Thinking of upgrading…need advice

Sounds like you've probably already talked yourself into getting the III (and FC6 probably) - but it's slightly disturbing that you're seemingly doing so believing it will still not be 'enough'?

I've no doubt each successive product upgrade offers something 'more' than it's predecessor but if the fundementals are still not going to be enough to suit you I'm baffled to why you'd even consider buying it.

If you know you definitely want a Fractal modeller then I'd say the only logical solution would be looking more at planning your presets a bit more - mix up those big over-crowded presets into multiple presets that can cater for multiple songs ...... songs (or in in the style of) A, B, C, F, G can be played using preset 1 and songs in the style of D, E and H can be played with Preset 2 etc. That allows you to cut the unneeded FX type blocks out and double up on options for the ones you want/need.
My sincerest apologies.

I didn't mean to say that I would run out of power with the Axe 3. I can now see how it looked that way in my response.
I quoted a post that was saying don't discount the FM3. I meant to say that I think if I bought the FM3 I would be running into the same issue that I have with the AX8 which is running out of cpu.

Again my sincerest apologies on this.

People tend to max out whatever it is they have. The FM3 does ALL I need it to do and more. I never will understand the need for EVERYTHING in one preset. But, I guess that is what you want. Their are easy and LOGICAL workarounds for all of that. The FM3 sounds exactly the same as the III, supposedly minus Cygnus. Cygnus is irrelevant to me but important to many and it will soon be in the FM3 also.
But you certainly won't go wrong with the III. But all things have a limit if you choose to go there....................

Last edited:
My sincerest apologies.

I didn't mean to say that I would run out of power with the Axe 3. I can now see how it looked that way in my response.
I quoted a post that was saying don't discount the FM3. I meant to say that I think if I bought the FM3 I would be running into the same issue that I have with the AX8 which is running out of cpu.

Again my sincerest apologies on this.
Well yes and no, in response to thinking you will run out of "power" with the FM3.. There are MANY more options with the FM3 than the AX8.
If I were playing out still my main concern with my choice of FM3 or III would be portability and $$$. If that is NOT an issue for you the III would be the choice. Just my opinion of course.

Last edited:
I’m currently using an AX8 for recording and live but need more power. I’m thinking of upgrading but I’m struggling to throw down on an axe 3. Is it REALLY night and different from a 2 xl+? I just want to financially make the right move as axe 2 and MFC are pretty cheap at the moment. I mainly play funk metal to praise and worship stuff.

Just kinda needing some help as to what I might gain with a 3 besides more power?

anyone else been in my position?
I should note that I’ve owned a 2 before and last time I bought one a few months later the 3 came out. 🤦🏻‍♂️
I know that is the way of technology though. Lol.

hi,

1: the axe 2 is still awesome and now very afordable. With a bit of luck you by it from a fractal fanatic which means great presets and some extra IR packs. With the 2 you can be happy for the rest of your life.

2. The axe 3 is awesome and indeed even better than the 2. It does mean you will have to pay a lot more. The fractal footcontrollers are very expensive too, but there are cheaper options that sometimes even give you more options.

questions are: Are you the endless tweaker that always wants bigger better faster more, or are you the kind that builds the presets that he needs and is content with that. If thesecond is the case: go for the 2. The only moments you find out that the great sounds it gives you can be even better is when someone walks in with the 3. I for one am a total gearhead but was mega content with the 2. The only reason I bought the 3 was for the extra IR slots and the extra slots for presets ( I have the mark 2). In the beginning I wasn’t even “wowed” by the difference in sound betweeen my 2 and 3. Since then there have been major updates, but keep in mind that the difference will be between “awesome” for the axe 2 and “amazing” for the axe 3.

your choice, your budget. ( If you buy a 2 for a bargain you can sell it later for the same price as you bought it later). Also: the axe 3 just went up in price like 10%.

Good luck, Harm

I’m thinking of upgrading but I’m struggling to throw down on an axe 3. Is it REALLY night and different from a 2 xl+?

My first Fractal unit was a II XL+. Shortly after buying it, the III came out. I waited about a year to upgrade. My original thought was the III would become my main rig, the XL+ would be my backup. After about 6 months of gigging with the III, I bought a second III so both my A and B rigs were III's. 'Nuff said.

That being said, the XL+ is an AWESOME box. The III is just better enough, in my opinion, to justify the cost of having both rigs identical.

Reactions: D20
hi,

1: the axe 2 is still awesome and now very afordable. With a bit of luck you by it from a fractal fanatic which means great presets and some extra IR packs. With the 2 you can be happy for the rest of your life.

2. The axe 3 is awesome and indeed even better than the 2. It does mean you will have to pay a lot more. The fractal footcontrollers are very expensive too, but there are cheaper options that sometimes even give you more options.

questions are: Are you the endless tweaker that always wants bigger better faster more, or are you the kind that builds the presets that he needs and is content with that. If thesecond is the case: go for the 2. The only moments you find out that the great sounds it gives you can be even better is when someone walks in with the 3. I for one am a total gearhead but was mega content with the 2. The only reason I bought the 3 was for the extra IR slots and the extra slots for presets ( I have the mark 2). In the beginning I wasn’t even “wowed” by the difference in sound betweeen my 2 and 3. Since then there have been major updates, but keep in mind that the difference will be between “awesome” for the axe 2 and “amazing” for the axe 3.

your choice, your budget. ( If you buy a 2 for a bargain you can sell it later for the same price as you bought it later). Also: the axe 3 just went up in price like 10%.

