This Year's Gear Discoveries

I replaced our Presonus Studio Live gig mixer with the Soundcraft Ui16.
Using it wirelessly with a newly acquired $150 tablet with 10.1" touchscreen.
Also got a couple of ADJ Stinger multi-function lights for our live show, they add quite a bit for the price.
Also got the AX8, the Line6 G10 wireless, the ISP Technologies Stealth 180w pedalboard amp for portable stereo out to my Matrix CFR's
Also picked up the Friedman BE-OD because it sounds amazing, and useful for my small pedalboard.

I'm sure there's more, but I don't remember...

The AX8 has been stellar in sound, functionality and portability.

One cool thing about the Key9 is being able to play Beck's Where It's At. I have to admit that it was fun.

Reactions: yek
I purchased a TC-Helicon Voice Live 3 Extreme for my vocals, really cool effects unit, the guitar effects are good to but I struggle with the dist tones. (It isn't anywhere near Fractal Audio technology tones)

That acoustic guitar pedal does sound impressive in the demo. I will get one. :) How does it compare to a tone match? I find the tone match still needs compression and roll offs on the ends of the spectrum, but have had good results that way, but not perfect in terms of dynamic range, but i haven't experimented with compression going into the source (or target) for the IR. It may help if you compress the bridge pickup signal going into the 'source', in addition to when using the resulting IR.. Or not. o_O

Last edited:
I discovered the Warmoth 59 Roundback neck profile is pretty much the same carve as my beloved '95 PRS Standard's neck so I can at least get my wish and have that carve on all my bolt-on guitars now.

- TC Electronic BodyRez pedal
Really enhances the natural tone of my acoustic (EDIT: not piezo). I can approximate its effect by building a preset with EQ, compression etc., but the BodyRez is more more simple to use.

Hey that seems nice. Are you going front or rear input on the AxeFX?

Thanks in advance!

I borrowed a friend's MEL9 for a couple days and it's on my want list for sure.

Got really nice additions to my gear this year.
Things that stood out:

- EHX Mel9 (Mellotron emulator)
THE discovery of the year. Already tried the Key9 pedal but was disappointed. This one is a far better experience and a real head turner at gigs, after learning how to use it. Very, very, very addictive.

What are yours?

Love it ! Checked right on for the Key9 pedal and found it even more surprising. Thanks for sharing, but you opened up a new GAS period I fear....

That acoustic guitar pedal does sound impressive in the demo. I will get one. :) How does it compare to a tone match? I find the tone match still needs compression and roll offs on the ends of the spectrum, but have had good results that way, but not perfect in terms of dynamic range, but i haven't experimented with compression going into the source (or target) for the IR. It may help if you compress the bridge pickup signal going into the 'source', in addition to when using the resulting IR.. Or not. o_O

I have 4 presets for my J-45 acoustic.

The one I use with the BodyRez is the most simple and sounds best to me: just high-pass and Concert Hall Reverb. The BodyRez is placed between guitar and Axe-Fx or AX8.

Then there's one with a MBC block, TUBE PRE amp block, high-pass and Concert Hall Reverb. This is the pure tone of the built-in under-saddle pickup of the J-45. Nice tone but the BodyRez is an improvement for sure.

Finally two presets where I use Tone Match blocks, created by Vkcarillo. You can find these on Axe-Change: search for "914ce". You're right, I still have to use the MBC in these presets. Very nice but different tones.

I purchased a TC-Helicon Voice Live 3 Extreme for my vocals, really cool effects unit, the guitar effects are good to but I struggle with the dist tones. (It isn't anywhere near Fractal Audio technology tones)

If you have the latest firmware, the BodyRez algo is in there.

I use that with my acoustic guitar sounds great. It's probably the same as the pedal version?

I use my Voice Live 3 as my foot controller for the Fractal; sold my MFC.

I agree the amp and distortion algos in the TC are really lacking compared to the Fractal.

My best gear discoveries/purchases for the year has been:

Fractal AX8: Even thinking of selling my Axe Fx 2 because I use the Ax8 almost exclusively now. None of the limitations really bother me. Sounds awesome obviously, so easy to setup, so flexible. Just awesome.

Line 6 G10: It's soo nice not having a separate battery pack for a wireless unit. I bought this thinking I'd only use it at home and I've since replaced my Shure GLXD system on my Ax8 board. It's been absolutely rock solid, charges quickly and no noticeable tone degradation. Hopefully they'll release like a G15 unit in a more pedal friendly format with standard 9V power.

Matrix FR10: the smallest and lightest, great sounding FRFR powered speaker out there. The only thing I don't love about it is a slight hum that is only noticeable when it's silent at home, and the 3 way push selector for true FRFR, low volume mode and high pass mode. It resets every time it starts up. A simple physical 3 way slide switch would have been better as I'd assume most people would use low volume mode at home and switch to either true FRFR or high pass mode when playing loud, and now we have to push the selector button each time we power on.

Barefoot buttons: Just makes my Ax8 easier to use with the "tall boys" on the second row.

PRS P245 Semi-Hollow: My first Piezo equipped guitar. Running through the Ax8 with some acoustic IR's I think it sounds better than when the other guitar player in our band plays his acoustic going direct.

