This may make you give up playing lap steel

That's so cool. I don't know much about lap steel but the sounds and intonation he gets out of that is amazing.

Well in order to quit it, I'd first have to take it up! :p

JK, very nice post! That guy is talented!

I've never been much of a lap steel fan, but fairly recently discovered Larkin Poe. One sister plays guitar and the other totally rocks a lap steel. Until hearing them I'd just assigned it to bluegrass and country.

Steve is great and I've been following him for years.
Larkin Poe is another band that I follow.
I play my 8 string lap through my FM9 and love it.
But I'm just a hack in comparison to Steve and the Lovell sisters.

It rather motivates to open up the bag with the lapsteel I used with a blues band 4 years ago (already..). Incredible how he masters the string demping with his left hand fingers totally silent, no perturbating string noise. I wonder if he uses a particular size string demper to get that precision, you really hear only one string.

Man! I bet he could pull off some Gilmour easily!
  • Martin Huch -

• Troy Brenningmeyer -

• Albert Paredes -

These guys were my main influences/inspirations to pick up lap steel.

I've got a Duesenberg Fairytale Splitking and a Recording King Humbucker Lap Steel with Certano Benders installed.

Still learning, but they're both infinitely fun! I'll be recording/publishing/posting some recordings of both using the FX3T in the near future, I hope! =)

I take pedal steel guitar lessons and struggled at times, with the pedals and knee levers (5)
My teacher gave me some wise insights: just play one or two notes at a time, and make them sing!
It's helped me with confidence and learning how to "serve" the song.
The FM9 is perfect for lap / pedal steel, because of the amp/cabs/ effects.
You can go "old school" to modern Larkin Poe, with the scenes at a foot tap!

This thread has prompted me to get out the lap steel I made in the late '70s and restring/refresh it. The body shape is kind of a cross vetween a Flying V and an Explorer, sort of like the Dean ML series guitars. That Certano bender sure looks (and sounds) pretty cool. I guess I have to decide if I'd use the lap steel enough to justify the cost of adding the bender.

This thread has prompted me to get out the lap steel I made in the late '70s and restring/refresh it. The body shape is kind of a cross vetween a Flying V and an Explorer, sort of like the Dean ML series guitars. That Certano bender sure looks (and sounds) pretty cool. I guess I have to decide if I'd use the lap steel enough to justify the cost of adding the bender.
Sounds like a Peavey PowerSlide...

@hippietim, I laughed at the title because it reminds me of lines from Airplane, with Lloyd Bridges saying "It looks like I picked the wrong week to give up…" something.
One of the best movies of all time! The scene with the little old lady getting the shake down while terrorists carry heavy weapons through security was almost prophetic!

iu

Back
Top Bottom