Thinking of changing my pickup!

Sixstring

Legend!
In my Carvin CT6 I have a pair of Thornbuckers, Thornbucker + in the bridge. I'm not really liking it as of late it's a little to harsh sounding when run on the same preset as my other carvin which is running a standard TB in the bridge.

I wanted to go for a hotter pup in the CT6 as it is a hardtail to kind of pull of the LP thing but I think the Alnico V mag is to strident. I was thinking of running to the TB II which is using Alnico II which from what I understand knocks off the highs a tad.

Should I do this or just build different presets for this guitar? What are your guys thoughts on this ?

I would start by lowering it by about 2/3mm and changing the EQ. If the fundamentals of the tone are still irritating to you only then would I think about swapping out the pickup. Suhr pickups are mostly Hi Fi and bright sounding to me.
The bridge pup is sitting at 3.2mm under the strings! They are on the bright side when compared to a DSV. I will drop the distance and give it a shot! Not really wanting to change them out but if I have to then so be it.

The bridge pup is sitting at 3.2mm under the strings! They are on the bright side when compared to a DSV. I will drop the distance and give it a shot! Not really wanting to change them out but if I have to then so be it.
You can always get one with a cover (plated), or try the new Thornbucker II if you like the basic flavour and just want something a tad more mellow in the top end.

The cheapest reversible mod is to solder a 1meg resistor across the outside pins of your volume pot. This will essentially turn you 500k pot into a 333K pot. This should tame your highs. If this is still not enough, use a 500k resistor instead of a 1 meg. Or, change your 500k pot for a 250k.
HTH

You’re trying to polish a turd. Change the pickups. They’re obviously not voiced to your preference.

Everyone seems to agree they sound darker than other strings. Notice the / in my post. Coated and/or strings darker than usual.
I’m not sure which “everyone” that is. I have used them since they came out and never noticed that. They do hold their sound for a LONG time and are extremely resistant to corrosion and breaking.

Ernie Ball Paradigm strings seem to be as good.

The DSV is the least bright Suhr pickup and one of my favourites .

I would start by lowering it by about 2/3mm and changing the EQ. If the fundamentals of the tone are still irritating to you only then would I think about swapping out the pickup. Suhr pickups are mostly Hi Fi and bright sounding to me.
I would definitely agree about Suhr pickups sounding bright - slightly better in mahogany type bodies.
I just changed the pickups in my Schecter sun valley to to the SSH+ and Ssv and I remember why I took them out of my Suhr guitar as they are soo bright. I actually liked the Schecter sunset strip and Pasadena that were in the but have a touch too much bottom end

Back
Top Bottom