Speaking of Mellotron and new gear discoveries: I got me a Nord Stage 2 EX 88 HA at the end of May.
I think there went my whole budget for musical stuff for this year :eek: but it was and is well worth it :)
Never felt more inspired in front of a keyboard .
I'm slowly breaking into Keyboards (still mainly Guitar/Bass), that Nord you bought is the Ultimate Maximum Supreme of KeyBoard Quality, not that i have one yet. Anything you think they could improve (hardware or software)? Did you add to or replace a previous keyboard with the Nord Stage 2 EX 88 HA ?? Thanks ! :smile:

On order, but not yet in my hands, is one of these:

which I plan to pair with the Axe8 (and, thanks to Yek's tip, a Mel9).

I'm slowly breaking into Keyboards (still mainly Guitar/Bass), that Nord you bought is the Ultimate Maximum Supreme of KeyBoard Quality, not that i have one yet. Anything you think they could improve (hardware or software)? Did you add to or replace a previous keyboard with the Nord Stage 2 EX 88 HA ?? Thanks ! :smile:

Some background info:
I started to play the (acoustic) guitar around the age of 7 with a teacher, and I started to press some keys on a toy keyboard even before that. I got a very basic keyboard at the age of 8 or so and even had a teacher for some years, too, but I quit 'cause had only time for one instrument along school and guitar was always my favorite.
After that, I always kind of regretted that, because whenever I sat down at a decent keyboard or piano, I had ideas and realized that it'd take only some regularly playing for me to get better. OTOH, I never intended to write songs on it or even play keys in a band. So I spent my money on guitars and guitar gear, knowing that I'd have to shell out some serious ca$h if I ever decided to get a keyboard that would satisfy my spoiled ears ;) I always had an eye on the Nord stuff, too; my "The Doors" band's keyboard player has been playing a Stage for years.

You ask about a previous keyboard: I had a Korg T2 (big brother/successor of the famous M2, if I'm correct) from my cousin, who's a keyboard/piano/organ player by trade, that I'd take out of the case every other year if I had the desire to play or record some sounds, but the fun was quite limited: dated onboard sounds, synth keybed (yes, it's easier to play, especially for someone without practise like me, but playing grand piano stuff on this? Come on. Also seemed pointless to me starting to practise on that.) and hooking it up to a PC for VSTi and effects was just to much hassle with still subpar results.

So fast forward to 2016: the desire bit me again, I had the money (and nothing better on the guitar side to spend it on) and along came an opportunity that I could not ignore. I had some guilty conscience, as I never spent as much even for something guitar related (except my Strandberg), but as I said, it proves worthy and is fun everytime I sit down and play.

Answering your question what could be improved, you may consider that so far I only play and record at home no rehearsal or gig experience yet. I've got a few, mostly subjective things that could be improved on, IMO:
- a dedicated stage keyboard (notice the name?!) that has no XLR or even balanced 1/4" outputs? That's over my head, especially in that price range.
- even though I got the EX with 1 GB of memory for piano samples alone, it's just not enough with Clavia's awesome and constantly growing library (that is for free!) at hand.
- the same goes for the 384 MB of memory for other samples. There's so much fun stuff in Clavia's library (Mellotron mastertapes, e.g.), but the available memory feels limiting.
- I'm a fan of the simplistic and easy approach, but I think the bigger screen and setlist mode of the recent Electro models would be nice on the Nord Stage, too.
- I'd welcome more effects parameter and flexible signal chain routing, but I'm totally spoiled after 8+ years of using Axe-Fx and this would be opposite of said simplistic and easy approach. No real complain here. Sounds are stellar and everything is perfectly usable.
- That said, the overdrive of the rotary effect could be improved (a lot). Still I am spoiled ;)
- Despite being no keyboard player, I have to agree with what I read, that the Wurlitzer E-Piano sounds are weaker than the other electric piano sounds and sound less inspiring.

Don't get me wrong, those "complaints" are rather nitpicking and don't bother me as much as it might seem. The Nord Stage plays and sounds just awesome and I really enjoy editing and operating on it - didn't need the manual a single time, which also is a big plus in my book; I've learned how to use guitar gear and effects over the years, but I neither have the time nor the nerves to "learn" a keyboard, just to get the sounds I want. The Stage excels at that.
At the moment I even think about getting the triple pedal for more authentic sounds and feeling.

BTW, the constant and free firmware updates and sample library additions remind me of my favorite guitar gear company ;) and put the high price of admission somewhat into perspective.

Sorry for going offtopic in a guitar gear thread...

My best gear purchases this year were my Schecter KM-7 MK-II and my Port City OS vertical 2x12 (V30 + Creamback H).

Now that I've got a lovely seven string, next year I think I'd like to up my six string game... Possibly a KM-6 MK-II or a Petrucci Majesty if EBMM decides to release that sexy blue flame top version to the masses...

Bought an ADA PBF (Pedalboard Flanger) This has a switch for using it with bass and they added a level control that wasn't on the original ADA Flanger. This classic flanging sound was used extensively by Pat Travers, Nuno Bettencourt, Paul Gilbert and Prince among others.

Matrix FR12 -- Big sound, low weight.

And -- heresy -- I replaced the Fender Noiseless p/us on a second-hand Jeff Beck Strat with a Seymour Duncan AXE-all loaded pickguard from Sigler. Although there is bit of hum on split coils, I am very happy with added bite, chime and clarity and I am getting with that change.

Back
Top Bottom