Good luck, Harm
I'd not an endless tweaker. All of my presets currently...I don't deep dive into submenus at all. I feel like I can get a great tone in a matter of minutes by just adjusting a few parameters instead of endlessly tweaking presets and never being content.

I did just see it went up in price as well. I'm about a week to late on those savings haha!

I think at the moment I'm leaning towards the Axe 3.

mix up those big over-crowded presets into multiple presets that can cater for multiple songs ...... songs (or in in the style of) A, B, C, F, G can be played using preset 1 and songs in the style of D, E and H can be played with Preset 2 etc. That allows you to cut the unneeded FX type blocks out and double up on options for the ones you want/need.
This is EXACTLY what I've done and it's made my life infinitely simpler and less frustrating. For instance, my band plays Live's "Lightning Crashes." The intro guitar uses a phaser. This is the only song and only time I use a phaser in my ENTIRE repertoire, yet there it was, just sitting there, eating up DSP in my (previous) 'kitchen sink' preset. Finally I broke it off into it's own preset. Even after I started breaking out into individual presets on my Axe III, I would insist on having a chorus, wah, looper, pitch block, and enhancer block in EVERY preset just in case. I realized how silly that was. Once I ditched those except for the songs/presets that used them, all my presets fit comfortably within the FM3's DSP limitations.

DSP is kind of like money; once you get on a budget and start managing it well, it's almost like you've gotten a raise because you see where it's been wasted and now you see where it's all going and where it can be redirected to be more efficient.

A month ago I was in exactly your position. I can say that the AF3 is a significant upgrade from the AX8, which is also a fine device. I was thinking I would still use the Ax8 for some live gigs - festivals and such, but the more I use the AF3 the more I love it. FA was doing a package deal so got the FC12 as well, and if you are thinking live performance suggest biting the bullet and doing that as well. It's a well thought out controller that helps you not to be tap dancing changing settings.

A month ago I was in exactly your position. I can say that the AF3 is a significant upgrade from the AX8, which is also a fine device. I was thinking I would still use the Ax8 for some live gigs - festivals and such, but the more I use the AF3 the more I love it. FA was doing a package deal so got the FC12 as well, and if you are thinking live performance suggest biting the bullet and doing that as well. It's a well thought out controller that helps you not to be tap dancing changing settings.

Is this package deal still available? I would definitely be using it live and for recording.

Yes, it is that much better. I switched from the II years ago and honestly can't recommend the II anymore unless the III or FM3 are completely out of reach financially.

Don't expect the 3 to turn your guitar playing world upside down.

It is great. But it wont fix anything.
Never haha! If I suck...you are correct LOL! The Axe 3 own't fix that at all!

I think I am still leaning towards the Axe 3 at the moment.

I used to go to church and would talk with the musicians. The guitarist was using a Kemper. I talked to him about the Axe Fx III. For him the Kemper was amazing. I have the Helix, Kemper and Axe Fx III. I think if you’re looking for playing worship music (contemporary Christian) the Axe Fx II or III would do everything you needed.

I upgraded from the Axe2 MK2 to the Axe3 MK2 about three months ago - it's worth every penny. it's built like a tank so will be fine for recording and live use.

This may make zero difference to you but you can run two guitars and a bass through the Axe III at the same time if need be.

There are some other fringe uses I've found, like using it as a low latency audio interface for running Superior Drummer with my Roland kit while also running guitars direct into a mixer and headphone amp for band practice. The thing is a swiss army knife of sorts.

I’m currently using an AX8 for recording and live but need more power. I’m thinking of upgrading but I’m struggling to throw down on an axe 3. Is it REALLY night and different from a 2 xl+? I just want to financially make the right move as axe 2 and MFC are pretty cheap at the moment. I mainly play funk metal to praise and worship stuff.

Just kinda needing some help as to what I might gain with a 3 besides more power?

I should note that I’ve owned a 2 before and last time I bought one a few months later the 3 came out. 🤦🏻‍♂️
I have the AX8, and I had the Axe FX 2..... Ive played the FM3, and own the Axe FX 3. Trust me, right know you have an iPhone 5, and you're gonna upgrade to an iPhone 12. If I was in your position, I would upgrade to the Axe FX 3 in less than a heartbeat. You'll thank us all.

I used and loved the AX8 live and in the studio - the switch to the 3 was completely worth it. More power and flexibility, even before Cygnus. With the III I found that I could get more into a preset and thus reduce the amount of switching I need to do during a live show.

Thanks guys for all the input!!! I just joined the club!
I picked up a III and an FC-6! I may one day upgrade to the FC-12, but I'll see how the FC-6 is for me at first.

Now I need to get a rolling rack :grin:
Once you become a power user for the FC6, you'll probably find you won't even need the 12. I started with the 6 and once you get familiar with layouts, maximizing the tap/hold/combo functions, and per-preset switches, you may even find you don't know what to do with one or two switches lol!

Back
Top Bottom