Thinking of buying Axe FX III. Advice pls…

Hey that sounds just what I am aiming at and in a very similar setup. Real encouraging. I really want to simplify our setup and stage clutter so a rack setup is where I am wanting to go. Get rid of multiple midi cables, network cables, xlr cables, power warts etc etc. so for our live rig I am pretty set on an FX3. And from what you good folks have said, an FM9 for rehearsal & practice (whilst the live rig is packed away in the trailer) will be doable. Just need to be careful on block usage. But I am a pretty simple guy :). Fender cleans, edge of breakup, lead with a bit of delay does for me. Doesn’t sound like I will be making the units sweat at all!

That should work great!

I use an FM3 and AxeFX III. Most of my patches were originally created on the AxeFX III, and I FracTool to migrate them. See https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=FracTool for info. Naturally, I can't run my dual-amp patches on the FM3, and it won't support some of the CPU-intensive (and complex) patches. But it's pretty damned great, and the FM3 is a fantastic unit for fly dates and other settings where I don't need my full touring rig.

If I were using a Fractal in a rehearsal space, regardless of whether I store everything there or take it home, I would invest in the most basic, inexpensive laptop I could find along with a mouse mat and mouse just to have the ability to make adjustments using Axe-Edit while at rehearsals.
Fracpad and an iPad work great for this! The graphical interface looks good and works well.

Edit: there some bluetooth midi adapters that make it wireless also.

Imo, buy it. Thank us later.
LOL. I am getting there. It sounds like a lower powered unit like the FM3 will do me but I really wanted to use this ‘gear refresh’ to go rack mounted and have all the current stage clutter tucked away (midi, network, power warts, audio xlrs etc etc). All add to setup time and more crap on the stage to kick and go wrong. I wish they did a budget rack unit with FM3 type power. Now THAT would be no brainier :)

We have a 'quiet' stage so I use hi quality IEMs and we have a decent quality Bose PA system with Electrovoice subs for FOH. I think the PA sounds pretty good for just about everything else that goes through it (Vocals, Keys, Horns even Bass) but my Strat and PRS Pauls Git both sound thin and harsh (I dont play Les Paul). Pulling down the tone means the clarity suffers. The QC doesnt give me clarity without harshness. I guess I am not dialling it in right but I never had this issue with the Kemper I had before (I hated the Kemper UI and Mac editor BTW, which is why it is gone...) :) )
What does a typical preset look like for you? The QC parametric EQ is very powerful so maybe a slight tweak there could do it for you. Also do you find that the PA sounds better vs your IEMs or vice versa?

I'm asking because it doesn't match my experience with the QC. There is IMO nothing that inherently makes it harsh or dull sounding.

To those suggesting the FM3, keep in mind the OP has said he wants to keep the stage as clean as possible. The FM3 needs power and at least one output cable running to the front of the stage. The FX3 would only need a single XLR cable to the front of the stage for the FC unit.

I run my FX3 in stereo and have a third output cable running to the mixer for the drummer's monitor (for just one song where the FX3 sequencer is essentially our click track). That's a total of four cables when you include power. The 3 audio cables only need to be 10' in length to reach our mixer, which is part of the backline. (Soundcraft Ui24r) But I only need a single 20' or 30' XLR cable to my FC6 at the front of the stage.

To those suggesting the FM3, keep in mind the OP has said he wants to keep the stage as clean as possible. The FM3 needs power and at least one output cable running to the front of the stage. The FX3 would only need a single XLR cable to the front of the stage for the FC unit.

I run my FX3 in stereo and have a third output cable running to the mixer for the drummer's monitor (for just one song where the FX3 sequencer is essentially our click track). That's a total of four cables when you include power. The 3 audio cables only need to be 10' in length to reach our mixer, which is part of the backline. (Soundcraft Ui24r) But I only need a single 20' or 30' XLR cable to my FC6 at the front of the stage.
Yeah, the rack thing is where I want to go really. I can see now that an FX3 will be way over powered for my simple needs :). But the form factor wins it. And to be able to use the FM3 for practice & rehearsal with (mostly) the same presets and set lists etc is a real bonus.
Thanks for all the help and advice here. I have been very impressed at the amount of helpful people there are here willing to jump in and offer advice. Another good reason to go Fractal. :). I will be ordering the FX3 this weekend. As for the FM3, I will wait until I get back to the U.K. in April as i Will be using it through the summer to practice all the new material we have planned for out winter season back in the US. Thanks again for the help y’all.

Keep in mind that if you get the Axe-Fx III for onstage use you will also need an FC6, or possibly an FC12. So unless you need massive power and flexibility, the FM3 or FM9 will be amazing for gigging. I’d lean towards the FM9 unless space ie really at a premium.

Keep in mind that if you get the Axe-Fx III for onstage use you will also need an FC6, or possibly an FC12. So unless you need massive power and flexibility, the FM3 or FM9 will be amazing for gigging. I’d lean towards the FM9 unless space ie really at a premium.
Hey Doug
Thanks for that. I am keen on the rack unit, despite it being serious overkill for me, so I can reduce setup and tear down times. We do 2-3 gigs a week and I am 'that guy' that does the PA and sound setup/manage etc. So if I can shave off half hour connecting up all the pedals, midi, network etc at each gig, that is a big deal for me over a 4 month run of shows.
As for the FC units, well our shows are virtually 100% automated. I can honestly say that the only button I press on my Quad Cortex all night is the Tuner! And I can do without that on the floor anyway. We use tracks, click and midi to automate the whole show. So having everything pre-configured in the rack has real appeal! Even the vocal effects used by the singer are pre-configured and automated to the track with midi, same with the lights.I think we run more Ethernet & midi cables than we do audio XLR cables! But I will def be getting an FM3 as well to use for practice, testing patches and travelling to smaller gigs etc.
Thanks for your help

I had the QC - I also found it harsh.
Fractal FM3/Axe3 - much better.

I have both the FM3 and Axe3, but I gig with the FM3. It's outstanding for gigging.

Back
Top Bottom