q10s and a Mesa Boogie Mark V:25. I previously had an AX8 that I used mainly as an effects processor front end into the loop return on the Mesa Boogie V:25. This made the AX8 effectively a preamp and effects pedalboard. I used it with the amp and cabinet modeling bypassed. This worked well until I got caught up into the Amp Modeling/Cygnus movement and decided I needed an FM3.

I got the FM3 about a year ago but due to COVID the band has been pretty inactive, so I only just recently started trying to get the FM3 gig ready. I feel like if I use the FM3 as a front end preamp/effects unit for the Mesa again that I am limiting my possibilities and I am missing out on what can be done using the amp and cab modeling. But try as I may, I cannot get the sound that I am looking for when I use the amp and cab modeling through my QSC 10. It just does not cut through the mix and move air the way the Mesa does on stage (or in practice). My lead guitarist has a Fender amp and Strat and the QSC 10 just gets lost. Also, no matter how I try to adjust things, the QSC 10 sounds boomy and bass heavy to me. So…. here is my question.

Is the Seymore Duncan Power Stage 170 a neutral sounding solid state power amp head that would work well with the FM3 Amp modeling turned on to allow me to take advantage of the FM3 amp modeling or is that still not recommended because I am still running an amp modeler into an amp.

I really don’t want to drop a lot of money and time trying out the various FRFR cabs. I don’t have access to any where I live and don’t want to get into shipping them here and then having to ship them back and get a refund, etc.

What are others doing if playing through an amp head? Any Power Stage 170 users out there using FM3 amp modeling? I get a really decent sound through the Mesa Mark V:25, but it is basically the Mark V:25 power amp sound with Fractal effects. It would be nice to be able to take advantage of more of the FM3 features. Thanks for reading my rambling question. 🙂

Last edited:
I have both. fm3 out 2 into power amp return of a Mark 4 with amp modeling on but cab bypassed going onto a 2 x 12 and also the same setup on the fm3 going into the powestage 170 and then the same 2 x 12. In both cases out one goes to FOH with the cab coming from the fm3. The amp setups are just because I like to feel the sound behind me (even when i am on in ears....yes im that old) and for the members of the band not on in ears. The audience and are really hearing pure fractal. The FOH engineer is always happy and full of compliments.

I prefer the mesa....so the 170 is carried as a backup. You have to get the level into the power amp right....not to high or you get spikes in the treble range, but when you do get it right it just feels better to play than the 170. More weight and more "give" when you play if that makes sense. I also love the graphic, which on the mark 4 is over the poweramp and lets you tune the stage sound to the room.

Also it looks much better on stage....vanity is one of my (many) defects of character.

PS 170 user here - i think it's great. The EQ is super handy for quick local cab adjustments and it's really small and light. What i need to figure out is a good shaped tone. I'm still in the finding process of a good low/high cut right before out 2 to sound good in a mix, though. Playing through a orange PPC412 cab and it's damn loud enough :)

slaggi, crdark, and fsharpminor, thanks for your feedback. I thought I might be onto something, but I was a bit concerned because of my non-standard setup. Nice to hear there are others doing the same. I will keep tweaking and see how it goes.

@fsharpminor - I assume you accomplish your setup of running Out 2 into the Mark IV with no cabsim and Out 1 going to FOH with FM3 cabsim via internal routing in the FM3, correct? Also, are you saying that the front panel graphic eq sliders affect the tone of the power amp stage of the Mark IV when signal is being input from the FM3 into the loop return on the Mark IV? I have never tried that on my Mark V. I think I just assumed the eq sliders were used to shape tone in the preamp stage and therefore would be bypassed when bringing in signal into the loop return. Well duh? Have sure been missing out on that option! I’ll have to check that out. Thanks for the advice.

MrPond - Thanks for chiming in. I have been thinking about the PS 170 because of its compact form factor. I don’t want to leave my Mark V:25 head at our rehearsal location and even though the Mark V:25 head is light and compact for a tube amp, the less weight and bulk I have to lug around each week the better. I may just contact Sweetwater and try one out. Appreciate your input.

slaggi, crdark, and fsharpminor, thanks for your feedback. I thought I might be onto something, but I was a bit concerned because of my non-standard setup. Nice to hear there are others doing the same. I will keep tweaking and see how it goes.

