This thing consistently blows me away.

Romo82

Experienced
I just dug out my trusty old TS808 for shits and plugged it in to the front of the FM3 just to see how it sounded. My 808 was always my go-to secret sauce and sounded beautiful on a Fendery amp or savage on a high gain amp so I was curious to see how it would work with the FM3 models. So I set up duplicate patches, with 2 scenes one with the drive block bypassed and a FX send/return enabled with the real 808 in and vice versa so I could A/B the tones between scenes, got the levels as balanced as possible and set the controls exactly the same between the real one and the Fractal.

To my ears, the 808 model sounds exactly the same as the real one. I sat noodling for a good 45 mins going A/B/A/B........... and I just hear no difference. The dynamic response is the same to me, the tone is the same, all of it.

Best piece of gear I've ever owned, hands down, absolutely no regerts!

I really am intrigued to hear Cygnus because if people are saying that sounds better than Ares, I just dont know how its possible.

That's all.

I just dug out my trusty old TS808 for shits and plugged it in to the front of the FM3 just to see how it sounded. My 808 was always my go-to secret sauce and sounded beautiful on a Fendery amp or savage on a high gain amp so I was curious to see how it would work with the FM3 models. So I set up duplicate patches,

I've only ever used modelers because I just don't want to haul around tube amps, cabs, and pedal boards. This is hands down the best I've seen. There are some other good products out there (you can get good tones from Line 6 and Boss), but the FM3 to me kicks it up a level. It really inspires me to play and no other modeler has done that. It's the most expensive modeler I've ever owned and it's worth every dollar.

Something else I've noticed is that I don't want to use as many effects because the amps sound so good. Now I am starting to enjoy just really stripping it down. Give me an amp, cab, some reverb, maybe a little delay and I'm good.

Last edited:
Something else I've noticed is that I don't want to use as many effects because the amps sound so good. Now I am starting to enjoy just really stripping it down. Give me an amp, cab, some reverb, maybe a little delay and I'm good.

Price point is excellent value, considering the quality of the hardware, the software, the sounds and the support.

I’m the same, most of my presets end up with just drive, amp, cab, delay and reverb, maybe some chorus and compressor for clean tones.

I’ll probably start to sell of gear, because the FM3 replaces every single piece of gear I have, and gives me not only more, but also sounds as good, if not better, than all of my other gear.

So what do ya think about Cygnus Romo82?
I honestly wasn't sure how Ares was going to be improved upon as to my ears it already sounded incredible. But I think Cygnus improved the dynamics in the models, in a feedback to the player way, its very hard to articulate in words. I guess the best testimonial is that when I play now, it absolutely feels that I'm playing through the real amp and not just sound like it.

The broad spectrum of tones at hand is what has solidified, to me at least, that Fractals modelling makes the prospect of owning real amps completely unnecessary for my purposes. The fact that I can go from a Tele twang to deep-tuned metal, using one piece of hardware, with all the FX bells and whistles I could want and sound absolutely stellar, has signaled the practical end of amp and FX hoarding for me.

Now Guitar hoarding, I'm afraid will likely continue in perpetuity.

Back
Top Bottom