this holow tone

jnorum

I'm going crazy, not to make this guitar sound, but I do want to make that "hollow" tone that has this amp.
View since 14:09

It sounds like a wah in a fixed position, it does not have that effect, nor the wah bell, but it has a hollow tone.
The amp was modified by Tommy Folkesson.
Talking to him, he told me the following;

The parametric eq can do just that.
With parametric equalizer you can do what wha-wha does but with more precision
Than any wha.
You just pick a frequency at 650hz boost it about 15dB and then check what Q-value
E.g. Bandwith is up to your taste. There you have your fixed wha sound!
The parametric is just what I put in Kee's Marshall. The first time
In my workshop we used a pedal parametric eq from Ibanez. Dialed in his sound
And then I built it into his Marshalls.

I have tried the parametric equalizer, I have also used filters with bandpass mode, and there is no way, I can not make that hollow tone.
Any ideas?
If someone really succeeds in doing that, I can even pay him

Last edited:
Can you put up a recorded of what you have now? It's hard to help if we don't have a starting place.

Can you put up a recorded of what you have now? It's hard to help if we don't have a starting place.

Well, I really have nothing specific.
At the moment I have this preset:
Http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=5265

You have to put a 4x12 marshall with greenbakcs. I have put the cab G12Ms-SM57-CAP-1-in from Redwirez, and MR-CB71_B_57_R2_I from cabIR.eu.
But I'm still experimenting, that is, any 1960 marshall with greenbacks can serve.
That video up there does not have a good sound, because it is cocked with a camcorder from a distance, but it sounds good "hollow" sound.
But my desire is to make a preset with this tone:
Https://soundcloud.com/user992954030

In this other can be better appreciated, in the guitar solo, in the middle of the song, more or less:
Https://soundcloud.com/user992954030/15-towers-calling

I've been trying to get that tone for a long time, but I can not do it.
Any help will be well received, and paid if necessary

What we really need is a recording of you playing your preset! It won't sound the same with my guitars.

It sounds almost like it's got a auto double tracking effect. Try putting a delay with 25ms time, 50% mix and 0% feedback. You can also hard pan the delay and original signal opposite of each other to get a more spread out sound. Also play around with the modulation.

This is the preset I have made. (I do not know the full cation, I do not even play well, I only play at home when I get bored), but I love that tone of kee marcello.
Https://soundcloud.com/user992954030/test

Anyway, although I have done so, it is not the stereo panorama that I seek, but that tone of the amp.
That amp is a Marshall JMP Superlead, unfortunately, being modified no longer sounds Marshall, sounds like Tommy Folkesson, so it is difficult for me, to find that exact tone, (or very similar).
To leave doubts, I have separated the 2 caals of the original audio, to eliminate the stereo panorama, now I think it sounds real, just as if we were in front of that amp. Sounds certainly different.
Listen to the guitar solo of this song:
Https://soundcloud.com/user992954030/15-towers-calling-1

Another song right channel:
Https://soundcloud.com/user992954030/10-ive-got-this-feeling-right-channel

That tone is what I seek. The choice of a suitable cab is also difficult, I test all 4x12 marshall with greenbacks and sm57, but I do not hit one
If you can try to make a preset that sounds like this, the data I have are the following, I will pay anything, if someone can do it:
Larrivee RS2 guitars, with seymour duncan 59 in neck and Seymour Duncan JB in bridge
Marshall JMP 1970's superlead modified by Tommy Folkesson.(The moficacion,They put three chips of a preamp in the amp JMP.
They increased the gain, middle boost and treble boost), with this midification, No boss pedal for boost is neccesary.

Cab: Marshall 1960 4x12" with Celestion G12M25 from early 70´. (GREENBACKS)
Mic: Shrure SM57
1176 compressor
Pultec EQP-1A equalizer Pultec high-end valve-eq
Sunn SPL-4120, Dual 10 Band Graphic Equalizer
chorus: Roland sdd-320 Dimension D
Reduccion de ruido: Rocktron Hush IICX, 2 Channel, Noise Reduction System
Roland GP-8 multi-effects
Sonic Maximizer.

From Tommy Folkesson:
If we speak about the Solo sound in OOTW, its was my regular modifocation, as I did it then in a
Marshall JMP 100W. And after that Kee wanted something of his own, maybe a little like
Brian May-king od sound-
Then i built in a special midboostfilter,don't know if its right in english, in the lead channel.
That works like if you put in a WhaWha pedal in a permanet position between the guitar and amp!
But Kee only used this position during the solos, whit the Humbucker at neck position,
and maby the tone a bit weakned(The Seymour Duncan fits in their pretty well, a high output single coil,
low out put humbucker, right?). And during the rythms it were only the standard modification
and the pickup in birgde position!!

A parametric eq can do just that.

With the parametric EQ you can do what a wha-wha does but with more precision than any wha.
You just pick a frequency at 650hz boost it about 15dB and then check what Q-value
e.g. bandwith is up to your taste. There you have your fixed wha sound!

A parametric eq is just what I put in Kee´s Marshall. The first time Kee visited me
in my workshop we used a pedal parametric eq from Ibanez. Dialed in his sound
and then I built it into his Marshalls.

I put a parametric equalizer, but I can not find that point, so that it sounds like the "hollow" timbre of a wah, as it sounds in the video of the first post.
Well, it's very difficult for me to make a preset with that tone.

Did you try the delay thing? Even panned center it will give the guitar a hollow sound. You may be hearing that dimension d chorus. You could try the chorus in dimension mode.

I can't help you with eq if I don't have a recording! I still think it may be a delay/pitch thing you are hearing. Even just in mono you can hear it.

Did you try the delay thing? Even panned center it will give the guitar a hollow sound. You may be hearing that dimension d chorus. You could try the chorus in dimension mode.

I can't help you with eq if I don't have a recording! I still think it may be a delay/pitch thing you are hearing. Even just in mono you can hear it.

the recordin is here up

The eq sounds pretty close to me. You might try a few Db boost at 3k-4k.
Try the delay thing I mentioned.

Put a PEQ block in the chain after the amp and boost 3k - 4K by o couple db.
I think you may like the delay it's at least worth a try.

Try this, put a PEQ block in the chain after the amp and boost 3k - 4K by a couple db.
Also try this, put a delay with 25ms time, 50% mix and 0% feedback.
Or, try the chorus in dimension mode.
Try what I suggested and make another recording.

Back
Top Bottom