@fsharpminor - I assume you accomplish your setup of running Out 2 into the Mark IV with no cabsim and Out 1 going to FOH with FM3 cabsim via internal routing in the FM3, correct? Also, are you saying that the front panel graphic eq sliders affect the tone of the power amp stage of the Mark IV when signal is being input from the FM3 into the loop return on the Mark IV? I have never tried that on my Mark V. I think I just assumed the eq sliders were used to shape tone in the preamp stage and therefore would be bypassed when bringing in signal into the loop return. Well duh? Have sure been missing out on that option! I’ll have to check that out. Thanks for the advice.
Thats correct, I split the grid after the amp and effects one line goes to a cab and to out 1, the other line goes to a parametric eq and then to out 2. The parametric eq allows me to tune the sound to get it very simillar to the front of house sound. Then I tweak 'on the night' the onstage sound using the graphic on the mesa mark 4.

On the Mark 4 the graphic is over the power amp. The output from the fm3 output 2 goes direct to the loop return using a humbuster cable. The graphic eq is on all the time using the rear panel switches. All of the front panel knobs on the mark 4 are set to zero except the out volume. I found it sounds best to have the out 2 level from the fm3 set to about 2 oclock. Not sure if the mark 5 is the same tho? Hope that helps.

The powerstage is great as well.

I am running a PS 200 into a 1x10 and 1x12 FR of my own design and construction and it sounds just great. I also tap that same signal off the mixer into my EV EKX-12 PAs. But probably similar to the QSCs, it sounds clean and loud but doesn't quite punch like the PS200 into the FR cab. If that's of any help...

I've been using the FM3 into the Seymour Duncan Powerstage 700 into a Marshall Silver Jubillee 2x12 for about a year and I love it. I think the Powerstage amps have a major advantage with their 3 band EQ - it allows you to shape the tone in the room without messing with your presets. I split the signal at the end of the chain in the FM3 - the XLR outs have cab sims and the 1/4" outs go direct into the Powerstage with no cab sim. It's the best of both worlds. I can just go direct with the XLRs to the front of house and still have major stage volume running the Powerstage into the Marshall cab.

The SD is a great power amp and should work fine. As far as the QSC side of the house, the 10s tend to be less cutting. I have used the 12s and the work really fantastic. I had several events where that was the FOH system as well as monitors on stage and they worked so well I bought two for instances where I would need to bring sound and didn't want an extra amp as well. The key for that amp in the room set up was the level of those presets and you also need a certain amount of volume coming out of the QSC. I would also say this set up is not the best in a quiet environment, but I am guessing you have a fair amount of volume with another guitarist in the band. From my side, I just found the 10s to get washed out but never had that problem with the 12s.

FM3 into SD Power Stage 170 into 1x12 cab (power amp modeling on, cabsim off) works like a charm for me.
Same here. I run it into a Bogner 1x12 at shows and an old Mesa Road Ready 4x12 at rehearsals. I dig it. I like the fact that the Power Stage has an EQ - so if I want any minor tweaks it can be done on the fly.

I'm using a ps2 with a mesa widebody 1x12 and I haven't been able to get a high gain tone that I like. I love the cleans and fx but the high gain sound terrible boomy muddy and lifeless. I think I'm going to sell it or buy a tube amp and use it for fx.

Haven't had the opportunity to gig with the FM3 yet, but I'm preferring the SD > 212 set up in the studio.
The EQ really helps with different cabs. Hardest part for me, is finding the right IR to use for FOH. Keen for gigs to come back so i can fine tune my patches. I'm jumping on the FM9 but will transfer my presets across.
dmt3yqW.jpg

Another PS 170 user here, going into a Zilla 1x12 cab using the FM3, sounds fantastic. As has been said, the EQ on the SD is very useful for quick adjustments when using different guitars and in different rooms etc.

Went the Class D route for all the obvious reasons, but in the end, went back to hauling the Matrix around. It just has that added something the D stuff just lacks.

Thanks to everyone. I probably will pull the trigger in the near future. Your input has been very helpful.

Back
Top Bottom